What to do: isolate or regenerate

doctorcilantro

Re: What to do: isolate or regenerate
« Reply #60 on: 6 Jan 2014, 10:32 am »
If you touch two components and the buzz changes, the equipment is being used as an earth return which is not right.

The photo of the receptacle with the wire nut on the earth line, looks too small to me, should at least be the same as the other conductors. I would go through every receptacle and check the connections, especially the earth wires.

I am not observing any changes on noise floor or buzz/hum levels when touching DAC and amp.

The Decware amp is using signal ground. Maybe I did not post a pic yet.

Anyway, do you mean the earth wire is too small?

This amp is really quiet, the hum is quite low-level, but again the circuit is shit if the buzz is getting through 2 DC blockers one of which is a P3.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #61 on: 6 Jan 2014, 02:12 pm »
While it's always hard for me to decode photos of circuits, but that amp looks suspect.

Just where is the audio common (I hate using the word ground) connected to the chassis.

jea48

« Reply #62 on: 6 Jan 2014, 04:27 pm »
I think even though it is a USA model, that they might have used European color coding which is different. IIRC, the wiring made sense. I also checked the chassis with a multimeter and it seemed ok. I will double check. Thanks for your indepth post.

Furthermore, I'm 99% convinced it is the Audio circuit after last night with nothing connected and the P3 buzzing away, but when swapped to the Office circuit...nothing. Would you agree this seems to point to the Audio circuit?
doctorcilantro,

You missed the main point of my previous post.

These are wired: black/brown (HOT)   .. OK.

white/blue  | yellow/chassis   .. Not OK.

The white/blue  | yellow/  wires should not be bonded, connected, to the chassis of the appliance. In the USA that is a NEC code violation.  The Neutral and equipment grounding conductor shall  be connected together at the main service equipment and at NO point thereafter.

There is also an internal green ground wire coming down out of dishwasher harness that goes to chassis.
That is where the green color wire, (the equipment grounding conductor), of the branch circuit feed should be connected to.
[/i]

The white/blue lead wire of the dishwasher should only be connected to the yellow wire that is the neutral feed from the electrical panel. The two jointed together wires should not be connected to the chassis of the dishwasher.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I Still would like to see a picture of the top portion of the electrical panel. Where the big wires that enter the bottom left side of the panel go to at the top of the electrical busing that holds all the branch circuit breakers.

As I said in an earlier post, looking at your pictures showing the bottom of the panel is a conduit entry on the bottom left side with 4 wires.
*  One insulated taped white neutral feed conductor.  (Notice the tape color white and not yellow).
*  Three other insulated black conductors. One with no color tape, just left black. One appears to have red color tape. Last wire is marked with making tape but I cannot make out the color. Just guessing it is blue.

What that means there are 3 hot phases.
Black wire with no marking tape, phase  ( A ).
Black wire with red marking tape, phase ( B ).
Black wire with Blue marking tape, phase ( C ).

Branch circuit breaker connection to bus down each side of the panel.

1) A ........... 2) A
3) B ............4) B
5) C ........... 6) C
7) A ........... 8 ) A
9) B .......... 10) B
11) C ........ 12) C
And so on.

A picture of where the 3 Hot wires go to on the top part of the electrical bus of the panel will verify if the panel is indeed 3 phase 4 wire. Also do the 3 wires connect to a main  3 pole breaker or do they terminate in lugs that are bolted to 3 copper bus. (Main Lug Only)

I see the panel is a 42 circuit. Just guessing by the pictures you supplied it looks like a Westinghouse panelboard.
On the dead front cover, ( steel cover that covers the breakers), there should be a data plate giving the manufacture name, voltage, phasing, and amperage rating.

From the pictures you have shown, the panel, the receptacle pulled from the wall electrical box, the black and white insulated #12 TW wires and the bare #12 equipment grounding wire I would say the original installation was done by US electricians or possibly by Canadian electricians. Time frame? Best guess, roughly 1950s, 1960s.

Sure would like to see more pictures of the electrical panel. And maybe the electrical service entrance on the outside of the building.
Jim

One and a half

« Reply #63 on: 6 Jan 2014, 08:22 pm »
Maybe I read the touching the devices on another thread...? sorry.

