Logic of Power Cords and/or conditioners

opaqueice

Re: Logic of Power Cords and/or conditioners
« Reply #80 on: 4 Jan 2009, 06:52 am »
Quote from: occam
If they're below the noise, well.... well what????
But indeed, your approach does take the use of actual human beings out of the determination as to whether human beings can actually perceive differences.

Now that's funny, thanks Paul.  :lol:

Lin :)

It's funny 'cause it's...  not true?

Clearly neither of you guys has tried AD.  I recommend it.  Who knows - it might even serve as a wake up call.

Browntrout

« Reply #81 on: 4 Jan 2009, 10:06 am »
I don't really understand why there is such debate about proof. All I can imagine this blind testing will show is what we already know, some people will hear a difference and other won't.
   The logic of powercords and conditioners is fairly simple and obvious, if you have listened to hifi powered by batteries you have the logic for powercords and conditioners right there.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #82 on: 4 Jan 2009, 12:21 pm »
I know very little about the science of power management.  I do know that I hear noise sometimes from other things that I shouldn't hear if source signal was isolated from power source feeding the equipment.  I run a regenerator to isolate my system from the power grid.  After that, I look for well designed (by trial and error mostly) gear that keeps signal and power isolated but rascally gremlins seem to find ways into my source signal.  I am thinking leakage happens via circuitry (inherent in the design) or by inductive/capacitive "jump" (poor shielding?).  Felicia improved my digital source after the regenorator.  Equipments with physically separated power supply tend to do better than ones with PS in one box.  Then power cords even after a regenorator make a difference.  I do what I can to keep the signal as isolated as possible but I try not to go too overboard.  At this point I have a system that will play music so that I can lose myself in the music.  I am happy now.   But I keep fiddling because the process of fiddling is a big part of the magic of this hobby.  I get a Sisyphusian joy out of it all. :thumb:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #83 on: 4 Jan 2009, 02:51 pm »
Quote from: occam
If they're below the noise, well.... well what????
But indeed, your approach does take the use of actual human beings out of the determination as to whether human beings can actually perceive differences.

Now that's funny, thanks Paul.  :lol:

Lin :)

It's funny 'cause it's...  not true?

Clearly neither of you guys has tried AD.  I recommend it.  Who knows - it might even serve as a wake up call.

Now that's sad opa.  :(

Lin  :)

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #84 on: 4 Jan 2009, 02:51 pm »
 :oops:  bad click

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #85 on: 4 Jan 2009, 08:23 pm »
i use aftermarket power cords, albeit cheap ones - home-brew stuff that cost me ~$30 per cord.  i can't rationalize spending more than that.  but, i also use independent isolation transformers on all digital gear, and i use balanced power conditioners on everything.  (yes, even the isolation transformers are plugged into balanced power.)

but, i still have one problem - in my present abode - a one-room carriage house above a garage - everything comes from one panel.  and, when, for example, you turn off the fluorescent light in the kitchen area, you hear the "pop" thru the speakers.  i'd love to get rid of this - any suggestions?  sorry, if this is seen as a practical, productive question.   :lol:

doug s.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #86 on: 4 Jan 2009, 08:37 pm »
i use aftermarket power cords, albeit cheap ones - home-brew stuff that cost me ~$30 per cord.  i can't rationalize spending more than that.  but, i also use independent isolation transformers on all digital gear, and i use balanced power conditioners on everything.  (yes, even the isolation transformers are plugged into balanced power.)

but, i still have one problem - in my present abode - a one-room carriage house above a garage - everything comes from one panel.  and, when, for example, you turn off the fluorescent light in the kitchen area, you hear the "pop" thru the speakers.  i'd love to get rid of this - any suggestions?  sorry, if this is seen as a practical, productive question.   :lol:

doug s.

