Linked Events

• LampizatOr Rave: 19 Oct 2013

LampizatOr Rave

Charles Xavier

Re: LampizatOr Rave
« Reply #120 on: 24 Oct 2013, 03:32 pm »
Can I request that you try to keep your views on how/where NY RAVE is doing out of the thread.  I have heard it multiple times and really do not need to hear it in every thread.

Thank You

can I request shills stay off the circle

BobM

« Reply #121 on: 24 Oct 2013, 04:09 pm »
Heard the Lamp Big 6 last night at Grant's house. It is very hard to say what piece of equipment was adding what to the sound, since he has newly refurbished speakers (Apogee Duetta Sig's), new amps (Tube Research GT200's), & a Dude preamp w/ Duelands. And yes it is still all breaking in, so I expect it to get better.

The sound was probably the most real I have heard things in a long time. Incredibly spacious and airy, dynamic and detailed, and very musical. To know for sure what the Lamp was adding to this I would have to replace it with a known CD player/DAC but I can say that it certainly belonged in this league and was doing nothing to detract from the great sound I was hearing.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #122 on: 24 Oct 2013, 05:00 pm »
can I request shills stay off the circle

?  Which Circle are you referring to Charles?  This one is the Audio Shows Circle, and you have already repeatedly posted that you don't like Mfg'er driven Raves.  We get it.  But Shadowlight opened his home to a bunch of strangers and helped put this thing on.   He has the right to try and redirect the discussion back to something about the Rave.  And to then call him a shill is unfortunately exposing a bad side of you, which is surprising given your previous posting history here.  We all have bad days; maybe you could share yours a little less.   :)

shadowlight

« Reply #123 on: 24 Oct 2013, 05:38 pm »
Folks,

Can we keep the topic on target.  Would hate to have the thread binned.

Lissnr

« Reply #124 on: 24 Oct 2013, 06:49 pm »
I enjoyed last wknd's get together at Deepaks, as I had mentioned, ( thanks again for the wonderful hospitality!) and I especially enjoyed meeting Lukasz. From my 30+ year obsession with this hobby I have heard so many back/ forth discussions about measurements  vs listening and I think most agree that even great measurements do not insure great sound and how they can often have very little relation to great sound . As for great music producing equipment designers, these people have to know more about their craft than an intimate knowledge of circuits and electricity... To make an electronic device that actually "Serves the music" to the extent that the sound truly approaches "Believable" through an audio system is almost magical and a far far cry removed from the relatively simpler world of knowing "how to" build equipment with great specs and measures well... It rises to a level comparable to a great artist instilling the most elusive of ingredients into a component... Giving it that intangible "Soul" that must be present to conjure up the EMOTION of the music... Have you ever cried at the intensity of an opera's Diva or felt your heart fluttering or your smile erupting with the sweetness of a singer or felt the rush of glory flow out of a symphony??? These are things almost exclusively found only in live performances and to EVER be able to even remotely replicate them in an audio system is truly rare and NOT something that can simply be  "designed in" with measurements and formulas alone.
To find equipment that excels so well in their "assigned task" be it amp or pre- amp, DAC ,TT or whatever .. Not to mention how speakers  come in to play ( no pun intended) is the journey that is this hobby. And it is a journey...
Equipment with "Soul???" You betcha. I have never known one designer to hit that mark as perfectly as Lukasz Fikusz has with his Big 6 Dac. It is absolutely magical. Lifelike recreation of tangible space ? It's got it. Virtually "immersive" presence . But does it do all the audiophile checklists? Detail? Frequency extension? Imaging? Ya ya ya ya ??? Yes yes yes yes ... It does everything that live music sounds like and you'll never pick up your " checklist" once the music starts... It just sounds "Real" Period.
I feel very fortunate... Less than 6 months ago I never heard the name  "Lampizator" and the only associations I ever had with anything Polish was an ex-wife (who was 100% but born in the US)., my current wife ( who is 50%) and I like them for their sausages and some pretty decent vodka... Other than that: "nothin". But now? I was very very fortunate finding out about this "Lampizator stuff"... It has really changed the quality of music listening in my home. Earlier this week I managed to get in contact with Lukasz himself through a few of my audio buddies ( thanks Bertolucci and Gopher) who kept in touch while he was " stateside" and I convinced them all to come to my place for a listen. Fortunately Murphy's Law took a night off and everything was cooking pretty well ( break- ins of my Duelund cast caps in my amps were underway and not complete but still sounding damn good). It was a great night and i insisted Lukasz claim the sweet spot chair exclusively ( there's only one chair that works... I have TSW'S Apogee Duettas Sigs and they don't do "Bose's ' Music Everywhere' " they just do AWESOME in one chair and that's perfectly fine by me). After that first song I was honored when he turned to me [ with something of a 'quiet amazement' on his face (I know ... But it seemed like that!!!?!!) and he said to me " Congratulations, your system sounds like there are no individual components that can be described or discerned by themselves... It all simply becomes believable music ... I can't imagine getting any better than this" . He said it ( I wrote the words down later to remember his first reaction/ comments as I often do for those 'first timers' to my room). A few songs later his response was simply "I have goosebumps...".  Coming from anyone these comments are wonderful... Coming from the designer of the most profound piece of equipment in my system I was truly honored... Sorry, call
Me sentimental but this "hobby" we all share goes a lot deeper [ for me] than collecting coins or baseball cards, golf or bowling, travelling, dining, mountain climbing... Or Whatever your passions may be... We all have a connection with music or we wouldn't be doing this like we are and this was/ is a big deal, as you could all imagine. All I can say is cool stereos... Ones that Really " bring you there" are SO damn cool, they just are. Great hobby.., lots of great people too. Thanks to all and to Lukadz : thanks for all your outstanding talent exemplified in your creations.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #125 on: 24 Oct 2013, 07:26 pm »
I like to read all the threads about the Lampizator products because it seems like this guy :

