SACD ripping using a PS3

DanielF

Re: SACD ripping using a PS3
« Reply #180 on: 5 Oct 2013, 02:06 pm »
Update:
I did:
1. 'Restore PS3 system'
2. Format HDD (full - took >5 hours for 80GB!)
3. Reinstall OtherOS++
4. Install  SACD-ripper (v0.37 - though identifies as 0.36) with keys
5. Run SACD-ripper - still produces blank screen and frozen system!
I'm getting desperate now!  Anybody have any clue what's going wrong??
Rgds, Daniel

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #181 on: 5 Oct 2013, 02:14 pm »
You have a bad unit, Daniel.  And V37 will show as V37, not v36. 

good sound

« Reply #182 on: 7 Oct 2013, 01:12 am »
Hey Ted;

Any update on when instructions of how to backdate the PS3 firmware will be ready?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #183 on: 7 Oct 2013, 02:14 am »
Hey Ted;

Any update on when instructions of how to backdate the PS3 firmware will be ready?

Nothing yet.  I would not hold my breath.  Instead pay the $100 and have it done via hardware.

holzohr

« Reply #184 on: 10 Oct 2013, 01:35 pm »
Hello, I got my PS3 today and already have ripped 4 SACDs successfully (USB rip mode) :thumb: Thanks again to Mr Wicked and Ted`s SACD ripper primer.

I found my PS3 on (German) eBay. At first I was surprised that there were even 4 offers for this special PS3 that`s needed for SACD ripping. As an absolute beginner in PS things I asked everyone if it is really the PS3 version with SACD-playback. 3 of them never had heard about SACD, the fourth knew about SACD but didn`t own any. I decided not to confuse these people and didn`t enlighten them about the treasure box they are offering there.

Now I wonder why I didn`t look for a PS3 much earlier. It`s good to have a complete sacd/dsd "infrastructure" at home  8)

I bought my last SACD 3-4 years ago. Yesterday I have ordered ten more at once  :D

Audioclyde

« Reply #185 on: 10 Oct 2013, 02:44 pm »
Yesterday I have ordered ten more at once  :D

I completely understand; I blame Ted B all the time for the impact on my wallet (Meitner MA-1 dac and countless SACD's)  :lol:!

Seriously though, a huge "Thank you" goes out to Ted, Mr. Wicked, Jesus, etc. for their tremendous efforts on the DSD front!

Randy

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #186 on: 10 Oct 2013, 02:58 pm »
Your wallet?  What about mine!  ?   :D

Thanks for all the nice comments.  Sony, et al, have seen an uptick in DSD/SACD buying.  I'm very interested in hearing and seeing their new players, etc at RMAF.

ebag4

« Reply #187 on: 10 Oct 2013, 04:31 pm »
Nothing yet.  I would not hold my breath.  Instead pay the $100 and have it done via hardware.
Are you saying that someone can backdate the firmware on a backwards compatible PS3 for $100.00?  Is there a link to this person/company?

Thanks,
Ed

NordicNorm

« Reply #188 on: 10 Oct 2013, 04:44 pm »
Are you saying that someone can backdate the firmware on a backwards compatible PS3 for $100.00?  Is there a link to this person/company?

Thanks,
Ed

It's more of a downgrade than a backdate, but yeah. Google is your friend.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #189 on: 10 Oct 2013, 04:58 pm »

Thanks,
Ed

Yes, and although there are others....Jason is very good and knows both the PS3 and the ripper project.  He is at northeastohiopcs at gmail.com

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #190 on: 10 Oct 2013, 05:16 pm »
In fact, when I get back from RMAF I am going to hunt down the author of the latest rumor....and that rumor is:
That SONY had disabled SACD playback from most PS3's (except the four known models, of course) but that the playback (and subsequent ripping) is available to be restored somehow.  This does not include a few unique PS3's like the Superslim ones (and slims are questionable), etc.  Anyway...I will look into it.  If anyone wants to supercede and/or help my investigation then google something like
“bd_enable_sacd.c”

Ted

DanielF

Help with PlayStation 3 (SACD ripping)
« Reply #191 on: 11 Oct 2013, 06:36 am »
I've managed to fix my PS3/SACD-ripper problem, though I'm not sure just which step was the 'vital' one in the fixing process!

