Under $1000 power conditioners...

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Under $1000 power conditioners...
« on: 11 Dec 2012, 05:19 pm »
Any suggestions???

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
Re: Under $1000 power conditioners...
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2012, 05:32 pm »
You can't beat this... http://www.piaudiogroup.com/RevB_MajikBUSS.html

I have a Rev. B MajikBUSS (as well as an UberBUSS) in my two hi-fi rigs and absolutely love them! Does absolutely no harm, while keeping things extremely quiet & dynamic as hell! I also experienced a bit of "gain" on my systems, which wasn't a bad thing at all!

Two  :thumb: !!!

Dave is also a gentleman, who's honest & trustworthy to deal with... A win-win in our crazy audio world!

My $0.02,
Pete

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2012, 05:48 pm »
I use one of these with good results:  http://www.b-p-t.com/cpc-clean-power-center.html

I also have a dedicated line, which is very well below $1,000 and should be considered in conjunction with a power conditioner.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2012, 06:03 pm »
I wrote this last Spring:

For a start, "power conditioner" is a vague term.
It may mean any combination of:
Interference filter
Surge protection
Automatic line voltage adjustment
Isolation Transformer
UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) and this term has different meanings.
Balanced AC line power

So what do you want to do and why?

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2012, 06:03 pm »
+1 on the PI Audio equipment, but be aware that the Buss line does not offer any protection for your equipment, which many other conditioners offer in addition to their power conditioning.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2012, 11:37 pm »
What is inside of the Magik Busses? They look like a good deal if they are what I am thinking.

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2012, 11:54 pm »
What is inside of the Magik Busses? They look like a good deal if they are what I am thinking.

Believe that is a proprietary secret, IIRC. Maybe some hints in the PI Audio Circle...

TONEPUB

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2012, 12:55 am »
Used RSA Haley or new IsoTek.  I've had great luck with both...

roscoeiii

« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2012, 12:58 am »
Shoot me a PM if you are interested in a used Haley. Been meaning to list one FS...

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 13 Dec 2012, 01:00 am »
I wonder how these compete with a Magikbuss

http://www.psaudio.com/shop/dectet-power-center/

Nice price. And a lot of function there with the different zones, etc. and all those receptacles.

these here just came out recently:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/accessories/products/cmx2

are also very highly reviewed by users, built like a tank, and inexpensive. You HAVE to love the fact that they show you what's under the clothes there too, not hiding anything.

jdoris

« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2012, 01:03 am »
Balanced Power Technologies (b-p-t.com)

Numerous options at (below) your pricepoint.

Nice kit, and Chris Hoff is an excellent guy to deal with.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2012, 01:05 am »
Nice kit, and Chris Hoff is an excellent guy to deal with.
He sells kits now?

tonyptony

« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2012, 01:07 am »
At the risk of trying to make a sale, look for my ad on Audiogon for a rather custom BPT CPC, or PM me for details.

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2012, 01:22 am »
I wonder how these compete with a Magikbuss

http://www.psaudio.com/shop/dectet-power-center/

Nice price. And a lot of function there with the different zones, etc. and all those receptacles.

these here just came out recently:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/accessories/products/cmx2

are also very highly reviewed by users, built like a tank, and inexpensive. You HAVE to love the fact that they show you what's under the clothes there too, not hiding anything.

Wow. Interesting stuff RClark. Not entirely clear for either what sort of conditioning is being done (other than the  Emotiva handling DC on the line), so tough to say vs. the Buss line. But both offer surge protection that the Buss line does not give you (PI Audio has introduced a separate surge protection device).

IIRC, both PS Audio and Emotiva have solid return policies, as does PI Audio. So it would be pretty easy and risk free to compare them. Likely not many folks out there with experience with all of these since the Emotiva and PS Audio units were released quite recently I believe.

But back to that Emotiva device: I have never seen such a low price for a device that gets rid of DC on the line. CI Audio used to make such a  device, and I believe PS Audio still makes the Humbuster III, but these are/were $300 or so. To get something that does this at under $100? Killer. For any of you out there with humming toroids in your components chassis, check this thing out. I had DC on the line in my old apt, causing my amp to hum. Humbuster fixed that right up. (Again that is hum from the chassis that this may help, not hum through the speakers).

Folsom

« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2012, 01:56 am »
Believe that is a proprietary secret, IIRC. Maybe some hints in the PI Audio Circle...

Yeah... but AC is so simple that unless they can manufacture something unique, very unique, it isn't going to last forever.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #15 on: 13 Dec 2012, 03:45 am »
Yeah... but AC is so simple that unless they can manufacture something unique, very unique, it isn't going to last forever.

Unless you've actually tried one of Dave's "Busses" in your system, you really don't have a clue DoS. Then again there are tons of AC members who have tried & ultimately bought one for their systems and their accolades are mentioned frequently throughout AC if you care to do a search DoS. PI Audio's Busses are one of the best power conditioning deals on the market IMHO. I also like BPT balanced power conditioners and use the two together in my system to good effect. YMMV!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

roscoeiii

« Reply #16 on: 13 Dec 2012, 03:50 am »

randytsuch

« Reply #17 on: 13 Dec 2012, 05:47 am »
$75 and free shipping for the emotiva, couldn't pass it up.

I had been planning to build a filter myself, but wasn't sure what housing to use, so I just bought this instead.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #18 on: 13 Dec 2012, 05:56 am »
My earlier thoughts on Buss vs RSA here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106183.msg1101332#msg1101332

As I read it, your earlier thoughts weren't about the Buss vs RSA but were about the Buss with the RSA. You not only didn't do a direct comparison of the Buss vs RSA, you didn't even demo the Buss alone in your system w/o having the RSA attached. That was a real shame IMHO as you really have no idea what the Buss alone might have done for your system.

Cheers,
Robin

Folsom

« Reply #19 on: 13 Dec 2012, 06:30 am »
I would be willing to compare it to my own but... I'm not going to assume it'll offer as much. Knowing that at that price it isn't easy to offer a lot and still make something, is part of my reasoning as well.