Have you done any voltage tests to see if your voltage is fluctuating? Considering your situation, it might be worth looking into. Isolation transformers into balanced transformers wouldn't deal with a changing voltage but i would think it should help prevent "popping". :dunno: I look forward to hearing more thoughts on this. :o

Cheers,
Robin

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #87 on: 4 Jan 2009, 08:57 pm »
you turn off the fluorescent light ... you hear the "pop" thru the speakers.

Don't use florescence fixtures......duh:P :wink:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #88 on: 4 Jan 2009, 09:32 pm »
The thing is, engineering types and "scientific" research guys can be just as irrational although they look more rational doing it.    Case in point, Dunlavy spent a lot of time recreating square waves via complex 1st order crossovers.    All the current research tends to suggest he was wasting his time and your money doing so.   

It is interesting to read some history of science.   It is filled with brilliant people who had irrational beliefs.  The really brilliant guys also often had all kinds of hang-ups and where not the most level-headed people.    That isn't to cast stones at the scientific method, it tends to lead us in the right direction over time.   It does point out that individual people, no matter how brilliant, are a poor choice of beings to worship.

I think you understand that the issue is not about Dunlavy per se. Nor is it about scientists who hold weird views. It's about trying to understand what components really add value and those that dont. If people really believe that a new power cable makes a difference when the evidence shows it has no effect, then more fool them. But in the real world, making claims that cannot be substantiated is called false advertising. Perpetuating such claims in forums such as this further induces potential customers to waste their money.  I guess the fact that James Randi's $1million is still unclaimed by a cable company says it all...

Would you advocate that a wine company be prevented from advertising their product as "subjectively better than others" when that product doesn't pass a scientifically valid blind study proving it?   What people find as having value differs based upon their view of the world.   We all should have the right to pursue things we value based upon our own value system.   That is the basis of individual freedom and liberty.   When you insist that others hold your belief system, that is the root of tyranny.    And while most people don't think of science as religion, it has more to do with religion than is commonly thought.   It strongly affects how we view the world and our place in it.   It has permanently changed modern thinking in ways that is hard to appreciate unless you had lived before the Enlightenment. 

Most of the cable companies and tweakers I know fully believe in what they are doing.   It may not fit my view of what is important but I firmly support their freedom to build and sell products that are not based upon science.   I would support holding them to truth in advertising in terms of not outright telling bold face lies, (Cable  removes 99% of the distortion passing through it!) I do believe in giving them the same latitude we give companies in other industries that do the same type of "sales" pitch for their product.

In terms of you pursuing what you feel adds value and what things don't.   There isn't anyone stopping you from doing just that.   It is just that you nor anyone else should dictate how others balance that equation.   

For me, I use science and research to point me in the right direction when designing product.   At the end of the day though audio has an element of art involved in it.   Not just the music, but the tools we use to recreate it.   Room acoustics, speaker voicing, and system building all have artistic and subjective elements to them.   There are those who cling to the idea that it SHOULD be a purely objective task to design the playback equipment.    While I sympathize with that tendency, I don't support it.    I wouldn't want to live in a world where our entire lives are dictated by objective choices or pure reason.    I think most who advocate such a world, wouldn't like the results of it once they achieved it.   

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #89 on: 4 Jan 2009, 09:34 pm »
you turn off the fluorescent light ... you hear the "pop" thru the speakers.

Don't use florescence fixtures......duh:P :wink:
ya, this might help.  but, i do not think it would go over well, if i ripped out the fixture & replaced it in this rental unit.   :lol:  and, a coupla other non-fluorescent switches also do it - one vent fan in the bathroom, and a halogen lamp.  also, i have fluorescent bulbs in all my normal incandescent-type lamps; none of these make noise when being turned on/off...

robin, i have checked the line woltages, it's usually ~119.5-120v.  but, i don't check it a lot, so i dunno if it fluctuates much.  and, whether it does or not, i am not sure how this would affect noise w/other equipment turn-off...

doug s.

