Logic of Power Cords and/or conditioners

Occam

Re: Logic of Power Cords and/or conditioners
« Reply #100 on: 5 Jan 2009, 05:49 am »
Bill,

Who is that overprocessed guy singing with the nasal condition backed with the treacle infused violins? Yuck.
That would be Jacque Brel, rather famous Belgian cabaret singer from the '60s.  Definitely heavy on the dramatics, it seemed like a recording with a lot of sounds and volume changes.  Recorded with tube gear, gotta be good, right?
This -
http://www.libinst.com/monsoon%20DI%20of%20JMR.wav
is Jaques Brel? Are you putting me on? I'm somewhat familiar with Brel, but more indirectly via the performaces of Charles Asnavour. With tubes no less. It still sounds like crap to me. Live and learn.

Regards,
Paul

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #101 on: 5 Jan 2009, 05:53 am »
Bill,

Who is that overprocessed guy singing with the nasal condition backed with the treacle infused violins? Yuck.
That would be Jacque Brel, rather famous Belgian cabaret singer from the '60s.  Definitely heavy on the dramatics, it seemed like a recording with a lot of sounds and volume changes.  Recorded with tube gear, gotta be good, right?
This -
is Jaques Brel? Are you putting me on? I'm somewhat familiar with Brel, but more indirectly via the performaces of Charles Asnavour. With tubes no less. It still sounds like crap to me. Live and learn.

Regards,
Paul

That wav file is Elvis Costello.... :wink:

Occam

« Reply #102 on: 5 Jan 2009, 06:01 am »
Chris,

Thank you very much for your reply! Your answer was most reassuring. The clip simply didn't sound very Brel to me. I normally like Elvis Costello, but I gotta say, that tune, and its production values isn't one of his best.....

Regards,
Paul

boead

« Reply #103 on: 5 Jan 2009, 06:08 am »
This is exactly what I mean. More of the same old crap with a generous amount of mudslinging.

Kevin at Exodus is a gracious man, thanks.

SET Man

« Reply #104 on: 5 Jan 2009, 06:32 am »
..., the old rotating hearth/audio system -

Paul

Hey!

I didn't know that you have a secret rotating fireplace. :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

markC

« Reply #105 on: 5 Jan 2009, 07:10 am »
Is that Lonewolf's Dad?  :lol:

opaqueice

« Reply #106 on: 5 Jan 2009, 07:24 am »
If you are asserting that listening to a residual is equivalent to hearing the difference between 2 signals, I simply cannot agree.

You're right - it's not equivalent.  It's much easier.  Why don't you try it and see for yourself?

Quote from: HumanMedia
Listening to the Diffmaker output of a stereo signal Diffed with the same signal with slight reverb and echo would be barely perceivable noise, listening to the original stereo signals the difference is quite obvious.

Have you tried that?  I haven't - but based on my experience with diffmaker you're wrong (and not by just a little).

Quote from: rydenfan
millionmonkey, why have you joined Audio Circle? You dont really seem to enjoy audio in any way, and instead only post to discourage other's beliefs. This is generally a place for people who are truly passion about audio.

I love it when someone decides they know what "true passion" for something is.  Odd that it always seems to coincide with their own...  It may be news to you, but a heck of a lot of people out there care about music and audio but don't share your opinions about which aspects of it matter. 

Just as an example, I think speaker placement and room treatments are about a thousand times more important than wires or power conditioners.  Does that mean I don't have a "true passion" for audio? 

Last time I checked it just meant I don't have a passion for wires or power conditioners.

millionmonkeys

« Reply #107 on: 5 Jan 2009, 10:40 am »
but if it becomes their sole purpose to being active on AudioCircle then I would propose they go out and get a life,,,, get laid maybe.

I was speaking to somebody the other day about this topic and they warned me that if I decided to ask for evidence about cables, etc that it would get very personal very quickly. How true. It's like telling a Scientologist that his emeter is BS. When I started asking these questions, I thought (foolishly) that there must be some facts backing the hype. But as I looked into it further, it has become more and more obvious that psychological rather than physical properties define how good a cable sounds.

And yes people are free to delude themselves to their hearts content and say they hear things that are almost magical. But the problem come about when an average consumer (like me) tries to make a rational buying decision. Then you find out the Emperor has no clothes.

