what does 1500 US get you for Power conditioning

TomS

Re: what does 1500 US get you for Power conditioning
« Reply #40 on: 31 May 2012, 01:58 pm »
DTB300 - Glad to know the MOV did it's job and you're happy with the H-6  :thumb:

To others, for the record, I've done more than a lot of research, purchased several power conditioning/distribution solutions, and DIY'd where it made sense. Back then, I researched and demo'd a similar larger Shunyata US model in my own system, sent it back, and decided to purchase a competitive unit (RSA). This process happens all the time, and I'd say that's far from "lazy" or "quick". Mr. Samuelson reinforced what I had learned in my research back then and is very consistent. The dealer didn't support opening it up as it was coming back, but explained the innards just as Shunyata does now as "minimalist/high parts quality" approach. Fine by me. The markup is ok too, no different than other products, and value is from the perspective of the person with the money in hand.

The photo simply made me curious, as I thought they were vague on what constitutes multi-element filtering at individual outlets, and the picture shows a fair amount of insulated wiring, not all buss bars, which isn't consistent with what I've seen before. As I stated, for me, it helps to see what I'm getting, and I usually have a pretty good understanding of what I'm looking at. Topology and implementation do of course matter, but it's really about performance. I also don't necessarily buy by the pound (see NCore threads) though it would certainly be easier!

It's great to have choices, including Shunyata, and we can all make our own decisions. Perhaps it's time to just give it a rest unless there is some constructive learning still to be had.

DTB300

« Reply #41 on: 31 May 2012, 03:04 pm »
MOV and Circuit Breaker in H-6 took the hit and saved the components.

Like you, IMO, the RSA products sound a little better in my rig - both for front end and amplifiers.  But I have both in my rig.

And there are some components you can look inside, see parts you know (and maybe expect), but yet not fully understand the engineering behind it.  RSA is a great example of this.
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2012, 11:07 pm by DTB300 »

Rclark

« Reply #42 on: 31 May 2012, 07:45 pm »

So what is the final analysis? This is worth $1500 and sorry to bother you Mr.Shunyata?

TONEPUB

« Reply #43 on: 31 May 2012, 09:07 pm »
This doesn't look like current Shunyata product...

drummermitchell

« Reply #44 on: 1 Jun 2012, 12:52 am »
it's the European model hydra 6.
We'll a couple of copper buss bars and a 1.39 TMOV,definitely worth 12-1500.
I use to use the 6 and 2's years ago,glad I sold them,have found something a lot better as I have compared them both to what I use now.

werd

« Reply #45 on: 1 Jun 2012, 01:07 am »
it's the European model hydra 6.
We'll a couple of copper buss bars and a 1.39 TMOV,definitely worth 12-1500.
I use to use the 6 and 2's years ago,glad I sold them,have found something a lot better as I have compared them both to what I use now.

This is what you get with a cable company trying to build electronics. So called minimalist approach. Kinda gets them off the hook with that marketing approach.

You say it was riveted ...no shit it was riveted. At over a grand wouldn't you have riveted it...  :lol:

Not buying the marketing pitch  and never will.

drummermitchell

« Reply #46 on: 1 Jun 2012, 01:20 am »
Werd,trouble is people see what's inside and still they would buy :scratch:.
A person can make one on audio10 diy hydra,plus there's some more interesting things about the hydra 4.

roscoeiii

« Reply #47 on: 1 Jun 2012, 01:49 am »
Grant from Shunyata gave a detailed reply and I highly respect his openness both in regards to this thread and on his webpage in general. As with all audio equipment, give it a try in your system! Let your ears be the judge, since we have credible testimonies about the protection that the Shunyata products offer.

It's not like there aren't online retailers like Music Direct with excellent return policies or local Shunyata dealers who may have audition units. If you want to build a DIY power conditioner to compare to a Shunyata, by all means go ahead.

And in general, it seems that power conditioners are very system and AC dependent. Not a component that I would buy without a return/audition option or total confidence that I could sell it for very close to what I paid.

Let your ears decide. Shunyata doesn't seem to be hiding anything here.

Thanks again Grant for your thoughtful and thorough reply.

drummermitchell

« Reply #48 on: 1 Jun 2012, 01:18 pm »
Let your ears and EYES decide,that I agree with,what I don't agree with and it's not just shunyata is the pricing
for a few receptacle,some wire,tmov,copper straps,breaker switch and a box.
I really wonder what's in the box that people hear such a dramatic difference than going to the wall,
placebo effect perhaps.
Oh we'll as long as were happy with what we purchased then all's well.
Home auditions do it for me as it's free and you get to hear in your own environment as to what those conditioners are doing or not.
That's how I made a big improvement comparing and it wasn't suttle :thumb:..

