Check out what's going to RMAF.... more pics added

Danny Richie

Re: Check out what's going to RMAF....
« Reply #20 on: 26 Sep 2013, 04:55 am »
The subs are three 12" servo woofers per side.

The tweeters are also open backed.

And the wiring is very clean.

persisting1

« Reply #21 on: 26 Sep 2013, 06:03 am »
The subs - I'm assuming six drivers per side running off of the new dual channel hypex plate amps?

Does Hypex make servo controlled plate amps?

brj

« Reply #22 on: 26 Sep 2013, 06:41 am »
Does Hypex make servo controlled plate amps?

The Rythmik HX800XLR3 uses two UcD400 modules from Hypex.  (Scroll to the bottom of the page.)

persisting1

« Reply #23 on: 26 Sep 2013, 07:25 am »
I was not aware that the Rythmik HX800XLR3 used Hypex. I'm a fan of the UcD400 modules. Good to know  :thumb:  Thanks.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #24 on: 26 Sep 2013, 10:26 pm »
O.K. Danny,

It's been long enough, time to show us the sub towers  :)

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #25 on: 26 Sep 2013, 11:26 pm »
Looks great, can't wait to hear them. See ya at RMAF...  :thumb:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #26 on: 27 Sep 2013, 12:06 am »
What Drivers are going to be used?

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #27 on: 27 Sep 2013, 01:52 am »
[cough] Price? [cough]  :wink:

Captainhemo

« Reply #28 on: 27 Sep 2013, 01:52 am »
O.K. Danny,

It's been long enough, time to show us the sub towers  :)

hehe,  I thought the same thing  !

-jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #29 on: 27 Sep 2013, 02:01 am »
What Drivers are going to be used?

I would have figured these   used Danny's new NQ drivers but then  after seeing   his comment earlier in  this thread saying  the drivers were   made specifically for   this  design  ?
Not sure  ,  did you mean  designed specifically for OB (as the NQ was ,  or specifically designed for  this speaker in  which  case it's something different entirely ?

Curiouos, curious, curious    :scratch:

-jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #30 on: 27 Sep 2013, 02:21 am »
Danny did say earlier that the same BG NEO8's used in the LS-6 and LS-9 would be used besides the custom open baffle woofers.  Is that what you were asking?

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 27 Sep 2013, 02:31 am »
When you design a line source like this you really have to watch the sensitivities of the woofers. The woofers actually need a low sensitivity, so that after all the grouping of parallel drivers and the coupling effect that they have, they won't have higher sensitivity than the tweeters.

So the woofers are a lower sensitivity high Q design.

They are similar to the woofers used in the LS-6 and LS-9, but the impedance is higher and the the Q is higher.

If I put one of these little woofers in a ported box it could hit a -3db of 29Hz. But the box would be 2.1 cubic feet (for one woofer).  :lol:

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 27 Sep 2013, 02:32 am »
Maybe I'll snap some sub tower pics tomorrow....

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 27 Sep 2013, 02:36 am »
Jonathon, yeah, a, (cough, cough) something like that.

You know these are going to be fairly expensive. They are costing these guys quite a bit just to build them.

If anyone is serious about them though I do know that this first pair going to the show can be had at a really good price.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #34 on: 27 Sep 2013, 03:32 am »
(for once) I'm not trying to get on your case regarding price, Danny. ;)  Doing something like this, and at the level of quality it looks like from this side of the monitor, I hope no one has any illusions about these being cheap.  World class, take on anyone kind of speaker going on here, no doubt.

Is there a web presence (or contact information) for our host company on these, such that serious inquiries can be made regarding costs and availability?  I know you'll take care of somebody very well at the show, for sure, but I can imagine folks in the market for something like this not only have their tickets to Denver booked, but are probably already starting to work up their budgets. :)

Somewhat related question, at the show are you going to be running these with the all-battery Dodd front end, or are you going to have to dust off the blue beasts to get all those woofers to move?  :icon_twisted:

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 27 Sep 2013, 03:49 am »
(for once) I'm not trying to get on your case regarding price, Danny. ;)  Doing something like this, and at the level of quality it looks like from this side of the monitor, I hope no one has any illusions about these being cheap.  World class, take on anyone kind of speaker going on here, no doubt.

