28BSST or 7BSST????

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 28BSST or 7BSST????
« Reply #40 on: 22 Jun 2008, 05:46 pm »
Hi Klao,

I would not say that the 7B vs the 28B's would always display the same differences on each and every loudspeaker. The Thiels being a very wide dispersion speaker tends to 'accent' the room reflective properties much more so than a Dipole like the Maggies or a 'controlled' dispersion like most British speakers. The Thiels present a very upfront perspective with most amps in most rooms so I would say it is much more a characteristic of the speaker over the amp - sort of like an 80 (speaker)-20% (amp) split.

The Maggies on the other hand are diploles and their dispersion characteristic is very different so the soundstage perspective is much more dependent on the placement of the speakers.  Getting the right balanced between the back reflected sound wave relative to the front sound wave will have much more influence on the soundstage characteristics than the amp will - sort of an 80 (speaker) - 20% (amp) split.

That being said Jim Winey himself (Magnepan owner and designer) uses 7B's in his own home system with Maggies-(5.1 setup no less).  Also the Magnepan demo in Vegas this year that Harry Pearson of Absolute Sound comment on in the Magazine as been one of the best demos he heard was three 7B's, a BCD-1 CD Player and BP26 Preamp on a 3.2 Maggie show demo setup.

james

klao

« Reply #41 on: 6 Jul 2008, 05:19 pm »
Hello James,

I am eventually now enjoying a one-week home audition of the the BP-25 and the 7B-SST's on loan from Bryston distributor to drive my Maggie 3.6's.

That 20% amp split you mentioned was too modest!  The 7B's are really superb with the 3.6's.  When I listened to the Mozart string divertimento (by Gramiaux Trio) on my own integrated amp (400W@4Ohms - once a Class A component in Stereophile), the violin sounded too forward and bright.  I thought it was due to improper set up of the speakers or maybe the recording itself.

Via the 7B's, the violin and strings in general sound smoother, sweeter, and properly placed.  Crescendos of large orchestral music are immensely listenable; no desire to turn down the volume for fear of annoying my spouse and the neighbors.  Everything sounds more real with subtle nuances and details I didn't hear before.   

Can't wait to hear how the improved 7B's with new input stage trickled down from the 28B's would sound.  I sure don't need that 1k watts of the 28B's in my small listening room (5.4 x 3.8 x 3.4 meters), for I never have to turn the volume knob of the BP25 beyond 9:30 o'clock with the 7B's.

Why should I doubt amplification choices made people like Jim Winey and Peter McGrath on Magggie speakers in the first place?  Maybe just like you said, it's all in the demo with our own ears.

Salute!

c_note

« Reply #42 on: 10 Nov 2008, 03:12 am »
Hi, James.  First and foremost, thank you for your active participation in this forum, it is warmly appreciated by Bryston fans everywhere.  Early in this thread you express an opinion on the subtle differences between the 28 and the 7sst.  As well, in an entry dated April 2008, you indicated that Bryston plans to "trickle down" some of the technological advances in the 28sst into lower-powered models.  Can you provide any details or time frame for when we could expect this to happen?  I think that many people, like myself, are extremely interested in the 28sst concept, but simply have no need for a kilowatt of power or the financial means to afford it.  Implementing 300 or 500 watt monoblock versions of this concept, in smaller, more affordable packages, could be a giant killer, however.

Thanks again for your hard work in this forum.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #43 on: 10 Nov 2008, 11:43 am »
Hi, James.  First and foremost, thank you for your active participation in this forum, it is warmly appreciated by Bryston fans everywhere.  Early in this thread you express an opinion on the subtle differences between the 28 and the 7sst.  As well, in an entry dated April 2008, you indicated that Bryston plans to "trickle down" some of the technological advances in the 28sst into lower-powered models.  Can you provide any details or time frame for when we could expect this to happen?  I think that many people, like myself, are extremely interested in the 28sst concept, but simply have no need for a kilowatt of power or the financial means to afford it.  Implementing 300 or 500 watt monoblock versions of this concept, in smaller, more affordable packages, could be a giant killer, however.

Hi C_note,

We are very close.

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #44 on: 10 Nov 2008, 12:28 pm »
Is the 4b going to be updated?

95Dyna

« Reply #45 on: 11 Dec 2008, 09:52 pm »

Hi C_note,

We are very close.

james

Hi C_note,

We are very close.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #46 on: 11 Dec 2008, 09:58 pm »
Hi James,

I'm also in the 28 vs. 7b decision process and have read repeatedly that the most outstanding characteristic of the 28b is that it sounds great from "the very first watt".  What design characteristic(s) makes that capability possible and will it be trickling down to the 7b?  If so, when?

Thanks,

Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #47 on: 11 Dec 2008, 10:39 pm »
Hi James,

I'm also in the 28 vs. 7b decision process and have read repeatedly that the most outstanding characteristic of the 28b is that it sounds great from "the very first watt".  What design characteristic(s) makes that capability possible and will it be trickling down to the 7b?  If so, when?

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes we announced today the new versions of all the amplifiers.
They will be called the SST/2 (squared)
I will post in a few minutes.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #48 on: 13 Dec 2008, 12:06 am »
James,

Great news and a really good move by Bryston.  I've been beating my head against the wall between the highly reviewed sound characteristics of the 28 while the 7B is the ideal power and size for my situation.  Assumning the 28's sound will follow the updates the 7B's are now an ideal choice for me. 

Thanks,

Bill