follows a similar path as this guy :

Berto

« Reply #126 on: 24 Oct 2013, 08:01 pm »
More recent pic I took of Lukasz in Grants dedicated room/building. Grant is on the left.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #127 on: 25 Oct 2013, 12:24 am »
More recent pic I took of Lukasz in Grants dedicated room/building. Grant is on the left.

Hey Lissnr - thanks for impromptu invite and to see Lukasz twice in two states within 2 days (Polish Power)... Nice to see berto & gopher as well...

Your system is beginning to sound like a true "transporter room"... a little more break-in & few minor tweaks and you're there, ready for transportation to music nirvana... next time, I want the "sweet spot"!

Cheers,
Pete

Lissnr

« Reply #128 on: 25 Oct 2013, 02:50 am »
Hi Pete, Thanks for the accolades and all the helpful advice you've given me for so long... your "drop-by's" are always welcome and I know I can trust [your good ears] for some straightforward opinions. Looks like it's all finally starting to gel ...just a few hundred more hours on the Duelund Casts and some minor tweaking, as you said. I'm convinced the last two pieces of the puzzle completed the picture with the addition of the amazing topic-of-discussion above: The Lampizator Big 6 as well as the "Golden Goose" amps of my dreams the Tube Research Labs GT 200 Triode Mono Blocs (love those KT 150's!) (Thanks Paul)! 
Maybe one of those "last item little tweaks" might be swapping out my TWL American 8G power cords for your new "7"s? We should talk. Anyway, thanks buddy...as I said: you're always welcome for some time in "The seat". Best regards,

BobM

« Reply #129 on: 25 Oct 2013, 12:32 pm »
 ... and figuring out how to balance those BG subs with your REL to get the 'kick" factor back. When the Duelands finally settle in it will likely all resolve itself. Still - very impressive as it is already.

fridays

« Reply #130 on: 25 Oct 2013, 01:25 pm »
From what I'm hearing the Duelands take hundreds of hours to break in is that true?

