Midnight Club II

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Midnight Club II
« on: 16 Jun 2003, 02:24 am »
After kicking the the Covenant's and the Flood's posterior in Legendary mode I decided to take a break from single player Halo. Multiplayer Halo is always fun with so many maps and game types and customizable variations.

The question was which type of game to buy for the next X-box experience. Now that I have a Sony XBR TV and pseudo HT setup the X-box is even more fun.

I considered Extreme Beach Volleyball but after a little investigation it seemed that it might be a short term cheap thrill. After perusing the latest Xbox games I decided to go the way of automotive mayhem.

One of the few games I have played extensively on PC was Carmageddon, both II and III. Carmageddon is one of those guilty pleasures that you don't mention to your young nephew for fear of corrupting a relative.  Cars are destroyed and pedestrians (human, zombie, and animal, it doesn't matter) are splattered all over the sidewalks and storefronts. If they are not killed outright, they may hop around on their one remaining leg, until you come back around to finish them off. Opponent drivers breath murderous threats and taunt you as you jump off any available ramps to piledrive onto their cars. All with amazing, if surreal, physics.

Now there is Club Midnight II for the X-box (and PS2). After driving around L.A. at night in cruise mode like one of the guys on the higfh speed chase shows, I see that this game holds promise. Pedestians leap out of the way of my rice-burner. The physics is awesome. The damage to my car when I smash into another vehicle at a stop light seems realistic (where oh where are the brakes on this thing). Oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the expressway makes a real effort to evade my swerving vehicle traveling at over 100 mph.

This is actually a street racing game where you advance through your "career" as a member of those illegal street racing clubs. There is lots of music (cutomizazble I am sure) and what really sounds exciting is that it is X-box Live enabled. You will talk trash before and during the races, and there are scorebboards and all the other live stuff.

This one seems to be a real keeper. The graphics and sound are incredible.

1-4 players (System Link 1-8  )
Dolby Digital
HDTV 480p
HDTV 16x9
Online multiplayer

bubba966

Midnight Club II
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2003, 07:42 am »
Hmmm, sounds interesting. I played Carmageddon to death. And played Carmageddon II a bit as well.

What else would you compare it to? Kinda sounds a bit like Crazy Taxi (which was fun, though not awesome).

I'm kinda looking for something like Beatle Adventure Racing, Rush, or F-Zero. But I think I'm a bit SOL until F-Zero hits the 'cube...

Woodsea

Midnight Club II
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2003, 10:01 am »
Point of impact 2, sounds really nice.  I will be checking this one out this week. http://www.teamxbox.com/view_reviews.php?id=493&fc=1#2685

jqp

• Volunteer
Midnight Club II
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2003, 05:23 pm »
Quote from: bubba966
Hmmm, sounds interesting. I played Carmageddon to death. And played Carmageddon II a bit as well.

What else would you compare it to? Kinda sounds a bit like Crazy Taxi (which was fun, though not awesome).

I'm kinda looking for something like Beatle Adventure Racing, Rush, or F-Zero. But I think I'm a bit SOL until F-Zero hits the 'cube...

Carmageddon TDR2000 was even better (III). When I jumped from building to building I could really feel my stomach drop!

Now that I have played Midnight Club II a bit more I see that you have to beat the character from point a to point b in the city to get to the next level. What you do is pursue the character to learn where point b is, then try to pass him the next time. Also you have to evade the police who are trying to catch the "illegal street racers". This is just the beginning stages so I am not sure what happens later.

Most driving seems to take place at night. It is an opportunity for some great graphics (headlights on different driving surfaces) Graphics definitely an improvement over Carmageddon.

But I am not able to compare it to anything but Carmageddon II and III on PC.

jqp

• Volunteer
Midnight Club II
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2003, 05:29 pm »
Quote from: Woodsea
Point of impact 2, sounds really nice.  I will be checking this one out this week. http://www.teamxbox.com/view_reviews.php?id=493&fc=1#2685

Looks like a must have too. Too bad these games are $50 a pop!

jqp

• Volunteer
Midnight Club II
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2003, 12:47 am »
I found a decent review

"There are a few different types of races in MC II. The first and most common is to race to each checkpoint. Once you hit one checkpoint, the next one will pop up on the map showing you where to go. Another type of race involves clearing all the check points in a specific time. The one difference MC II has on other racers is that there is no predetermined track to race on, or one road you must take. Even if all the racers turn left, you can decide to keep heading straight to head them off at a turn. MC II makes you think not only in terms of how fast to go and when to turn, but whether or not you should make the turn now, or blast your nitrous and fly straight ahead. This is where joy riding comes in handy. The more of the course you have learned, the less hesitation comes when the big moment arrives. This is definitely a change in pace, and even though it might not be something racers are used to, will learn to appreciate later. Gone are the days of mindless racing around a track 50 times, in MC II your wits need to be as fast as your car.

MC II brings a few interesting moves to the racing genre such as nitrous boosting, weight transfer and my favorite, drafting. Of course all racing games have nitrous or some sort of boosting, but the weight transfer and drafting are two things in particular that are going to add a little fun to each race. When taking those big jumps from above, you’ll be able to even your car out with weight transfer, if not, you’ll end up out of control and flipped over. Another little weight transfer trick is almost like a James Bond trick that I still can’t believe Rockstar put in. You have the ability to transfer your weight to either the left or right side of the car literally flipping you on your side for some two wheel driving. Very useful in tight spots, but I still give it a strange look anytime I do it. My favorite trick of all, and something a lot of people should take advantage of online, is the draft technique. If anyone has seen Days of Thunder, you know that drafting behind a car allows you to ride at the same speed as the car in front of you, but with less resistance. In MC II the same applies and riding behind someone for a few seconds will give you a much appreciated boost. This is definitely one of the most valuable skills acquired in the game, and helped me win many close races...
"

http://www.tothegame.com/review.asp?id=33

Still haven't gone online yet with it - figure I'd better get a little more experience, but I may just have to go for it.

Sean Parque

• http://www.av123.com
Midnight Club II
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2003, 10:37 pm »
Thanks for the review!  It's next on my list.  ...and Carmageddon was and still is a freaking blast :)

jqp

• Volunteer
Midnight Club II
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2003, 06:31 am »
A programmer I worked with back in I think 1999 recommended Carmageddon to me. I had never heard of it and no one else I knew had either. About that time I think TDR 2000 came out and I found it at BB for $20! I got a couple of friends to buy it and we played over the net on our own servers several times.

Was Carmageddon ever a big hit? It seems it was bigger in England...

bubba966

Midnight Club II
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2003, 07:23 am »
Quote from: jqp
Was Carmageddon ever a big hit? It seems it was bigger in England...

Big hit? Dunno. But I sure knew a few people that played it. Also had fun with the "Splat Pack" for the original. Didn't play 2 very much. And I'd all but quit 'puter gaming after 2 was released, so I wasn't aware of 3.

Didja ever try to beat a level by killing all the peds? I only bothered once, as once took long enough... :lol:

Sean Parque

• http://www.av123.com
Midnight Club II
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2003, 07:20 pm »
Sorry, it was Carma2...never played the first one...

My wife at the time actually tried to kill all the peds...she was there for hours :)

jqp

• Volunteer
Midnight Club II
« Reply #10 on: 15 Jul 2003, 04:09 am »
I actually killed all the peds at least once - something like 2000 peds I think. Also set up a server and played the gmes like hot potatoe and duel with my friend. In 3 you could knock one leg off a ped and they would hop around.