The brown wires at the receptacle, small ones. They appear to end up at the main breaker panel connected to the neutral, or what appears to be a large conductor. Earth wires are tied to what looks like a common earth strip both sides of the switchboard.
These brown wires also bond the metal conduits. Why are the brown wires tied to the neutral....this will cause a lot of pain.

jea48

« Reply #64 on: 6 Jan 2014, 09:59 pm »
Maybe I read the touching the devices on another thread...? sorry.

The brown wires at the receptacle, small ones. They appear to end up at the main breaker panel connected to the neutral, or what appears to be a large conductor. Earth wires are tied to what looks like a common earth strip both sides of the switchboard.
These brown wires also bond the metal conduits. Why are the brown wires tied to the neutral....this will cause a lot of pain.

One of the reasons I asked to see pictures of the top half of the electrical panel. I want to see how it is fed. Main breaker or MLO.

As for the brown wires you mention, they are bare copper wires.

The larger bare copper wire you see under the same mechanical lug as the main neutral conductor feeding the panel appears to be the grounding electrode conductor that connects the main neutral conductor to mother earth. (Making the neutral, "The Grounded Conductor"). It appears the grounding electrode conductor travels through a mechanical lug, unbroken, and is bonded, connected, to the panel enclosure which bonds the enclosure also to the now grounded neutral conductor.

The small brown wires as you called them, are bare #12, ( looks to be),  copper equipment grounding conductors that are terminated on equipment ground bars located on each side of the panelboard. The equipment ground bars are bonded, connected, directly to the panel enclosure.

The purpose of the equipment grounding conductor is to provide a low impedance, resistive, path to carry any ground fault current back to the main neutral conductor of the source. In this case the electrical panel. The ground fault current flowing in the equipment grounding conductor becomes part of the load of the branch circuit. If the ground fault current is high enough it will cause the current to exceed the branch circuit breaker handle rating of the breaker to hopefully trip it open.  Mother earth has nothing to do with the process.
Jim

http://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/pnwrecaps/2005/whitlock/whitlock_pnw05.pdf

http://www.hottconsultants.com/pdf_files/ground.pdf

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #65 on: 7 Jan 2014, 12:13 am »
A newer (Sept 2012) and larger Bill Whitlock paper:

An Overview of Audio System Grounding and Interfacing
by
Bill Whitlock, President
Jensen Transformers, Inc.
Life Fellow, Audio Engineering Society
Life Senior Member, Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers

http://centralindianaaes.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/indy-aes-2012-seminar-w-notes-v1-0.pdf

One and a half

« Reply #66 on: 7 Jan 2014, 12:33 am »
One of the reasons I asked to see pictures of the top half of the electrical panel. I want to see how it is fed. Main breaker or MLO.

As for the brown wires you mention, they are bare copper wires.

The larger bare copper wire you see under the same mechanical lug as the main neutral conductor feeding the panel appears to be the grounding electrode conductor that connects the main neutral conductor to mother earth. (Making the neutral, "The Grounded Conductor"). It appears the grounding electrode conductor travels through a mechanical lug, unbroken, and is bonded, connected, to the panel enclosure which bonds the enclosure also to the now grounded neutral conductor.

The small brown wires as you called them, are bare #12, ( looks to be),  copper equipment grounding conductors that are terminated on equipment ground bars located on each side of the panelboard. The equipment ground bars are bonded, connected, directly to the panel enclosure.

Jim

This leads to all sorts of questions. The straight bare copper wires that run horizontally parallel quite neatly are earth wires, one of them bottom RH corner is a green, assume the rest are earth wires. They terminate on corroded screw terminals directly on the chassis. The brown wires are they bare cables then, yes, earth wires. Whether they bond pipes or are in themselves earthing conductors, should nowhere be connected to the neutral.

The OP stated he's in the Middle East, they follow Euro or GB wiring rules (hopefully anyway) 400/415V Star (Wye) 230V to Neutral. His complex at camp runs from a 110V system, so there's a transformer upstream from the distribution board. The neutral should be bonded to the earth at the transformer side, not here at the Dist board. I see this as a lot of earths being bonded to the neutral where they shouldn't be.

jea48

« Reply #67 on: 7 Jan 2014, 01:07 am »
A newer (Sept 2012) and larger Bill Whitlock paper:

An Overview of Audio System Grounding and Interfacing
by
Bill Whitlock, President
Jensen Transformers, Inc.
Life Fellow, Audio Engineering Society
Life Senior Member, Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers

http://centralindianaaes.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/indy-aes-2012-seminar-w-notes-v1-0.pdf

Speedskater,

Thank you for sharing the Link.

