double post

cryoparts

Re: Logic of Power Cords and/or conditioners
« Reply #61 on: 3 Jan 2009, 05:01 am »
Yes, it is worthwhile, indeed.

Peace,

Lee

I've got a bizarre question for everyone:

Has anybody actually tried running more 'audiophile' power wire through their walls? (Maybe something like Ven Haus, so it's not to expensive.)

I feel like there could be a possibility for a huge difference here, but maybe I'm wrong.

-West

cryoparts

« Reply #62 on: 3 Jan 2009, 05:04 am »
Cardas has UL approved Romex.   I've never tried it but that is where I'd start if I where going to run something through my walls.    If you use something not UL approved your insurance company can give you the shaft even if the wire has nothing to do with your house burning to the ground. 

It's good stuff.  I don't know who sells it, but it is worth seeking out.

Peace,

Lee

funkmonkey

« Reply #63 on: 3 Jan 2009, 05:27 am »
This monkey can take a joke, also not one to argue against somebody else's beliefs  :wink:

But this comment make no sense what-so ever to me:

Please forgive me. I'm about to sin.

Tito's vodka is distilled six times! Try it. You'll like it!  :green:

WTF?  am I missing something here?

millionmonkeys

« Reply #64 on: 3 Jan 2009, 05:36 am »
Oh I can read ok, I just can't spell worth a $hit.   Guess you monkeys can't take a joke, huh.

Best joke I've heard is the guy who spent $7250 on cables. At that price I would definitely believe I heard a difference!

I just contacted James Randi and he still has the $1million on offer. I told him you were up for it! :rotflmao:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #65 on: 3 Jan 2009, 05:59 am »
Oh I can read ok, I just can't spell worth a $hit.   Guess you monkeys can't take a joke, huh.

Best joke I've heard is the guy who spent $7250 on cables. At that price I would definitely believe I heard a difference!

I just contacted James Randi and he still has the $1million on offer. I told him you were up for it! :rotflmao:

If that's the best joke you've ever heard you need to get out more. There's stuff out there a whole lot more ridiculous than that. Guess when you got the $$$$$ to burn, hearing a difference really isn't an issue. For the rest of us, hoping there's no improvements makes not having them that much more bearable. :duh:

Cheers,
Robin

CatchMeIfYouCan

« Reply #66 on: 3 Jan 2009, 06:59 am »
People who's got money are free to spend whichever way they want, don't be a sour-grape...

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #67 on: 3 Jan 2009, 07:04 am »
People who's got money are free to spend whichever way they want, don't be a sour-grape...

You misunderstood,,, no sourgrapes here,,, simply jeolous, that's all. With the money, there's nothing I wouldn't try cuz I love this hobby. :thumb:

Unfortuntely this hobby isn't cheap, you need to pay to play. I hope you better understand where  I'm coming from. :)

Cheers,
Robin

millionmonkeys

« Reply #68 on: 3 Jan 2009, 12:40 pm »
Unfortuntely this hobby isn't cheap, you need to pay to play.

But does it need to be as expenive as it is? And maybe, just maybe with some solid facts and a clear understanding of the science behind what we are buying, things might just be a little more affordable?

John Dunlavy says it best:

Having said all this, are there really any significant audible differences between most cables that can be consistently identified by experienced listeners? The answer is simple: very seldom! Those who claim otherwise do not fully grasp the power of the old Placebo-Effect - which is very alive and well among even the most well-intentioned listeners. The placebo-effect renders audible signatures easy to detect and describe - if the listener knows which cable is being heard. But, take away this knowledge during blind or double-blind listening comparisons and the differences either disappear completely or hover close to the level of random guessing. Speaking as a competent professional engineer, designer and manufacturer, nothing would please me and my company's staff more than being able to design a cable which consistently yielded a positive score during blind listening comparisons against other cables. But it only rarely happens - if we wish to be honest!