Ted_b, thanks very much for steering me to the latest SACD-ripper version - much appreciated!  But just because I'm a raw beginner with the PS3 and SACD ripoping doesn't mean I'm stupid - just ignorant.  I think you were a little dismissive with your earlier posts.  I didn't for a moment believe my PS3 was 'broken' (hardware-wise) - as a software engineer I know it's pretty hard to do that simply by loading new software on a machine.  Additionally, though SACD-ripper correctly reports v0.37 when it runs, you must remember that the whole purpose of my original post was that SACD-ripper was not running on my PS3.  So the only way I could check (at that time) what version was installed was through the PS3's Options menu, which does display SACD-ripper v0.37's version incorrectly as 0.36!  (See screen photo.)

But the purpose of this (longish again, sorry) post is not to upbraid ted_b, but to outline the steps I took to restore successful SACD-ripper operation, in case others with the same problem end up at this thread.  I did a lot of Googling, but found no-one with exactly the same problem.  But there were many threads talking about a 'black screen' when starting a game, and I suspected my problem was possibly similar, given that SACD-ripper appears as a 'game'.

Many of those threads suggested going through the list of actions, from top to bottom, that appear in the PS3's 'Safe Mode' menu.  I tried all those, to no avail.

So I thought I'd try 'going back to tors' - 'rebuilding' my PS3 firmware from scratch, to bring it back to how it was when I bought it (second-hand).  So I downloaded and installed OFW3.55, followed by an 'update' to True Blue 3.55 (this is what was installed when I bought it, complete with True Blue dongle, which I subsequently sold).  Then I installed SACD-ripper v0.37, even though I knew it wouldn't run under True Blue (but this is what I did when I first got this PS3, albeit with SACD-ripper v0.21).  But on trying to run SACD-ripper, still just a black screen (in the original case, it at least told me it wouldn't run with that OS).  So then I 'updated' to OtherOS++3.55, but still no joy.

Some of the 'black screen' threads mentioned that this is a common symptom if your BD drive is faulty, even if the drive is not required for the game.  I thought it unlikely my drive was faulty, given that it worked fine before I did the SACD-ripper update that started this mess.  But someone mentioned a BD drive 'reset' (by holding the eject button for > 30-seconds).  I did this, but still no joy with SACD-ripper.

Well, I thought, maybe my drive is faulty - I'd better test it.  So I popped in an SACD, and was horrified to find that the PS3 didn't recognise there was a playable disc there.  The blue light was on steadily, but nothing appeared in the PS3's Music menu.  As a last resort I tried rebooting the PS3 with the SACD still in the drive.  Now it appeared in the Music menu!  I played a bit of track 1 just to be sure all was well with the drive (it played fine).

Then I forlornly tried SACD-ripper once more, not expecting any change.  But it ran, and asked for the PS3 keys!!  I quickly inserted them, and was ripping that SACD in no time!  Woohoo!!!

So in summary, I don't know which of the many steps I did was crucial to getting SACD-ripper running again, but my gut feel is that it was the BD-drive reset/insert-disc/reboot/play sequence.  At one stage I looked at forums that explained how to replace the BD drive and 'remarry' it, and one of the final steps in that process is inserting a BD movie and playing it, to 'restore your DRL files' (whatever they are).  Maybe inserting and playing an SACD performed a similar function??

PS: After this success, I re-setup my wireless networking on the PS3 (the settings having been wiped during the many system resets etc I tried) with the hope of being able to rip SACDs via the network.  But after doing this and checking that I could browse the web, when next I tried to run SACD-ripper again I got the same black screen I had just fixed!

After rebooting the PS3 (since it was frozen), I again inserted an SACD in the drive (SACD-ripper normally complains if there's no disc, so I didn't have one in it for that quick re-test before), and this time it showed up immediately in the Music menu.  Now when I ran SACD-ripper it behaved correctly again.  I don't know what's going on there.

Incidentally, when I then tried to rip via the network, SACD-extract r274 (on the networked PC) gave me this error message before exiting, despite me having permitted it (via ZoneAlarm) to access the network:
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.112:2002 for reading
(Those are the correct numbers, as shown on the PS3 display at the same time.)

I'm not too worried about that, as the 32GB USB drive I bought specifically for ripping is now working on the PS3.  But it would be nice to have ripping working via the network too.

Daniel (Australia)

Update 30 March 2015:
This same problem occurred a second time, when my HDD became corrupted and I had to do a "Restore PS3 System", then reinstall Other_OS3.55++ and SACD Ripper.  SACD Ripper again produced the black screen and froze the PS3.