Jim

doctorcilantro

« Reply #68 on: 7 Jan 2014, 06:44 am »
I was checking out the panel last night, but did not pull it off as it is huge and I need help with it.

I do remember seeing a USB-made metal stamp on top that might have read Western Electric, but more likely Westinghouse.

Not sure on age of house and wiring but very well could be 60s and US contractors since they were here digging up oil in a joint venture then.

I'll ask some engineers for details and get the pics soon.

doctorcilantro,

You missed the main point of my previous post.

These are wired: black/brown (HOT)   .. OK.

white/blue  | yellow/chassis   .. Not OK.

The white/blue  | yellow/  wires should not be bonded, connected, to the chassis of the appliance. In the USA that is a NEC code violation.  The Neutral and equipment grounding conductor shall  be connected together at the main service equipment and at NO point thereafter.

There is also an internal green ground wire coming down out of dishwasher harness that goes to chassis.
That is where the green color wire, (the equipment grounding conductor), of the branch circuit feed should be connected to.
[/i]

The white/blue lead wire of the dishwasher should only be connected to the yellow wire that is the neutral feed from the electrical panel. The two jointed together wires should not be connected to the chassis of the dishwasher.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I Still would like to see a picture of the top portion of the electrical panel. Where the big wires that enter the bottom left side of the panel go to at the top of the electrical busing that holds all the branch circuit breakers.

As I said in an earlier post, looking at your pictures showing the bottom of the panel is a conduit entry on the bottom left side with 4 wires.
*  One insulated taped white neutral feed conductor.  (Notice the tape color white and not yellow).
*  Three other insulated black conductors. One with no color tape, just left black. One appears to have red color tape. Last wire is marked with making tape but I cannot make out the color. Just guessing it is blue.

What that means there are 3 hot phases.
Black wire with no marking tape, phase  ( A ).
Black wire with red marking tape, phase ( B ).
Black wire with Blue marking tape, phase ( C ).

Branch circuit breaker connection to bus down each side of the panel.

1) A ........... 2) A
3) B ............4) B
5) C ........... 6) C
7) A ........... 8 ) A
9) B .......... 10) B
11) C ........ 12) C
And so on.

A picture of where the 3 Hot wires go to on the top part of the electrical bus of the panel will verify if the panel is indeed 3 phase 4 wire. Also do the 3 wires connect to a main  3 pole breaker or do they terminate in lugs that are bolted to 3 copper bus. (Main Lug Only)

I see the panel is a 42 circuit. Just guessing by the pictures you supplied it looks like a Westinghouse panelboard.
On the dead front cover, ( steel cover that covers the breakers), there should be a data plate giving the manufacture name, voltage, phasing, and amperage rating.

From the pictures you have shown, the panel, the receptacle pulled from the wall electrical box, the black and white insulated #12 TW wires and the bare #12 equipment grounding wire I would say the original installation was done by US electricians or possibly by Canadian electricians. Time frame? Best guess, roughly 1950s, 1960s.

Sure would like to see more pictures of the electrical panel. And maybe the electrical service entrance on the outside of the building.
Jim

doctorcilantro

« Reply #69 on: 7 Jan 2014, 12:04 pm »
The dishwasher pics. The Yellow wire when disconnected from dishwasher chassis, when breaker is powered, is 6V AC - between it and dishwasher chassis. When powered up and running there is no AC on chassis, it measures 0v. I think it follows the Euro standard where yellow or yellow/green is ground. I have not yet inspected the outlet behind the dishwasher.

There is a green wire in the dishwasher harness, along with the block and white, that is grounded to chassis (not shown). The wire that is grounded to chassis securely (pic looks like it's not) is the yellow wire from the large white wire which runs to the outlet behind the dishwasher. If I can get back there I could test the cable with multimeter.

« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2014, 01:05 pm by doctorcilantro »

doctorcilantro

« Reply #70 on: 7 Jan 2014, 02:35 pm »
This leads to all sorts of questions. The straight bare copper wires that run horizontally parallel quite neatly are earth wires, one of them bottom RH corner is a green, assume the rest are earth wires. They terminate on corroded screw terminals directly on the chassis. The brown wires are they bare cables then, yes, earth wires. Whether they bond pipes or are in themselves earthing conductors, should nowhere be connected to the neutral.

