Bryston power isolation units

aleduc

Bryston power isolation units
« on: 19 Feb 2020, 04:07 pm »
Hello James,

I would like some clarification regarding Bryston's Power isolation units. 
First regarding the difference between a standard BIT20 and a BIT20AVR.  Does the BIT20 only filters the electrical current or does it also stabilize it?  If so, from a current stabilization point of view and resulting sound quality, what is the difference between the both units?

Second, I was told that I could use the BIT15 with a 4B3.  Is this true?  Your website suggest using the BIT15 with amplifier under 100w. Could you please clarify?  Of course, if the BIT15 is sufficient and provides a similar performance as the BIT20, then I would get the BIT15 an save some money!

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston power isolation units
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2020, 06:32 pm »
Hello James,

I would like some clarification regarding Bryston's Power isolation units. 
First regarding the difference between a standard BIT20 and a BIT20AVR.  Does the BIT20 only filters the electrical current or does it also stabilize it?  If so, from a current stabilization point of view and resulting sound quality, what is the difference between the both units?

Second, I was told that I could use the BIT15 with a 4B3.  Is this true?  Your website suggest using the BIT15 with amplifier under 100w. Could you please clarify?  Of course, if the BIT15 is sufficient and provides a similar performance as the BIT20, then I would get the BIT15 an save some money!

Thanks!

Hi Al,

We recommend the BIT 20 with power amps over 200 watts as the isolation transformer is much larger in the 20 amp unit.  With the 15 amp BIT and the larger amps you might get some HUM from the internal BIT transformer when under heavy load.

The AVR unit is the one that will regulate the voltage within 5 volts - up or down. I generally recommend the AVR in areas where there are significant differences in the power delivered to your home.  In most cases this is not an issue as most quality gear will operate over a fairly wide power range.

james

aleduc

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2020, 02:02 pm »
Thank you for your response James, it is much appreciated.

masi61

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2020, 08:47 pm »
I’m using the BIT-15 with my Bryston 4B2 amp and it seems fine. I never noticed any kind of noise from the BIT-15.

I’m loving how quiet everything is. Also, I feel like the bass dynamics are good with the BIT-15. At first I was wondering if the dynamics were somewhat worse but I leave my system on 24/7 and I’d swear that my sound quality has gotten better over time. I have no idea why though.

The annunciation of vocals and how distinguishable background vocals and details are could be better with my Thiel CS-3.6 speakers. I have wondered about experimenting with upgraded power cords from the wall to the BIT-15, and from the BIT-15 to the 4B2. Things have gotten quite good with my system aside from this issue.