Oh yes, we have heard of golden-eared audiophiles who claim to be able to consistently identify huge, audible differences between cables. But when these experts have visited our facility and were put to the test under carefully-controlled conditions, they invariably failed to yield a score any better than chance. For example, when led to believe that three popular cables were being compared, varying in size from a high-quality 12 AWG ZIP-CORD to a high-tech looking cable with a diameter exceeding an inch, the largest and sexiest looking cable always scored best - even though the CABLES WERE NEVER CHANGED and they listened to the ZIP Cord the entire time.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #69 on: 3 Jan 2009, 01:39 pm »

Has anybody actually tried running more 'audiophile' power wire through their walls? (Maybe something like Ven Haus, so it's not to expensive.)

I feel like there could be a possibility for a huge difference here, but maybe I'm wrong.

-West

I have one 39 foot piece of cryo'd 10 gauge Romex in my wall for 3 dedicated outlets.  Then 3 Hubbel outlets cryo'd.  I find that Power Conditioners are very minor in their effect to my sound.  I'd rather find a device I can fit into my corwded panel before the Romex and leave it there.

opaqueice

« Reply #70 on: 3 Jan 2009, 03:03 pm »
Speaking of DBT, has anyone who repeatedly invokes that shibboleth actually participated in one? Do they actually know that a double blind the person doing the switching doesn't know which is which?

It's true that most informal blind tests done by audiophiles aren't true double bind - but the point of that is to be absolutely certain the tester can't influence the testee, and there are a lot of other ways to make sure of that.  For example there's a plugin for foobar2000 that will administer an ABXY test - and you can be pretty sure the computer isn't passing hints to the testee.  Or have the someone set up the test, disguise the gear with blankets or something, and then the testee could control the system with a remote with the setup guy out of the room.

Anyway I think a lot of people use "DBT" as longhand for "BT".

How the heck does someone do a dbt on powercords with matched levels and less than 5 seconds between switches? How do you disguise the cords?

5 seconds is going to be tough on one system....  but many people seem to think longer samples are better anyway.  Or you could have two identical systems with the two cords, and alternate with volume controls or something.

But maybe the best way to run this test is to use audiodiffmaker - you can  record the electrical output of the system with one cord, then with the other, and literally subtract them to find the differences.  If they're below the noise, well...

CatchMeIfYouCan

« Reply #71 on: 3 Jan 2009, 04:25 pm »
LOL!! Good.. if reading John Dunlavy (R.I.P) quotes would make you feel better for not spending money on cables - good for you!

The market is what it is, no one put a gun in your head to force you to pay that price. You can still enjoy music using a Bose Lifestyle 5 playback.

Audiophiles by definition are 'weird' people, call us whatever names you wish. I have 25 grands worth of cables sitting in my garage (not in use), I can tell the difference between them, that's all that is important to me.   

But does it need to be as expenive as it is? And maybe, just maybe with some solid facts and a clear understanding of the science behind what we are buying, things might just be a little more affordable?

Having said all this, are there really any significant audible differences between most cables that can be consistently identified by experienced listeners? The answer is simple: very seldom! Those who claim otherwise do not fully grasp the power of the old Placebo-Effect - which is very alive and well among even the most well-intentioned listeners. The placebo-effect renders audible signatures easy to detect and describe - if the listener knows which cable is being heard. But, take away this knowledge during blind or double-blind listening comparisons and the differences either disappear completely or hover close to the level of random guessing. Speaking as a competent professional engineer, designer and manufacturer, nothing would please me and my company's staff more than being able to design a cable which consistently yielded a positive score during blind listening comparisons against other cables. But it only rarely happens - if we wish to be honest!

Oh yes, we have heard of golden-eared audiophiles who claim to be able to consistently identify huge, audible differences between cables. But when these experts have visited our facility and were put to the test under carefully-controlled conditions, they invariably failed to yield a score any better than chance. For example, when led to believe that three popular cables were being compared, varying in size from a high-quality 12 AWG ZIP-CORD to a high-tech looking cable with a diameter exceeding an inch, the largest and sexiest looking cable always scored best - even though the CABLES WERE NEVER CHANGED and they listened to the ZIP Cord the entire time.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #72 on: 3 Jan 2009, 05:35 pm »
Well you have to complete the discussion.  Thus far the believers won't accept a double blind test or measurements. The fact that it's arguable a difference even exists makes it pretty hard to come to a conclusion in a discussion. And you are right it's amazing how much wire gets discussed especially when other parts of most people's system are surely wanting far more than a difference wire can make.

