SS 6M Spacing

golddustpeak

SS 6M Spacing
« on: 3 Jul 2020, 07:01 pm »

I’m still experimenting with my new SS 6Ms and enjoying every minute of it.

I’m currently working on establishing the best the distance between them and toe in.

I started with about 80% and have slowly worked my distance out to almost 100% of the approximate 9 ft. listening distance to the speakers and they are toed in to just behind my head.

I’m using a combination of mono and stereo to listen to women’s voices while working on spacing.

What have you experienced and used in regards to spacing and toe in of SS 6Ms?

Thanks!

jsalk

Re: SS 6M Spacing
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2020, 07:29 pm »
I see no one has answered your question.  I would start with a listening position that is the same distance back as the distance between the speakers.

These speakers do not require any toe-in at all.  The more you tow the speakers in the tighter the imaging.  But the sound stage will not be as wide and deep.

I would first try them straight on and then toed in about 5 degrees.  See which you prefer.

In the end, it comes down to your personal preferences.  Some would prefer more pin-point imaging while others would prefer a slightly larger sound stage.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

golddustpeak

Re: SS 6M Spacing
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2020, 10:51 pm »
Jim,

Thanks for confirming what I've heard.

With previous speakers I found that they sounded best at 80% to 85% spacing to the listing distance, so I was just so surprised when I moved the SS 6M's out to 100% of the listening distance.

As I've said before these are wonderful speakers in sound and sight.

Thanks so much!