The OP stated he's in the Middle East, they follow Euro or GB wiring rules (hopefully anyway) 400/415V Star (Wye) 230V to Neutral. His complex at camp runs from a 110V system, so there's a transformer upstream from the distribution board. The neutral should be bonded to the earth at the transformer side, not here at the Dist board. I see this as a lot of earths being bonded to the neutral where they shouldn't be.

Very interesting. Thank you all for the links and input on this. Once we get the panel off here, hopefully more answers. Before that happens, it will be easier for me to inspect the outlets in the room with Audio circuit.

Anyone have a guess if this is a ground problem? e.g. Can I cheat my P3 and see if the buzz comes through? Can DC current be minimized with proper grounding schemes? Of two circuits tested, one has a problem. Just curious if this is riding ground, neutral, or both...

More pics - what does PH. 3 mean?

jea48

« Reply #71 on: 7 Jan 2014, 03:01 pm »
The dishwasher pics. The Yellow wire when disconnected from dishwasher chassis, when breaker is powered, is 6V AC - between it and dishwasher chassis. When powered up and running there is no AC on chassis, it measures 0v. I think it follows the Euro standard where yellow or yellow/green is ground. I have not yet inspected the outlet behind the dishwasher.

There is a green wire in the dishwasher harness, along with the block and white, that is grounded to chassis (not shown). The wire that is grounded to chassis securely (pic looks like it's not) is the yellow wire from the large white wire which runs to the outlet behind the dishwasher. If I can get back there I could test the cable with multimeter.

doctorcilantro,

Pictures are great.

Looking at your pictures it appears the white cord is used to power the dishwasher. The white cord plugs into the receptacle at the back of the dish washer.  Correct?

The white cord has 3 insulated conductors. Brown, Blue, and Yellow.

The brown wire connects to the black wire lead from the dishwasher. Brown is the hot conductor.

The blue wire connects to the white wire lead from the dishwasher. Blue is the neutral conductor.

The yellow wire should be the safety equipment ground wire and should be connected to the chassis.

The way it looks now from your pictures the metal chassis is not grounded. For safety to protect from electrical shock it must be grounded.

If you want to test for ground continuity of the yellow wire,
* Turn off the breaker at the electrical panel that feeds the dishwasher.
* Verify, test, make sure the power is off at the dish washer.
* Set your multi meter to AC volts on a scale over 120V. Check for voltage from the blue wire, of the white cord, to the yellow wire of the cord. You should read zero volts.
* Next set the multi meter to OHMS. Check for resistance/continuity from the blue wire to the yellow wire . You should read short or one ohm or less close to short.

Connect yellow wire to chassis.
Jim

jea48

« Reply #72 on: 7 Jan 2014, 03:39 pm »
Very interesting. Thank you all for the links and input on this. Once we get the panel off here, hopefully more answers. Before that happens, it will be easier for me to inspect the outlets in the room with Audio circuit.

Anyone have a guess if this is a ground problem? e.g. Can I cheat my P3 and see if the buzz comes through? Can DC current be minimized with proper grounding schemes? Of two circuits tested, one has a problem. Just curious if this is riding ground, neutral, or both...

Single phase and three phase power systems.
http://www.faqs.org/docs/electric/AC/AC_10.html

I would bet the original electrical wiring of the building you are in was wired by electricians from the USA or US military electricians. 
I would also bet it was wired using the NEC code from that time period.

I said earlier I thought the time frame was around the 1950s, 1960s.  I think I was a little too early.
Again just guessing I think the time frame is probably more like around the 1960s - 1970s. Do you know when it was built and wired?

As for the three phase power. 
I am curious if phase to phase, (Hot to Hot) voltage readings are 208V nominal. I would bet it is. 
Jim

doctorcilantro

« Reply #73 on: 8 Jan 2014, 05:07 am »
Sorry no pic of green wire, but there is one coming from dishwasher harness with black and white that does go to chassis. So yellow to chassis and green to chassis. I will double-check with tests you suggest tonight.

doctorcilantro,

Pictures are great.

Looking at your pictures it appears the white cord is used to power the dishwasher. The white cord plugs into the receptacle at the back of the dish washer.  Correct?

The white cord has 3 insulated conductors. Brown, Blue, and Yellow.

The brown wire connects to the black wire lead from the dishwasher. Brown is the hot conductor.