Thanks

wisnon

« Reply #131 on: 25 Oct 2013, 01:37 pm »
250 hours to stabilize...VCaps take longer 400hours.

Berto

« Reply #132 on: 25 Oct 2013, 02:18 pm »
Duelunds do take a few hundred hours but the break in is VERY natural and still enjoyable IMO. I do not think Grant mentioned he is breaking in NEW transformers too which will take alot longer then any caps will.

Lissnr

« Reply #133 on: 25 Oct 2013, 03:05 pm »
Thanks Berto, I am remiss in not bringing that aspect of my system up... I was told by Paul W. ( the designer / builder of TRL gear)that he replaced all my transformers with new, even quieter, heavy duty units which will take a good three months of operation before settling in to sound their best and it hasn't been half of that yet. We will see. Thanks!

Geardaddy

« Reply #134 on: 25 Oct 2013, 06:34 pm »
Lissnr, you lucky dog.  What a system!  Congrats.  I owned the Dude for many years along with TRL Samsons and more recently the ST-100 which Rob now owns.  His transformers take a LONG time to break in as do the caps.  You are in for a treat.  From all that I have read, it sounds like the Lampizator gear is of the same ilk with that large and organic, "breath of life" sound.  There is no substitute for it IMO. 

All the teeth gnashing about measurements is amusing and diversionary and may reflect some early memory loss for Jtwrace (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119555.0).  I am a little surprised that the facilitators of this site have not busted him for being a troll. 

Audio is a closed loop equation in which the central variable cannot and will not ever be quantified.  It is a hobby of the heart in its purest form.  We have all heard gear that measures well but makes leaves fall from the trees.  Why is that?  This is an old experiment but still apropos in this regards:  http://www.stereophile.com/features/203/  What else is there to say?  I will take point-to-point wiring, custom transformers, and tube circuits over chinese conveyor belt products that measure well.  If it makes your "inner engineer" happy, great.  Go for it.

Geardaddy

« Reply #135 on: 25 Oct 2013, 06:52 pm »
I like to read all the threads about the Lampizator products because it seems like this guy :

follows a similar path as this guy :

Quiet Earth, awesome post.  You nailed it!

Emil

« Reply #136 on: 25 Oct 2013, 07:25 pm »

Looks like Lukasz fell for it. He's probably  trapped in Grant's  basement a la James Caan in Misery and wont let him out until he builds him a lamp Big 7 or something

dminches

« Reply #137 on: 25 Oct 2013, 07:37 pm »
He better be back in Poland building DACs or I will free him myself.

Lissnr

« Reply #138 on: 25 Oct 2013, 07:58 pm »
  I agree, awesome post! ( you have an insightful  perspective and a great way with words). As for the TRL gear (Paul Weitzel) and the Lampizator gear ( our newest hero, Lukasz), the common bond both designer/builders share ... Or, to be more specific, the exceedingly rare combination of brilliance, imagination, dedication, patience ... and all the other ingredients necessary to produce such "soul-stirring" equipment, is a talent they were both blessed with... { And }which ultimately becomes OUR haven from life's hectic pace through the glorious music they replay.
  I don't know if I'll ever convince Paul to make a trip to the NY area someday... (Maybe he'll be here on business sometime?) but one more snapshot in my room with Paul next to me would certainly be the perfect "other bookend" to the one [ above] with Lukasz. Now, if I could only get us ALL [3] together?!
  Cool stuff guys. Happy Lissn'n!

shadowlight

« Reply #139 on: 25 Oct 2013, 08:16 pm »
@Geardaddy,

Jason is entitled to ask for measurements since that is how he judges if the equipment is worth purchasing or not. 

Thanks everyone for getting the thread back on track talking about Lampizator equipment be it positive or negative.