So for anyone stumbling upon this thread with the same 'black screen' problem I experienced, the definitive answer seems to be the "BD-drive reset/insert-disc/reboot/play sequence" which I thought was the probable fix the first time round.  I did that straight away this time (except the SACD played even before the reboot), and it fixed the problem straight-up.  So there you are - hope it helps someone else.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2015, 05:45 am by DanielF »

DanielF

« Reply #192 on: 11 Oct 2013, 12:28 pm »
Mr Wicked, if you're reading this thread, Lokkerman (from SurroundSound@googlegroups) asked me to pass on his regards!   :)

A BIG thanks from me, too, for your work on SACD-ripper – a ripper of a program, if you'll excuse the pun.  :D

Daniel

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #193 on: 12 Oct 2013, 02:59 am »
Daniel, I never said your Ps3 was broken by software..I said your Ps3 was broken period.  And that was simply a hunch, an idea  you clearly contemplated as you describe possible drives issues, etc.  Your reboot fix makes sense (my guide always said to reboot) but am concerned your SACD ripper screen looks the way it does.  It is not standard by any means. 

I am more than happy to help folks, and believe that I have a decent reputation in doing so, but I didn't write this code...so I can't troubleshoot when one does not follow my guide.  Software like True Blue is not anything I can support as I have no experience with it, and it's not art of my documented workflow.  Sorry you felt slighted by any of my comments.

DanielF

« Reply #194 on: 12 Oct 2013, 05:56 am »
Ted,

Don't get me wrong – I certainly do appreciate your help (as do many others, I'm sure).  I was just a little put off by your abruptness in one particular post.  Not to worry, we're past that now.  :)

As for the SACD-ripper screen you don't recognise, that's because it's not a screen from SACD-ripper but a screen about SACD-ripper!  Try this on your PS3:
1. In the Games section, scroll down to SACD-ripper but don't  press X to run it.
2. Instead, press the triangle button to bring up the options menu.
3. In the options menu (right-hand side of screen), scroll down to INFO.
4. Now press X and you'll see the screen I showed above.

While this screen is not generated by SACD-ripper, it obviously gets its data from SACD-ripper, so Mr_Wicked has presumably forgotten to update that part of the code that the PS3 looks at for this option info.

As for the True Blue CFW, I'm not wanting any assistance with it, as I already know SACD-ripper doesn't run under it.  It appeared in my monologue simply because that was what came with my PS3, and I was trying to 'retrace my steps' to get back to a working SACD-ripper.  As you would see from that monologue, I quickly replaced True Blue with OtherOS++, as I had done in the initial instance, and that's what my PS3 runs on now (and has since shortly after buying it).

I understand you're not the author, but have been intimately involved with beta testing SACD-ripper from the start.  Thanks for your continuing involvement and generous support.  Though it's not an urgent issue for me, I would appreciate any comments about my network failure, if this is within your experience.

Rgds, Daniel

holzohr

« Reply #195 on: 12 Oct 2013, 07:00 am »
I could post the same screenshot. It says version 0.36. Confusing but as long as it works...

rw@cn

« Reply #196 on: 12 Oct 2013, 01:27 pm »
Rather than use a USB drive I would prefer to use a HDD over the USB connection, is this feasible?

DanielF

« Reply #197 on: 15 Oct 2013, 05:15 am »
That is simply an ISO that is larger than 4GB (Fat32's limit), so the ripper splits it into two pieces.  Use HJSplit to combine them.  No big deal.
While recently scanning this thread I just noticed this comment about split ISO files from SACD-ripper.

In fact you don't need any additional software to re-join the split ISO, assuming you're running any flavour of Windoze (or MS-DOS for that matter).  You can rejoin the pieces into a single ISO with this DOS command, run from a DOS (command) box in the directory where the split files reside:
copy /b file1+file2 filename.iso
where file1 and file2 are the complete filenames of the split pieces (you can add more the same way, if there are more than two) including their filename extensions, and filename is the name you want for the final ISO file.  Note carefully the spaces (around the /b, and between the concatenated files and the output file; none around the '+').

The /b is important – it says 'do a binary copy' (the default is for text files, which would wreck an ISO file! :-))

Daniel

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #198 on: 15 Oct 2013, 01:57 pm »
(For whatever weird reason my post from RMAF hotel did not get posted.  Here it is)
DanielF and holzohr, I apologize about the screen shot questions and assumptions.  It seems I do not know everything about the ripper, as I've never gone to that screen before!  DOH!  Anyway, thanks for pushing the info here, and as someone I respect once said "I'm learning something new everyday....and I'm sick of it."  :) 

Yes, dos command level or the free HJSplit.  Either will combine 001 and 002 files for a full (greater than 4GB) ISO concatenation.

rw@cn

« Reply #199 on: 15 Oct 2013, 02:18 pm »
Ted,

Please send me the latest SACD ripper version.

Thanks in advance,

Bob