Occam

« Reply #90 on: 5 Jan 2009, 01:35 am »
Bob,

I read your Distortion Isolation in the Time Domain -
http://www.libinst.com/distortion_isolation_in_the_time.htm
Your Praxis suite appears to be a powerful tool. If you are offering me the extended free use of your software and an appropriate calibrated microphone, the answer is definitely yes! It would be interesting to compare a sweep response to a gated impulse response, specifically in a poweramp/speaker combo. I went to your website and listened to a variety of the diff files. Jolly fun. Who is that overprocessed guy singing with the nasal condition backed with the treacle infused violins? Yuck.

No it doesn't, not at all.  DiffMaker still uses actual human beings to listen to the result, in fact anyone who wants to listen (and has a computer with a soundcard) -- not just the person who runs the hardware part of the test or is there when the test is run.  But in this approach, the human listens only to what's different, and leaves out the parts of the signals that are the same.
If you are asserting that listening to a residual is equivalent to hearing the difference between 2 signals, I simply cannot agree. I've never seen a psychoacoustician make such an assertion, and would appreciate a link. Additionally, if I were to suggest that some residual was significant, Opaque or someone else, would justifiably comment that I'd not considered masking and all the research that has gone into lossy compression.
Indeed, listening to an ourput frequency sweep residual would be interesting. It would show magnitude, but not direction (a -6db residual would sound the same as a +6db residual). That is, unless YOU can hear absolute phase of a sine. :wink:

On the idea that if you can't hear the difference all by itself, how likely are you to hear it with the other stuff going on?
Dunno, Your point? I'm actually impressed that you've moved the discussion to Affirming the Consequent from the Argument from Ignorance. :thumb:

You assert the possibility of a finding, and assuming it to be true and assert a conclusion. So you tell us. Define your experiment with diffmaker, in detail, define the parameters, and let us know your findings.

We anxiously await your study. Will it be as definitive as your What Makes a Speaker Sound Good??
http://www.libinst.com/what_makes_a_speaker_sound_good.htm

Conclusions (or maybe "suggested explanations")

The most significant characteristic of the Monsoon driver identified in these tests is its relatively consistent frontside radiation pattern, due to the dipole design.  There is also possibly an improvement over some cone type drivers in low-level nonlinear intermodulation hash produced by the driver.  The sound of the distortion produced by the cone speaker definitely sounds (to me) more objectionable than does the Monsoon, but the effect seems to be more in the lower mid-frequencies (which are mostly lacking from the Monsoon).

Of course, another possibility is that maybe there are non-sound-related issues affecting the perceived quality of the speaker.  It is not impossible that the dipole shape and appearance of the Monsoon panel could affect my (and others') impression of the sound, a matter perhaps better approached through double-blind listening tests.

So we're back to blind testing?  :roll: I realize your title was a 'come on'  8), as you obviously had no intention of showing correlation let alone causality, but rather wanted to show the scope of Praxis' capabilities. Fair 'nuf. I've outlined my preferred approach in a prior post. Admittedly, its not double blind, but adequate for single blind and ABx. I think mine is a more valid approach. But please, I don't want to discourage you from pursuing your own agenda.

FWIW,
Paul

HumanMedia

« Reply #91 on: 5 Jan 2009, 02:21 am »
Listening to the Diffmaker output of a stereo signal Diffed with the same signal with slight reverb and echo would be barely perceivable noise, listening to the original stereo signals the difference is quite obvious.

No it doesn't, not at all.  DiffMaker still uses actual human beings to listen to the result, in fact anyone who wants to listen (and has a computer with a soundcard) -- not just the person who runs the hardware part of the test or is there when the test is run.  But in this approach, the human listens only to what's different, and leaves out the parts of the signals that are the same.  On the idea that if you can't hear the difference all by itself, how likely are you to hear it with the other stuff going on?

millionmonkeys

« Reply #92 on: 5 Jan 2009, 02:36 am »
Would you advocate that a wine company be prevented from advertising their product as "subjectively better than others" when that product doesn't pass a scientifically valid blind study proving it?

