CD Footfall Isolation

belyin

CD Footfall Isolation
« on: 4 Jan 2010, 12:08 am »
My annual New Year's Day party turned into a raucous dance party. While my wall mounted turntable withstood the test, my cd transport (on a rack) was thrown off by the shaking house (raised frame construction.) Short of wall mounting the transport, what sort of footers should I try? I was thinking about Herbie's Tenderfeet, but they are probably more tuned to micro rather than macro vibrations. Are some sort of roller ball system a better choice? The transport is a Denon DN-C680 broadcast cd player, and it weighs about 14 lbs.

electricbear

Re: CD Footfall Isolation
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2010, 02:10 am »
The Audioquest Qfeet work surprisingly well. I had a client who built his equipment and speakers into a false wall. It looked rather neat but he played his music so loud that the vibration from the speakers would cause Sunfire pre/pro to jump inputs. The vibration was that extreme. I put some of the Qfeet underneath the pre/pro and problem was gone. Give them a try I'm sure they will work.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: CD Footfall Isolation
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2010, 12:33 am »
For the best sonic result, you should consider TenderSoft Tenderfeet; they certainly address micro-vibration issues superbly, but also take care of a good deal of macro (footfall). For bringing out and developing the best potential of your system, you really don't want any Sorbothane products that achieve some macro benefit at the cost of sonic trade-offs. In order to advance your system's true potential, you don't want trade-offs, only improvements.

The rack and components can be better isolated in a macro-vibration environment also by placing grungebuster Dots between shelf and shelf supports and decoupling the rack at the floor with a dBNeutralizer product like Fat Gliders, Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders, or Big Fat Dots.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2010, 01:20 am by Herbie »