Is there a web presence (or contact information) for our host company on these, such that serious inquiries can be made regarding costs and availability?  I know you'll take care of somebody very well at the show, for sure, but I can imagine folks in the market for something like this not only have their tickets to Denver booked, but are probably already starting to work up their budgets. :)

Somewhat related question, at the show are you going to be running these with the all-battery Dodd front end, or are you going to have to dust off the blue beasts to get all those woofers to move?  :icon_twisted:

I believe they plan to retail these for $39,000 a pair. It's quite the bargain actually considering what is out there in the $40G plus price ranges. Even at double that or more these will be really tough to beat. I bet the first $25,000 offered on this first pair will get them shipped to their house after the show. Now that is a REALLY good deal.

I'll be running a new version of the Dodd Pre-amp that has moved the bar to a new level. This will be its first showing. And it is battery powered as is the Mac Mini and db Audio Labs DAC.

I have been thinking about bringing the out the big blue amps, but I am running out of room to carry this stuff as it is. And those big blue Doddzillas weigh 600 lbs or more in the shipping creates.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #36 on: 27 Sep 2013, 04:14 am »
I believe they plan to retail these for $39,000 a pair. It's quite the bargain actually considering what is out there in the $40G plus price ranges. Even at double that or more these will be really tough to beat. I bet the first $25,000 offered on this first pair will get them shipped to their house after the show. Now that is a REALLY good deal.

I'll be running a new version of the Dodd Pre-amp that has moved the bar to a new level. This will be its first showing. And it is battery powered as is the Mac Mini and db Audio Labs DAC.

I have been thinking about bringing the out the big blue amps, but I am running out of room to carry this stuff as it is. And those big blue Doddzillas weigh 600 lbs or more in the shipping creates.

:surrender:

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #37 on: 28 Sep 2013, 01:32 am »
Thanks for the ballpark figures, Danny.  If you have it, a web address or some contact info would probably still be cool to have for folks shopping.  I tip my hat to their engineering team working on the shipping materials - safely getting these from origin to destination is no small feat itself!

So, a few more technical questions:

Passive crossovers, I assume, on the line arrays?  Electra connectors, premium caps, etc. - top shelf all the way, yes?

Do the usual rules apply regarding room size/seating placement with a line array, considering these are also open baffle, or do the rules change?  Rough starting point for optimum room size and listening distance?

Will you have the "ambiance" subs in the back of the room as in previous setups for folks to compare with and without?  I'm thinking that although the two driver sub setups in the Super V/7 could keep up with their upper sections, adding two more drivers adds a measure of "effortlessness" to the low end, even in a larger room.

600lbs. . . :lol: I only asked because I remember show reports from back in the day when the LS6/9 made their debuts, and some folks critiqued that although the speakers sounded "good" with moderate power, considering the sensitivity of the speakers, they really came in to their own when given a little "more" to play with.  I just wouldn't want to see these speakers picked at by reviewers with any ". . . they could have been great, but. . ." kind of statements.  If not the Doddzillas, maybe a pair of 120s or something in that ballpark at least on standby?  Heck, if Gary still has them, how about those mini-fridge looking beasts he built a while back?  You don't have to pick up the check for the power bill at the show, right? ;)

Come to think of it, I'm sure the range is sub-20-20k+ easy, and power handling is simply not an issue, but I don't remember you mentioning a quotable sensitivity number?

. . . and I thought I remember you mentioning something about the sub tower pics. . . and maybe the amp enclosures if those are fancied up like the rest? :)

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #38 on: 28 Sep 2013, 03:18 am »
+1  sad, going to the hyper expensive world  :cry:

Danny Richie

« Reply #39 on: 28 Sep 2013, 03:48 am »
+1  sad, going to the hyper expensive world  :cry:

Oh I am still the same old guy.

But I have to design and build what the clients want me to.

And the more expensive stuff is fun too.