Wine and Audio do seem to share a lot in common. But your analogy is not really fair. A better analogy would be some wine expert comes up with a pill to add to the wine that impoves the wine. Makes it sing!  Makes the wine 'open up' and increase its musicality. Should these guys have to proved their pill works? Absolutely. Just as people who sell cables should have to do so.

When you insist that others hold your belief system, that is the root of tyranny.

That's exactly the point.  Calling cables a belief system is perhaps the best way to explain what people purport to hear because it doesnt appear at all evidence based.  I had foolishly thought there was some real reason to use these expensive cables but now I know that if only I believe...and pay...

I would support holding them to truth in advertising in terms of not outright telling bold face lies, (Cable  removes 99% of the distortion passing through it!) I do believe in giving them the same latitude we give companies in other industries that do the same type of "sales" pitch for their product.

By this logic cables will end up in the same quackery box as iridolody, naturopathy, vitamin supplements and the like, where their claims are not outright lies but are often meant to deceive.  A little less opinion and a few more facts surely cant hurt in this area, can it?

rydenfan

« Reply #93 on: 5 Jan 2009, 03:04 am »
millionmonkey, why have you joined Audio Circle? You dont really seem to enjoy audio in any way, and instead only post to discourage other's beliefs. This is generally a place for people who are truly passion about audio.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #94 on: 5 Jan 2009, 04:10 am »
Would you advocate that a wine company be prevented from advertising their product as "subjectively better than others" when that product doesn't pass a scientifically valid blind study proving it?

Wine and Audio do seem to share a lot in common. But your analogy is not really fair. A better analogy would be some wine expert comes up with a pill to add to the wine that impoves the wine. Makes it sing!  Makes the wine 'open up' and increase its musicality. Should these guys have to proved their pill works? Absolutely. Just as people who sell cables should have to do so.

We could split hairs on analogies but I think we both understand where the other is coming from.   I agree that most of what we see in audio has little to do with science.   My only argument is that why should be require that it to uphold that standard?   People read horoscopes, believe the things written in tabloids and chase after non-traditional medicine remedies all the time.   It infuriates me when people sometimes believe in these types of things but I'd rather have people believing in nonsense rather than dictating what they should believe in based upon my judgment of those things.   Really, if people want to believe in something that doesn't jive with science, that is their right.   It is also your right not to pour your hard earned money into things that have no science to back them.    I'm a proponent of telling people what the science says and letting them come to their own opinion from that point.

When you insist that others hold your belief system, that is the root of tyranny.

That's exactly the point.  Calling cables a belief system is perhaps the best way to explain what people purport to hear because it doesnt appear at all evidence based.  I had foolishly thought there was some real reason to use these expensive cables but now I know that if only I believe...and pay...

Cables are not a belief system but the reliance upon science to find truth is.   It is a system we use to find what is real.   Some place more trust in that method than others.    I think on average, in this age, people give the science a LOT of weight in coming to an opinion.    And yes... most cable theories thrown around by the world of audio have nothing to do with good science.     But people are free to use whatever method they choose to determine the validity of their value.   Most audiophiles tend to trust their own subjective experience.   Some of them know the flaws of that method in terms of science and some of them don't.    Some of them ignore good data and research that points to the folly of trusting their ears.    But you know what?   At the end of the day it is THEIR personal enjoyment of the hobby that is what they are pursuing.   If they want to pursue things that have nothing to do with science and believe in wacky things that really is their choice. 

I would support holding them to truth in advertising in terms of not outright telling bold face lies, (Cable  removes 99% of the distortion passing through it!) I do believe in giving them the same latitude we give companies in other industries that do the same type of "sales" pitch for their product.
By this logic cables will end up in the same quackery box as iridolody, naturopathy, vitamin supplements and the like, where their claims are not outright lies but are often meant to deceive.  A little less opinion and a few more facts surely cant hurt in this area, can it?

