MM de Capo I centerspeaker available.

CharlesL

« on: 4 Oct 2005, 01:13 am »
Sure is quiet here lately, however for those who use the MM de Capo's in a combined stereo/HT setup, here is what I heard from Tash:

"MM de Capo-i in piano grade gloss black finish is available in center aligned driver configuration for center channel use in surround sound systems. They are not magnetically shielded however as we find it to compromise the performance quality.  They do not effect the projection, LCD and Plasma televisions but need to be placed about 40 cm away from the standard tube television sets."

I was/still am sort of, considering getting one but to be honest I don't miss a centerspeaker at all ... the imaging in phantom mode is already excellent. Don't know the price but I assume it's about half of a full pair.

kwl

« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2005, 06:52 pm »
I have such a beast; I may be the only one.  The tonal match is excellent, as you would expect.  It could be better off axis.  I paid half the pair price when I bought the set (L, C, R).

CharlesL

« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2005, 01:58 am »
Nice to hear that someone on this board actually has one. What improvements did you hear after adding the center when watching movies and/or music dvd's compared to just phantom mode?

Do you have pictures of your setup? I'm curious how it looks and how you have set up the center.

kwl

« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2005, 07:48 pm »
I have never used a phantom center, so I can't comment on that front.  My center is positioned on top of a Pioneer Elite Pro-510HD projection tv with a wedge (doorstop) placed under the back edge to direct it somewhat closer to my primary listening position (~12 ft).  Positioning this way is obviously not ideal.  Since my system is a hybrid 2-channel and HT system that the whole family uses, this was the only real solution.  If you do watch tv or DVDs with your decapos, you really do owe it to yourself to get a quality center channel, whether it is a decapo or not.  I can't image doing TV/HT without it.

CharlesL

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2005, 09:41 pm »
You can easily test the phantom center effect with most surroundreceivers and pre/processors like this; just tell your pre/pro or receiver that you have NO center (you can even leave all cables connected). This way the "phantom center" mode will be automatically engaged...  like I said, I have it setup like this and I really do not miss a centerspeaker with movies or music dvd's at the moment. That's why I am so eager to hear about your comparison.