HAL's Amazingly Incredible Nearly Prototype Music Server

HAL

Re: HAL's Amazingly Incredible Nearly Prototype Music Server
« Reply #200 on: 23 Nov 2012, 06:44 pm »
One MS-1 on the way to NJ for the ACA gathering in December.

One MS-1 is being built up for my bother-in-law for his digital music collection.  Will deliver that one tomorrow and install it.   :D

HAL

« Reply #201 on: 26 Nov 2012, 01:28 am »
For people using USB powered DAC's, I talked to Dave Elledge and had him make me a DISCREET USB cable for my setup.   This cable eliminates the 5V power line from the cable for use with powed USB devices like the M2Tech Evo.  Helps to lower the noise floor of the MS-1 setup.

I also had Dave make me a DISCREET USB cable powered from my BatteryBUSS.   Used this with a DAC that is USB powered and the noise floor droped a lot!   

Have asked Dave to make me another DISCREET USB cable for the MS-1 that shipped to the ACA gathering in NJ.  He will ship it to shadowlight once it is built for the listening session.  This works very well with the MS-1, CI Audio Transient MKII USB DAC and the CI Audio external power supply.  I tried it here with my setup.   :thumb:

shadowlight

« Reply #202 on: 26 Nov 2012, 02:03 am »
Equipment list updated for ACA/Melody gathering in Princeton, NJ.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110327.new#new

HAL

« Reply #203 on: 27 Nov 2012, 12:49 pm »
shadowlight has the MS-1 now for the ACA gathering on 15 Dec.  Looking forward to the comments from the event.

That was the last MS-1 that I can build.  As with all PC's getting the hardward is only for a limited time.  Hopefully it will find a good home.   :D

It has been fun building these and meeting new folks along the way.  Always fun to help folks rediscover their music collection and having the chance to listen to the new HiRez formats as well.

Early B.

« Reply #204 on: 27 Nov 2012, 01:34 pm »
That was the last MS-1 that I can build.  As with all PC's getting the hardward is only for a limited time. 

Are you gonna build an MS-2?

HAL

« Reply #205 on: 27 Nov 2012, 01:54 pm »
I would build an MS-2 if there is interest. 

I will start another thread to discuss ideas for the next generation.   Will see how much interest it has and gauge it that way. 

saisunil

« Reply #206 on: 27 Nov 2012, 03:15 pm »
Hal, I would be interested in the next gen computer server ... I need something soon ... figuring out if I go via Mac/PC route or get a purpose built music server. There are too many choices and everyone has the "best" dog in the fight ;)

Sunil

Phil A

« Reply #207 on: 27 Nov 2012, 03:27 pm »
Hal, I would be interested in the next gen computer server

+1

shadowlight

« Reply #208 on: 27 Nov 2012, 03:44 pm »
Hal, I would be interested in the next gen computer server ... I need something soon ... figuring out if I go via Mac/PC route or get a purpose built music server. There are too many choices and everyone has the "best" dog in the fight ;)

Sunil

Sunil,

Touch base with Rich (HAL), the one that is visiting Princeton is going to be sold and will be available on the 15th to take home with you along with the USB cable.  If you want some time on your own without the crowd with MS-1 and the Transient come over early on the 15th.

HAL

« Reply #209 on: 27 Nov 2012, 03:48 pm »
Sunil,
If you want to try the MS-1 that is going to shadowlight's for the ACA gathering, you are more than welcome to give it a demo.

PM me you contact information if you do decide to give it a try.

HAL

« Reply #210 on: 18 Dec 2012, 01:50 am »
The ACA gathering in NJ was last weekend. 

Hope everyone enjoyed the MS-1 demo with the CI Audio Transient MKII DAC.

Happy Holiday's! :)

HAL

« Reply #211 on: 7 Jan 2013, 12:16 am »
The demo MS-1 was purchased and will have some updates done before shipping out. 

The last of the production run it complete.  Hope they like it.

HAL

« Reply #212 on: 12 Jan 2013, 08:16 pm »
Found another interesting use for the MS-1.

I purchased on of the PrimeVibe units that is used for musical instrument break-in.  It uses music as the signal source.

Hooking up the original prototype MS-1's motherboard DAC output to the PrimeVibe and letting it play for 100 hours.  Putting the library on the SSD drive so no moving parts for the 100 hours.  Put the transducers on the Gibson SG Special and once the library is copied will start the process.

JBrahms

« Reply #213 on: 18 Jan 2013, 03:56 pm »
Here is the Dagogo.com review of the MS-1 Music Server.

Thanks goes to Dr. Laurence Borden and Constantine Soo for all the time and effort to do the wonderful write-up.

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=1100

HAL, I might suggest that you put this dagogo link into your first post on this thread; it's really a great framework for the newbies like myself because it explains everything A to Z.

HAL

« Reply #214 on: 18 Jan 2013, 04:59 pm »
Good suggestion!

Done.  It is now in the second post in the thread.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #215 on: 18 Jan 2013, 05:32 pm »
CONGRATS Rich. A fine product indeed.

charles

HAL

« Reply #216 on: 18 Jan 2013, 05:37 pm »
Thanks Charles!  Hopefully folks will enjoy the MS-2 as well as the MS-1.

HAL

« Reply #217 on: 26 Apr 2013, 10:22 pm »
Building one more MS-1 for the second ever owner as he wants to setup a second system.   No wood top, but have the original metal top with standoff's like the original prototype to install.   I found a chassis to build it. 

HAL

« Reply #218 on: 19 May 2013, 01:28 am »
The MS-1 is complete and boxed up for shipping on Monday. 

Still love building these little guys.  The make a lot of music in a small size package.

Back to MS-2 fun.

HAL

« Reply #219 on: 18 Feb 2014, 11:55 am »
An MS-1 owner is buying an MS-2 as an upgrade.  He maybe interested in selling the MS-1 if someone is interested.

If someone is interested, let me know and I will pass it on to him.  I will post more after I talk with him on Friday.