My inclination is to use science to advance the art of audio reproduction.   For the average guy, they are just pursuing a hobby.   For them it is about having a good time and playing with toys to achieve personal gratification.    That often takes on things that have nothing to do with science.    Personally, I'm not really threatened by that nor do I think that I should dictate how others pursue the hobby.    It is really their choice.   That includes some of the people that sell product.   After all, if they believe in it's value, who am I to prevent them from selling it to other people who see it's value also?    If I ran a supermarket, would I be morally required to remove all the tabloids, stop selling lottery tickets, and squelch the sales of organic supplements that have not passed FDA standards?    I don't think so.... I think really that is the choice of the individual.    I'd rather have a little snake oil sales than trespass upon personal liberty. 

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #95 on: 5 Jan 2009, 04:47 am »

We could split hairs on analogies but I think we both understand where the other is coming from.   I agree that most of what we see in audio has little to do with science.   My only argument is that why should be require that it to uphold that standard?   People read horoscopes, believe the things written in tabloids and chase after non-traditional medicine remedies all the time.   It infuriates me when people sometimes believe in these types of things but I'd rather have people believing in nonsense rather than dictating what they should believe in based upon my judgment of those things.   Really, if people want to believe in something that doesn't jive with science, that is their right.   It is also your right not to pour your hard earned money into things that have no science to back them.    I'm a proponent of telling people what the science says and letting them come to their own opinion from that point.

Cables are not a belief system but the reliance upon science to find truth is.   It is a system we use to find what is real.   Some place more trust in that method than others.    I think on average, in this age, people give the science a LOT of weight in coming to an opinion.    And yes... most cable theories thrown around by the world of audio have nothing to do with good science.     But people are free to use whatever method they choose to determine the validity of their value.   Most audiophiles tend to trust their own subjective experience.   Some of them know the flaws of that method in terms of science and some of them don't.    Some of them ignore good data and research that points to the folly of trusting their ears.    But you know what?   At the end of the day it is THEIR personal enjoyment of the hobby that is what they are pursuing.   If they want to pursue things that have nothing to do with science and believe in wacky things that really is their choice. 

My inclination is to use science to advance the art of audio reproduction.   For the average guy, they are just pursuing a hobby.   For them it is about having a good time and playing with toys to achieve personal gratification.    That often takes on things that have nothing to do with science.    Personally, I'm not really threatened by that nor do I think that I should dictate how others pursue the hobby.    It is really their choice.   That includes some of the people that sell product.   After all, if they believe in it's value, who am I to prevent them from selling it to other people who see it's value also?    If I ran a supermarket, would I be morally required to remove all the tabloids, stop selling lottery tickets, and squelch the sales of organic supplements that have not passed FDA standards?    I don't think so.... I think really that is the choice of the individual.    I'd rather have a little snake oil sales than trespass upon personal liberty. 

AFAIC Kevin, that's a much better outlook to take than the manufacturer who will purposely use both science and their own personal agenda to go around publicly trashing competing products, using slanderous hints & scientific innuendo  towards competing products and personalities for the sole purpose of "educating" the public and of course to sell their own product in the process. Your way of doing business holds a much higher standard and personal integrity for yourself than that of these other dirt throwing individuals. I also have much respect for a manufacturer who stands behind his beliefs and practices what he preaches that within his business but doesn't publicly uses his beliefs against other manufacturer's who has taken a different path. That might be hard to do when it comes to discussions about different philosophies on the forums but there is good form and bad form in everything that takes place on the intenet and those who go about intentionally throwing mud with alterior motives will be making as many enemies as they make friends within the internet world. No busnessman should want to intentionally make ememies through bad ethical behavior regardless of how bad business is or how driven they are to "educate the world".

