Review of NuPrime Hi-mDAC

rustydoglim

Review of NuPrime Hi-mDAC
« on: 12 Feb 2020, 01:24 am »
Review of this small but mighty Hi-mDAC:  https://www.head-fi.org/threads/review-of-the-nuprime-audio-hi-mdac-portable-usb-dac-amp-for-computer-and-mobile-devices.924951/#post-15456238

For North America customer, you can order H-mDAC on Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/Hi-mDAC-Ultra-Compact-Consumption-Versatile-Headphone/dp/B084JHWR2T/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Hi-mDAC&qid=1581470464&sr=8-1
We will give you a rebate (as a refund discount) if you write a > 50 words review on Amazon.com. 

trhunnicutt01

Re: Review of NuPrime Hi-mDAC
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2020, 12:16 am »
Hi Rusty,

Long time lurker. Receiving my mDAC on Thursday. Ordered before I saw this offer.
Looking forward to hearing the unit with my Qobuz and Audirvana setup.
Anything I need to do after posting the review vis-a-vis your gracious offer above?

Please let me know and hope you and yours are staying safe!

Tom

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2020, 04:07 pm »
Hi Rusty,
Still loving my new Hi-mDAC. I noticed in the website that it states ........ minimize pre-echos and ringing artifacts, the CS43131 is designed with proprietary digital-interpolation filters that support five selectable digital filter responses. Filtering options include low group delay with pseudo-linear phase and a fast or slow roll-off.

Since there is no manual, how does one select from the 5 digital filter responses? Also i seek your advice on volume controls. I have one on my iPad Pro (source) one on the Hi-mDAC which feeds my preamp and one on the preamp. Is there a best sounding match between the 3.

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2020, 06:30 pm »
You can't configure the chip with Hi-mDAC.  I am not sure those filters affect audio sound quality. We exposed the configuration for Evo DAC with the ESS chip and all it caused is confusion. So just stick to whatever is set.

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2020, 09:25 pm »
Thanks Rusty, Any opinion/advice on the volume setting ?

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2020, 10:14 pm »
Set phone or PC source volume to max.

Soren Kierkegaard

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2020, 01:48 pm »
Hi Rusty,

I've had the Hi -mDAC for a couple of weeks now and have been listening to it constantly here in Italy. It's fantastic. I even wrote a review for Amazon.it. The sound is clean and spacious.

I don't know if you have anything to do with the company but why hasn't this thing been sent to Zeos or DMS or Darko or someone like that for a YouTube review? Nobody here has heard of it, I might be the only person in Europe, or at least in Italy to own it. Such a great product but the marketing really sucks.

I mainly listen to classical music and the sound is spectacular, even at the highest volume. I've even connected it to a small bravo V2 tube amp to listen to my 250ohm DT880's and there's still no noise. There was at first but I then discovered that it was a problem with the source.

A question: what kind of headphones would you recommend with this Dac/amp?

rustydoglim

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jun 2020, 09:43 pm »
I don't know if you have anything to do with the company but why hasn't this thing been sent to Zeos or DMS or Darko or someone like that for a YouTube review? Nobody here has heard of it, I might be the only person in Europe, or at least in Italy to own it. Such a great product but the marketing really sucks.

1) Unlike many global big brands who have global marketing budget, We keep our price low (Nuprime typically competes with products costing much more) with low marketing budget. There is no magic bullet. We grow slow, but we don't go broke.  A large marketing and sales budget means more staff, and a sudden turn in the economy could wipe us out.

2) We rely on our distributors to handle local marketing. So it is up to them to market it in Italy. 

3) Most dealers don't like to sell Hi-mDAC.  High support cost relative to the price. There is not much profit in it, some people try it just for fun on Amazon, then return it. 

It is very difficult to sell "good and cheap" products  :duh:  Please spread the words, help us keep the price low.

Soren Kierkegaard

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jun 2020, 11:20 pm »
Thanks for the response, I understand the global budget thing, it makes sense not to spend on all that if you want to grow slowly but surely and not go broke.

I can't say I agree with you about sending a sample to one of these to Zeos, I think its a really good idea and can't cost more than the one Hi-mDac and the postage cost. Anyway, I just insist  because I'm so impressed by the sound.

Thanks again for taking to the time to respond.