In my mind the answer is very simple for both sides, try it and make up your own mind. As with Kevin, if he tries something yet doesn't want to believe his ears, that's his choice that was make from his observations. Many others including myself would rather trust their ears and make wire, conditioner, component and tweak choices based on this. But the important thing here I feel is that you try things for yourself and come up to your own conclusions... especially after listening to everyone elses opinion. :lol: To me, that what the hobby is all about. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

I'm with you Robin for making choices for MY OWN system.   I use what I think works best for me.  

I'm much more hesitant to make recommendations for others on voodoo topics for other people.   In the context of my own system I feel perfectly comfortable trusting my ears.   In the context of giving other people advice on how components 'XYZ' will work in system 'ABC', I have a great deal of hesitancy to give absolute opinions.   Especially when there isn't any engineering or scientific basis for the opinion.       

Yes Kevin, I understand being in the audio business yourself you might be more reluctant making any statements that couldn't be factually proven out, there's credibility issues to be concerned about. Being a simple audionut with an opinion about everything, I'm not held by those standards nor am I held back intellectually by the need to prove everything I think I hear before I can state an opinion on what I think I'm hearing. I'm blessed with a simplicity in my life. aa

If only Paul were so lucky. :green:

Cheers,
Robin

Yes... I can feel for the cable companies.   They take all kinds of crap.   I sell a fair amount of Cardas, mainly the parts and connectors.   They are great people, build a great product and I DO use them in my system.    I recommend them frequently but I tend to give my standard disclaimers about cable.    Cardas has some pretty reasonably priced stuff as far as audio cables go and I've found a couple flavors that I like.   

This is a hobby, it is supposed to be fun.   If twiddling with your system using tweaks is fun, then you shouldn't let anybody deter you.   

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #73 on: 3 Jan 2009, 05:36 pm »
Yes, it is worthwhile, indeed.

Peace,

Lee

-West

I'll order some up.   Colleen told me about the product a year ago and I've never taken the time to check it out.   

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #74 on: 3 Jan 2009, 05:44 pm »

The thing is, engineering types and "scientific" research guys can be just as irrational although they look more rational doing it.    Case in point, Dunlavy spent a lot of time recreating square waves via complex 1st order crossovers.    All the current research tends to suggest he was wasting his time and your money doing so.    :wink:

It is interesting to read some history of science.   It is filled with brilliant people who had irrational beliefs.  The really brilliant guys also often had all kinds of hang-ups and where not the most level-headed people.    That isn't to cast stones at the scientific method, it tends to lead us in the right direction over time.   It does point out that individual people, no matter how brilliant, are a poor choice of beings to worship.

Occam

« Reply #75 on: 3 Jan 2009, 08:08 pm »
Anyway I think a lot of people use "DBT" as longhand for "BT".

How the heck does someone do a dbt on powercords with matched levels and less than 5 seconds between switches? How do you disguise the cords?

5 seconds is going to be tough on one system....  but many people seem to think longer samples are better anyway.  Or you could have two identical systems with the two cords, and alternate with volume controls or something.

Apologies for my lack of clarity. The 5 seconds I was referring to is the maximum amount of time allowable between level matched comparisons for that comparison to have validity with respect to the persistence of aural memory. Instantly, under the control/command of the listener would be better. In my prior post I simply outlined the approach I am currently taking. Ideally, I'll be able to switch between line1 and line2 on my CAT preamp and be able to compare the sound of 2 exactly the same DACs save for any difference in powercords/interconnects/digital cable. This will hopefully work better than my prior approach, the old rotating hearth/audio system -

But instead of my friend Jim standing by the speaker, Abbot and/or Costello would run in, inadvertently pull on a conveniently located wall sconce, the room would go pitch black, the turntable would, or would not rotate 180 degrees, Abbot and/or Costello, would or would not reappear in this tableau, and the stereo system would resume playing (level matched) and all within the requisite 5 seconds. This approach, although initially promising has been, for unknown reasons, far more difficult to implement than initially thought.  :wink:

But maybe the best way to run this test is to use audiodiffmaker - you can  record the electrical output of the system with one cord, then with the other, and literally subtract them to find the differences.  If they're below the noise, well...
If they're below the noise, well.... well what????
But indeed, your approach does take the use of actual human beings out of the determination as to whether human beings can actually perceive differences.