And satfrat, while you seem to think you own Audiocircle, I dont think you do. Why I am here is none of your goddam business. You are not compelled to correspond with me. In fact, I'd prefer you didnt...

millionmonkeys

« Reply #108 on: 5 Jan 2009, 11:01 am »
millionmonkey, why have you joined Audio Circle? You dont really seem to enjoy audio in any way, and instead only post to discourage other's beliefs. This is generally a place for people who are truly passion about audio.

For what it's worth I've been registered on Audiocircle longer than you old son.  You know what I really enjoy? Reading what experts have to say and very occassionally posting.  Maybe you can just not read my posts if they offend your beliefs or passion? Or is there a process for excommunication on Audiocircle that you can invoke?

bwaslo

• Liberty Instruments
« Reply #109 on: 5 Jan 2009, 12:10 pm »
This -
is Jaques Brel? Are you putting me on? I'm somewhat familiar with Brel, but more indirectly via the performaces of Charles Asnavour. With tubes no less. It still sounds like crap to me. Live and learn

Oh, THAT guy... that, believe it or not, is Elvis Costello, with the Brodsky Quartet, from the Juliet letters. 

The sound is (1) a recording of speaker output (so you're hearing it through 2 sequential speakers) and (2) a speaker playing only above 250Hz (without the Monsoon sub) and (3) in that case, after the distortion isolation, so yeah, you're hearing only the distortion.  You expect that to sound good?

I thought you meant the guy singing on the Green Pen Marker tweak diff test.

BTW, the link you gave isn't in the DiffMaker stuff.  The DM stuff is at http://libinst.com/Audio%20DiffMaker.htm
and the audio example files for DM are at http://libinst.com/diffmaker_example_files.htm

Philistine

« Reply #110 on: 5 Jan 2009, 02:48 pm »
Greg, you've put together a very good system - you, Rydenfan and I share the same source (Modwright Transporter) and have discussed tube rolling as a way to 'fine tune' the sonics of your system on other circles.  Both Rydenfan and I find power treatment (conditioners and power cords) can also have an impact on sonics, possibly to a lesser extent than tube rolling?  Up until about 5 years ago I was agnostic on this topic until my local dealer loaned me a Shunyata power cord and I became a cautionary believer.  I could care less about the science or the psychology but do want to spend my money wisely and have my own internal limit on what I'm prepared to spend in this area.  I subscribe to the view that when I change something I can be predisposed to hear a difference that is positive - in order to protect myself from me I live with the component change for a few days/weeks and then take it away.  So this has become the audition by subtraction approach and I find it works better for me, I now try and reinforce this by having a family member try and perform a blind A/B to support what I think I hear - if I get the change right consistently, and I like it, I'll consider buying the component.  This is my personal approach and it works for me, its stopped me deluding myself and wasting money that is now put towards equipment upgrades and not expensive tweaks.

This topic always result in polarized opinions with the same old arguments, one of the constants is that those that don't believe it have never tried it and those that believe in it too strongly can loose sight of the value/performance benefit (not suggesting we have those on this thread). 

If you want to try a few power cords and make your own decision then drop me a pm and I can help you out.

Phil     

Brown

« Reply #111 on: 5 Jan 2009, 03:42 pm »
but if it becomes their sole purpose to being active on AudioCircle then I would propose they go out and get a life,,,, get laid maybe.

I was speaking to somebody the other day about this topic and they warned me that if I decided to ask for evidence about cables, etc that it would get very personal very quickly. How true. It's like telling a Scientologist that his emeter is BS. When I started asking these questions, I thought (foolishly) that there must be some facts backing the hype. But as I looked into it further, it has become more and more obvious that psychological rather than physical properties define how good a cable sounds.

And yes people are free to delude themselves to their hearts content and say they hear things that are almost magical. But the problem come about when an average consumer (like me) tries to make a rational buying decision. Then you find out the Emperor has no clothes.

And satfrat, while you seem to think you own Audiocircle, I dont think you do. Why I am here is none of your goddam business. You are not compelled to correspond with me. In fact, I'd prefer you didnt...

