Reducing electrical noise on external hard drives (LPS? better SMPS?)

sonicxtc

Obviously, electrical noise(s) generated by computers and SMPS are an inherent issue in digital computer based audio and impact playback. So, I'm wondering about noise generated in downloading and copying files.

Most of my music files are hirez files downloaded directly TO an external hard drive which is powered by a standard cheap 12 volt SMPS. Later, I back up the files from external hard drive #1 to external hard drive #2 (also powered by a cheap SMPS). The hard drives are fed via a standard usb cable from my desktop computer.

Okay, does this mean the files themselves are at risk of being inherently and permanently impacted by "noise? E.g. 5 volt usb power noise, the computer's own electrical noise or the noise generated by the SMPS feeding the external hard drives?

Sure, I understand how such noise could impact playback (and that's another arena of interest), but could the "noise(s)" actually impact the transfer of the files such that the files themselves are inherently sonically degraded?

I welcome any feedback and potential suggestions that don't involve a drill press, a lobotomy or narcotics.

Thank you.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
Sure, I understand how such noise could impact playback (and that's another arena of interest), but could the "noise(s)" actually impact the transfer of the files such that the files themselves are inherently sonically degraded?

I welcome any feedback and potential suggestions that don't involve a drill press, a lobotomy or narcotics.

Thank you.
Short answer....No.

Long answer, check for yourself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_verification
Run a hash-function on the file before and after transfer and you will know with a high-degree of certainty that the file has changed or not.

Any changes to the file introduced by the transfer would create a different hash-function result.

While possible, it is unlikely.

Mike-48

Obviously, electrical noise(s) generated by computers and SMPS are an inherent issue in digital computer based audio and impact playback. [...] I welcome any feedback and potential suggestions that don't involve a drill press, a lobotomy or narcotics.

You may want to consider counterexamples. As far as SMPS, IMO you would need to have a very, very resolving system in a very quiet room to have a hope of hearing the noise generated by a competently designed SMPS. By rectifying a higher-frequency AC signal, they make it possible to filter the DC better and reduce noise. Of course, cheap wallwarts may in some cases cause problems, but, e.g., the Classe CP-800 preamp has a well-engineered SMPS. and it's ranked quite highly by many, including John Atkinson.

As to electrical noise from computers, I've never heard network-streamed audio in which such noise was audible. Indeed, I think you'd have to have a system like Robert Harley (and a dedicated, acoustician-designed, silent room to match) to hear these things -- if you could hear them even then. I've heard USB-connected systems that sounded better than those with no computers. It all depends on the design of the connected equipment, IMO.

Why, then, is "everyone" convinced that such things are true? Well, manufacturers are looking for something to sell and points to make in ads, and magazines are looking for something to talk about. Audiophiles are always looking for a quick fix, rather than doing hard things like building a wall around the refrigerator or installing acoustic treatments or treating room modes with DSP or repositioned equipment.

So while SMPS and computer *might* induce noise in a system made up of poorly-designed equipment, in my experience, they are not the major sources of noise that outside traffic, HVAC systems, the refrigerator in the kitchen, the fan in a computer or piece of audio equipment, or a humming transformer can be.
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2017, 06:04 pm by Mike in NC »

Big Red Machine

Buying a nice solid DC power supply goes a long way to eliminating electrical noise. My biggest noise issue now is the actual spinning hard drive of the external 5 TB unit. I have the noise level down so much now that I notice this mechanical noise over all else. I have placed isolators under the unit but that is not working. I am going to add a 20 foot USB cable and set it outside the room next. I am not sure if plugging it into my modem upstairs will work.

Someone here mentioned a very solid DC pwr supply and I found one on Ebay recently for $65. Wonderful unit. Ten Tec 937. For HAM radio users.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Buying a nice solid DC power supply goes a long way to eliminating electrical noise. My biggest noise issue now is the actual spinning hard drive of the external 5 TB unit. I have the noise level down so much now that I notice this mechanical noise over all else. I have placed isolators under the unit but that is not working. I am going to add a 20 foot USB cable and set it outside the room next. I am not sure if plugging it into my modem upstairs will work.

Someone here mentioned a very solid DC pwr supply and I found one on Ebay recently for $65. Wonderful unit. Ten Tec 937. For HAM radio users.

NAS outside of the music room is the best solution.

I don't care how loud or quiet the NAS is by putting it elsewhere.   :thumb:

George

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
NAS outside of the music room is the best solution.

I don't care how loud or quiet the NAS is by putting it elsewhere.   :thumb:

George
Yep.  Mine is on the second floor and my system is downstairs.  Zero noise!

mcgsxr

Yep.  Mine is on the second floor and my system is downstairs.  Zero noise!

+2.  My server lives in the media closet along with all the other gear.  Amps, DAC's and everything else in that closet too.  Speakers only in the listening room.

Mike-48

(Agreeing with others.) Absolutely the best way to eliminate disc noise is to put the NAS in another location. Failing that, one could move to SSDs, but that's still really costly. I expect that in another few years, they will be appreciably cheaper.

simoon

Check out the products by Ebay seller, Elfidelity.

They make several products specifically designed to filter PC/HD noise for audio purposes.

Here's a product that my friend purchased. Made a significant difference.