And that's "my" truth. :)

Cheers,
Robin

bwaslo

• Liberty Instruments
« Reply #96 on: 5 Jan 2009, 05:00 am »
Bob,

"Bill", but close enough...

I read your Distortion Isolation in the Time Domain -
http://www.libinst.com/distortion_isolation_in_the_time.htm
Your Praxis suite appears to be a powerful tool. If you are offering me the extended free use of your software and an appropriate calibrated microphone, the answer is definitely yes!
Um, don't remember making that offer!
Who is that overprocessed guy singing with the nasal condition backed with the treacle infused violins? Yuck.
That would be Jacque Brel, rather famous Belgian cabaret singer from the '60s.  Definitely heavy on the dramatics, it seemed like a recording with a lot of sounds and volume changes.  Recorded with tube gear, gotta be good, right?

If you are asserting that listening to a residual is equivalent to hearing the difference between 2 signals, I simply cannot agree.
Nope, not asserting that. IThie idea is that it would be BETTER at letting a difference be heard if it exists. If there is no residual there couldn't have been a difference in the two recordings (A-B=0 means A=B).  Of course there is (almost) never "no" residual (noise and innacuracies being what they are in a real world), but the next reasonable (to me) assumption is that if you can't hear the residual (when the gain is at the same setting used to listen to the music), then it might as well be zero.  That might be disagreed with, but I'd have difficulty taking such a disagreement very seriously.
...if I were to suggest that some residual was significant, Opaque or someone else, would justifiably comment that I'd not considered masking and all the research that has gone into lossy compression.
Yup. It's mostly a one-way thing.  A found audible residual might be enough to matter or it might not be.  Finding no audible residual would be a case of not enough to matter, though.  Though finding a notable residual when there is no (so far) explainable way for one to be (such as when green-marking the edge of a CD, or cryo-cooling a cable) would be pretty good evidence that something is going on that could stand some research.  You can't do research with opinions, you need something more repeatable and demonstrable.
That is, unless YOU can hear absolute phase of a sine. :wink:
??huh?  I think I'm not following you.  Do you mean polarity?  Or alluding to the fact that phase distortion may not be audilble in all cases, and would leave one heck of a residual.  (Though neither would matter if no residual can be heard -- silence has neither polarity nor phase response).

Define your experiment with diffmaker, in detail, define the parameters, and let us know your findings.
?? Didn't you just go to the web page and read about the idea of a DiffMaker experiment?  (There's even more in the program's Help files, too, or If you're really interested, drop me an email and I can send you a print of the AES paper).  But note that I'm not presenting many 'findings' (other than the ones you've listened to), just offering the tool, and I gave no conclusions -- those are to be made by people listening to the files.  You don't want me telling you what you hear do you? :|

Mostly what I did is make the tool, for anyone who is honestly interested in and energetic enough to look into whether anything is actually going on with some of the new-age audio products going around.  It's ok not to, sure, but a lot of people spend a lot of time discussing the subject so it would seem like some might want to do more, no?  Probably more fun to do than reading another couple dozen pages of arguments about the effectiveness of cables, cryo-treatments and absorbers.
We anxiously await your study. Will it be as definitive as your What Makes a Speaker Sound Good??
http://www.libinst.com/what_makes_a_speaker_sound_good.htm

You sarcasm is rather weird, or I'm just too tired to get it.  If you want someone to give you neat tied-up answers with confident TRVTH, you can find lots of those in te ads in audio review magazines!   :D

So we're back to blind testing?  :roll: I realize your title was a 'come on'  8), as you obviously had no intention of showing correlation let alone causality, but rather wanted to show the scope of Praxis' capabilities.
[quote/]

{For some reason, I can't get the quoting stuff to work right from here on, sorry)
More casual than that, actually. I was just taken by the sound of the Monsoons, and took a stab at trying to find what it might be about them, and thought it was interesting enough to put the measurements on the web site. No hard conclusions, but hey, since when do you find such definite conclusions about what technical things are causing a listening preference?  Certainly not in these forums! 
(Yes, there were examples of how PRAXIS might be used to investigate a speaker, but if that's all it was about, would I be doing it with a speaker that had been a marketing failure?!?)