FWIW,
Paul

BobM

« Reply #76 on: 3 Jan 2009, 09:33 pm »
I don't know for sure Jim, but I think he just called you either Abbot or Costello. Actually I didn't know you could move that fast AND spin a turntable at the same time.

On a moreserious note, Yes it is difficult to judge the effect of a change if you're the one up and moving and if it takes a substantial amount of time to make the swap , sit back down and give it a listen. Especiallly if it's a power amp or preamp that has to be turned off and started up again. The new cable doesn't get a chance to settle in and the equipment doesn't warm up enough to give you an optimal impression. That's why all the audio rage talk about extended listening impressions and refer to their notes during the sessions. A-B'ing things is just not possible or fun for anyone over any period of time, let alone doing it professionally. Personally I like to enjoy my music and I listen very differently when relaxed rather than in hyper comparison mode.

I agree that your double DAC setup is going to solve some of these issues Paul, especially if you have a remote that lets you switch sources from the listening chair. It takes quite a bit of uncertainty out of the equation.

Enjoy,
Bob

millionmonkeys

« Reply #77 on: 4 Jan 2009, 02:23 am »
The thing is, engineering types and "scientific" research guys can be just as irrational although they look more rational doing it.    Case in point, Dunlavy spent a lot of time recreating square waves via complex 1st order crossovers.    All the current research tends to suggest he was wasting his time and your money doing so.   

It is interesting to read some history of science.   It is filled with brilliant people who had irrational beliefs.  The really brilliant guys also often had all kinds of hang-ups and where not the most level-headed people.    That isn't to cast stones at the scientific method, it tends to lead us in the right direction over time.   It does point out that individual people, no matter how brilliant, are a poor choice of beings to worship.

I think you understand that the issue is not about Dunlavy per se. Nor is it about scientists who hold weird views. It's about trying to understand what components really add value and those that dont. If people really believe that a new power cable makes a difference when the evidence shows it has no effect, then more fool them. But in the real world, making claims that cannot be substantiated is called false advertising. Perpetuating such claims in forums such as this further induces potential customers to waste their money.  I guess the fact that James Randi's $1million is still unclaimed by a cable company says it all...

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #78 on: 4 Jan 2009, 02:51 am »

If they're below the noise, well.... well what????
But indeed, your approach does take the use of actual human beings out of the determination as to whether human beings can actually perceive differences.

FWIW,
Paul

Now that's funny, thanks Paul.  :lol:

Lin :)

bwaslo

• Liberty Instruments
« Reply #79 on: 4 Jan 2009, 04:57 am »

No it doesn't, not at all.  DiffMaker still uses actual human beings to listen to the result, in fact anyone who wants to listen (and has a computer with a soundcard) -- not just the person who runs the hardware part of the test or is there when the test is run.  But in this approach, the human listens only to what's different, and leaves out the parts of the signals that are the same.  On the idea that if you can't hear the difference all by itself, how likely are you to hear it with the other stuff going on?

There's a description on the website and you can listen to some result recordings yourself from there -- the program is a fast download and install, the recordings are a bit slower to download, but not much.  Sometimes there's something left behind, sometimes just some noise and a weak signal you can't likely hear without turning it way up, sometimes it's a judgment call whether the difference is significant, and sometimes a decent test can't be configured if anything in the setup isn't repeatable enough.   But its flat out untrue that humans are left out with DiffMaker, they are still major players, but with greatly enhanced discrimination. Try it before poo-pooing it (just like everyone says about listening to cables!).