Clean A/C vs. SLA Battery Power...my meandering thoughts

TheChairGuy

« Reply #60 on: 9 Apr 2005, 04:31 pm »
She's not my cup o' tea, either....but the CD is one of those I use to assess things because it bugs me so much.  I think it mostly in the production/mastering, but it could be the performance and voice - fer sher'.

You gotta' say tho that the skinny chick does belt out a tune far beyond what her 97 lb frame would suggest.

Dmason

« Reply #61 on: 9 Apr 2005, 04:54 pm »
I appreciated her more when she was considered, "Quebec's own."

I could understand using those discs as a torture test, whose passing grade might mean really good stuff excels itself. Like Beethoven's 3rd through DarkStars with more attention paid to appropriate cerebral conditioning.

Yes, she has a serious set of pipes. Too bad she's a victim of the recording industry and LA based marketing/packaging/bullshit.

I'll consider Celine Dion music in lieu of pink noise and frequency sweeps this coming week when it Gets Serious in the land of product development.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #62 on: 11 Apr 2005, 04:08 pm »
Well, over the weekend I had additional opportunity to listen to the Coby and I still feel that this is a heckuva' budget deal.

Yesterday (Sunday) I chopped off the cigarette lighter plug to use it on the 7 aH SLA.  Incidentally, on mine at least, the wire lead WITH the writing on it is the negative lead, not positive.  I always thought they assembled these things so that the lead with writing is the positive one...not always, apparently   :wink:

No matter, plugging the wrong lead into the unit does not fry it...as many found with the Tripath amp boards.  Just reverse it if it doesn't power up (unless you have a voltage meter handy - I don't).

Anyhow, the SLA boosted this guy yet another half-notch to very respectable. It got a lot quieter - not eerily so - but quieter and more enjoyable.  It's starting to sound intimate...something I never would have expected for $76 delivered

To use as dedicated transport, you need to do an on-screen/TV set-up to enable the optical or coax outputs...something I'll do shortly and see how it fares.

For many, however, in the budget camp...you may find the Coby DVD-707 to be all you are wishing for without paying a whole lot more for a little bit more performance.

Perhaps not all switching powers supplies are created equally?

It tracks beautifully - no hiccups on any Red Book.  I have found top loaders to be superior to front loaders...they just sound more stable to my ears.   The manual is thin on much info, but it states that it has a 'unique laser-head over-current protection system...ensuring a constant laser current'.  Perhaps, this is yet another cheap advance eliminating one more source of digititis...because this unit suffers little of it for the price.

I say a 'little' only because more resolving systems, or ears, might hear some...but none of the hairs on my neck are in a nasty lather while listening to it - as they are on some CD playback systems.
 :)