Æ

« Reply #49 on: 1 Jun 2012, 05:56 pm »
So basically the answer to the original statement/question is that $1500 doesn't get you very much.

roscoeiii

« Reply #50 on: 1 Jun 2012, 06:01 pm »

So basically the answer to the original statement/question is that $1500 doesn't get you very much.

Not much? Are you kidding? Didn't you read Grant from Shunyata's response? Or the comments of ACers here with ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with Shunyata units? Hell that surge protection story alone made me feel like the Shunyatas were well worthwhile. That kind of protection and an improvement in sound? I'm sold. And I applaud Grant for his forthrightness.

Easy enough to try these for yourself and return the unit if you don't feel like the performance improvement is worth what you paid.

werd

« Reply #51 on: 1 Jun 2012, 06:21 pm »
Not much? Are you kidding? Didn't you read Grant from Shunyata's response? Or the comments of ACers here with ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with Shunyata units? Hell that surge protection story alone made me feel like the Shunyatas were well worthwhile. That kind of protection and an improvement in sound? I'm sold. And I applaud Grant for his forthrightness.

Easy enough to try these for yourself and return the unit if you don't feel like the performance improvement is worth what you paid.

I am sure many here know that I am big supporter of cables and tweaks. But this is not good advice here. This is a good example of gouging in this industry. Not sure who, may even be the dealer more but (Grant)Shunyata didn't seem to mind the posted price so I would say a bit of both. Shunyata seriously needs to reevaluate their pricing if their products follow this kind of minimalist approach.
I am sure it's a fine power distribution block but not 1500 bucks fine. No where near it.

roscoeiii

« Reply #52 on: 1 Jun 2012, 06:58 pm »
Grant is very open about his pricing. And in audio it is well known that dealer mark-ups are substantial, thus the giant-killer status of many manufacturer-direct products. I get tired of the "those parts only cost $XXX! How can they charge so much?" comments. As if the parts' cost were the manufacturers' only expenses. R&D, salaries, rent, & the aforementioned dealer mark-up (usually around 40%) all play a part. Below is a link to Bruno from Hypex's explanation of audio product pricing that you will see John Atkinson from Stereophile applauding:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/190434-hypex-ncore-388.html#post3012928

Actually listen. Compare it to other competing options. And decide if it is worth it in your system.

Æ

« Reply #53 on: 1 Jun 2012, 07:21 pm »

Yes, I did read his rebuttal. I'm still not impressed. Anyway, darn MOVs will cost you about $2 ea. They aren't in the signal path and shouldn't be considered as having a "sonic" signature. I've added many a MOV to equipment that I've owned, in fact manufacturers usually have an MOV inside their units. So, buy yourself three MOVs, solder them in place and save yourself $1494. But, it's your money, spend it any way you want.

I had to service a microwave oven once, the residence had experienced a surge, maybe a lightning strike on the power lines. One single MOV inside the unit saved it from total destruction. All I had to do was desolder the blown MOV and replace it with a new one. Yes, there were burn marks on the circuit board, but the unit continued to work just fine after replacing the fuse.

roscoeiii

« Reply #54 on: 1 Jun 2012, 07:26 pm »
Your system, your money, your call.

Æ

« Reply #55 on: 1 Jun 2012, 07:40 pm »
Your system, your money, your call.

The only bad part about it is that I sometimes get my Thermistors and Varistors mixed up, they look alike.

skunark

« Reply #56 on: 1 Jun 2012, 09:28 pm »
Hell that surge protection story alone made me feel like the Shunyatas were well worthwhile. That kind of protection and an improvement in sound? I'm sold.

I think for $1500, I would be first looking into whole house surge suppression solutions, then perhaps a dedicated outlet and a PC for the audio gear.   

roscoeiii

« Reply #57 on: 1 Jun 2012, 09:38 pm »
Well there is protection and then there is power conditioning. Two different things. Some power conditioners offer no protection. Some surge protectors offer no power conditioning.

MaxCast

« Reply #58 on: 1 Jun 2012, 09:44 pm »
Hey guys, it is what it is.  At least Grant stepped up and laid it all out.  From there it is your call.
It is certainly interesting and should make us think, not hound a manufacturer.

DTB300

« Reply #59 on: 1 Jun 2012, 11:14 pm »
Hey guys, it is what it is.  At least Grant stepped up and laid it all out.
Grant and Richard from Shunyata are great people to deal with.  Straight forward and very personable.  Another plus for the product IMO.  And then they even dropped by here to explain what their product is all about.  Do not see that too often.

I have both Shunyata and Running Springs and very happy with both.  Tried MANY MANY other conditioners  (many of the other ones mentioned here, plus many others not mentioned) and I kept coming back to my two favorite.

Lets cut a speaker in 1/2 and then we can talk about the cheap parts in the Xover.  Or cut apart a cable and note there is only copper there, or silver, or both.  How about counting windings on transformers - which model has more?