The blue wire connects to the white wire lead from the dishwasher. Blue is the neutral conductor.

The yellow wire should be the safety equipment ground wire and should be connected to the chassis.

The way it looks now from your pictures the metal chassis is not grounded. For safety to protect from electrical shock it must be grounded.

If you want to test for ground continuity of the yellow wire,
* Turn off the breaker at the electrical panel that feeds the dishwasher.
* Verify, test, make sure the power is off at the dish washer.
* Set your multi meter to AC volts on a scale over 120V. Check for voltage from the blue wire, of the white cord, to the yellow wire of the cord. You should read zero volts.
* Next set the multi meter to OHMS. Check for resistance/continuity from the blue wire to the yellow wire . You should read short or one ohm or less close to short.

Connect yellow wire to chassis.
Jim

One and a half

« Reply #74 on: 8 Jan 2014, 08:39 am »
Excellent photos.

Indeed the white cable supplies the dishwasher.
Yes, the Green/yellow cable needs to be connected to the chassis directly, not by using a panel screw that's convenient. The connection to the earth must be a lone connection with a metal thread (not self tapped) screw, washers, and spring washers. The screw and fixings should be brass or stainless. The lug to the earth wire must be an eye type, not a spade.

The cable is just hooked around a metal hole with a knot. This is not good at all. The dishwasher's vibrations will eventually chafe through the wire, causing the chassis to be live. With no earth conductor connected, this is a very serious condition.

The cable needs to be supported by a nylon bush, preferably a gland, or tied up with cable tie mount to make sure the cable doesn't pull out.

The above is regulations. My personal advice is while this work is going on, replace the wire nuts with a block connector, I can't stand wire nuts.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #75 on: 9 Jan 2014, 07:23 am »
Here is a shot of the dishwasher ground wire. I'm going to secure the yellow wire with whatever I can find around here, and check the outlets/switch tonight.

I passed on some questions to folks around here and waiting to hear back.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #76 on: 14 Jan 2014, 05:34 pm »
Still don't have panel open but I was able to test Office circuit HOT to Audio circuit HOT which resulted in 210v.

That means the two circuits are on separate legs?

My P3 is buzzing away with no dishwasher on; night-time seems worse than day.

When I put my hand on the amp transformer, or ground it to the Office ground, the buzz goes away. The inherent amp hum is a non-issue as it is silent from 1.5ft.

Sadly, it seems that the OFFICE / DISHWASHER breakers are on same row, so the AUDIO circuit is on a separate leg already if the answer to my question above is yes.

I imagine that hooking up the AUDIO circuit on the OFFICE BREAKER would result in the same buzz.

*I think I have made an inappropriate assumption in the above...since the buzz occurs w/o dishwasher running, maybe the leg the Audio circuit is on is just noisy.
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2014, 05:10 pm by doctorcilantro »

doctorcilantro

« Reply #77 on: 16 Jan 2014, 08:11 pm »
Since I'm still troubleshooting why my OFFICE circuit doesn't make my P3 buzz loudly like my AUDIO circuit, I can't help but notice how loud the tranny itself hums on my Rachel.

I tested it with no input cables, as directed by Decware, and see 3.5mv on the Audio circuit, and 3.0mv AC on the Office circuit.

Like I said, the hum out of speakers isn't really objectionable but I think the tranny could use rubber washers. If I lift up on it the hum seems to lessen noticeably.

Any chance anything is bad in the amp (resistor etc?) with the AC reading on the output terminals?

Ironically, even though my P3 buzzes away on my Audio circuit, if I ground the Rachel tranny or bias meter screws to the ground of the separate Office circuit OR the Audio circuit, the buzz (DC current) goes away (not the hum).

One and a half

« Reply #78 on: 18 Jan 2014, 07:50 pm »
Still don't have panel open but I was able to test Office circuit HOT to Audio circuit HOT which resulted in 210v.

That means the two circuits are on separate legs?

The 210V is derived from a three phase Wye Network. If you measure from Hot to Neutral it should be 210/SQRT3 = 121V. While you are there with the meter, what's the voltage between the audio and office circuit on the Neutrals and then the same for the earths. If you have anything other than zero, let's talk.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #79 on: 19 Jan 2014, 05:52 am »
Ground to ground = .066v AC

Neutral to Neutral= 1.055 v AC 

P3 buzzing away while doing this...

Office = 119.5V AC
Audio = 120.5V AC