It isn't your opinion that is the problem its how you present it. This subject is NOT a religion nor magic or delusion. We are "normal" people thank you and average consumers as well. We are capable of a " rational" purchase .
   Now you may say Tamata we say tomato, lets call the whole thing off. This is silly so lets call the calling off, off ! We should ALL be strong enough to have our opinions but tolerant enough to listen to others. PEACE.

rydenfan

« Reply #112 on: 5 Jan 2009, 03:43 pm »

I dont take it personally at all. All I care about it what I hear in my system, I could not care less what you type on a computer screen. If you look at your comments to Satfrat, it would seem as if you are the one taking thinkgs personally. As well as trying to attack the amount of time I had been a member here? I was not aware that longevity on a forum had any correlation to the amount of passion I have for this hobby. If you do indeed wish to make a "rational" buying decision then work with a good dealer who will lend you various cords to experiment with in your own system. That is all that matters. I agree that one has a right to express their own opinion, but to me you dont seem like someone who cares for people to enjoy their system. You seem only interested to make attempts to trash other people's ideas and experiences. IMO, that is not very a "rational" resaon to be a member of an audio community.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #113 on: 5 Jan 2009, 04:01 pm »
I too, like Phil and Rydenfan, find that tube rolling and power cord selection have tremendous sonic consequences when married to sources like our Modwright Transporters.  It can be frustrating to find additional variables in the quest for synergy and good, musical signal paths, but the variables are real..at least to this listener.  Have fun, that's the end goal.

mfsoa

« Reply #114 on: 5 Jan 2009, 04:29 pm »
10e6Monkey,
Do you live near NJ? If you want, I'll borrow the DAC Cherry amp again and we can listen to powercord swaps in which the difference has been easily heard by all 3 ((me, audiophile)(my wife, music lover non-audiophile)(Tommy, the designer of the amp who certainly DID NOT want to hear a difference)) who have had the chance to listen.

I'd be glad to share this experience with you, as would many here. Don't know what else to say other than come and listen!

-Mike

Marbles

« Reply #115 on: 5 Jan 2009, 04:38 pm »
Unless I'm mistaken, millionmonkey didn't say you, he or anyone else couldn't hear a difference, what he said was that any perceived difference was psychological.  Therefore, even if he heard a difference, he would believe that it was all some way in his head.  So what difference would it make to demonstrate differences in PC's to him?

millionmonkeys

« Reply #116 on: 5 Jan 2009, 10:57 pm »
10e6Monkey,
Do you live near NJ? If you want, I'll borrow the DAC Cherry amp again and we can listen to powercord swaps in which the difference has been easily heard by all 3 ((me, audiophile)(my wife, music lover non-audiophile)(Tommy, the designer of the amp who certainly DID NOT want to hear a difference)) who have had the chance to listen.

I'd be glad to share this experience with you, as would many here. Don't know what else to say other than come and listen!

-Mike

Thanks for the offer. I get to the US occassionally on business but usually only west coast. Casual trips to NJ from Australia arent really an option!

mfsoa

« Reply #117 on: 5 Jan 2009, 11:17 pm »
Well then, you'll just have to ship myself, wife, son and system to Australia. I figure we'll need at least a year to sort out this whole cord thing.  :lol:

-Mike

millionmonkeys

« Reply #118 on: 6 Jan 2009, 11:19 am »
Well then, you'll just have to ship myself, wife, son and system to Australia. I figure we'll need at least a year to sort out this whole cord thing. 

-Mike

Sounds like a plan :wink:

funkmonkey

« Reply #119 on: 6 Jan 2009, 09:02 pm »
Phil, thanks for the offer (I may take you up on that  in the upcoming months) and your perspective.  Seems to mirror my own view, or philosophy on the matter  :wink: 
Ted and David thanks for joining the fray.  I value your opinions highly.

I really don't understand why this topic always gets heated.  Relax, we all have our own opinions and we have no right to force those opinions on anybody else.  I, for one, like to hear varied opinions as I educate myself and begin to form my own opinion.  As of now, I have no opinion, because I have no experience with power cords and conditioners.  You don't know until you try it, right.  That is why I started this thread, specifically in hopes that we could share constructive logical arguments from all sides.  Most of you guys have been great, and I thank you for your input.

Cheers,
Funk