I've outlined my preferred approach in a prior post. Admittedly, its not double blind, but adequate for single blind and ABx. I think mine is a more valid approach.

I don't have any big problem with double or single blind or even ABx, except that actual conducting of those tests seems to be pretty damned rare.  They take a long time and a lot of cooperation to do, they're not much fun, so hardly anyone seems to have been actually involved in one, and then for the ones that are done, almost one accepts the results either way (for myriad reasons) unless the stated results agree with preconceived beliefs.  They haven't resolved the controversies in the past 30+ years, anyway.

Probably DiffMaker won't either, though. DiffMaker does have the advantage at least that everyone can still decide for himself about what he is hearing (and doesn't need to do a lot of work to at least hear someone else's recorded result) and  doesn't have to count so much on someone else's judgment.  IMHO, of course! 

Hey, I'm glad at least it's getting some attention.  Sure glad I didn't try to make it a commercial project, it's been hard to give away!

-not Bob

bwaslo

• Liberty Instruments
« Reply #97 on: 5 Jan 2009, 05:16 am »
millionmonkey, why have you joined Audio Circle? You dont really seem to enjoy audio in any way, and instead only post to discourage other's beliefs. This is generally a place for people who are truly passion about audio.

To defend millionmonkey a bit --

rydebfan, must we assume that honest skepticism isn't compatible with passion about audio?

I know that for me much of the current faith-based audio scene tends to ruin audio socializing at times -- I want to listen to what a set of speakers can do in someone else's system, but have to wait passively (to avoid argument) through philosophising  about jars of rocks or cryoed outlets.  We all have rights to our own perceptions and opinions and no one has a monopoly on audio passion because of buying into certain particular beliefs.

bwaslo

• Liberty Instruments
« Reply #98 on: 5 Jan 2009, 05:29 am »
Listening to the Diffmaker output of a stereo signal Diffed with the same signal with slight reverb and echo would be barely perceivable noise, listening to the original stereo signals the difference is quite obvious

HumanMedia,  I suggest you try just that.  I think you'd find that the output would be dramatically perceptable in what you propose.  To make a barely perceptible DiffMaker output requires an incredible degree of "sameness", echoes and reverb would play loud and clear.

As an example, there are 7 sets of near-identical DM files on my web site, each made from a choir singing a lullabye, one with a Sousa band playing in the background and one without.   You can download each set of two files and Diff them to clearly hear the marching band (to perceive that it's really there, and how much is there).  The trial is to see if you can HEAR which one in each set of files has it in there!  I think you'd be amazed.  Is a marching band more subtle than reverb and echoes?

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #99 on: 5 Jan 2009, 05:30 am »

To defend millionmonkey a bit --

rydebfan, must we assume that honest skepticism isn't compatible with passion about audio?

I know that for me much of the current faith-based audio scene tends to ruin audio socializing at times -- I want to listen to what a set of speakers can do in someone else's system, but have to wait passively (to avoid argument) through philosophising  about jars of rocks or cryoed outlets.  We all have rights to our own perceptions and opinions and no one has a monopoly on audio passion because of buying into certain particular beliefs.

Yep, I agree that one has a right to express their own opinion,,,, but if it becomes their sole purpose to being active on AudioCircle then I would propose they go out and get a life,,,, get laid maybe. AudioCircle shouldn't be negativity 100% of the time,,,, it's all about sharing experiences and ideas instead  tearing down ideas and other peoples experiences. No one should be coming to AudioCircle for the sole purpose of stirring things up, pushing buttons but as you say sharing their audio passion. :)

Cheers,
Robin

ps, as for myself, I'd get laid if I could aa