How does DA 1.1 differs from DA RMa

CHLim

How does DA 1.1 differs from DA RMa
« on: 22 Aug 2012, 08:19 am »
Could someone be kind enough to enlighten me?

I read from the postings in this circle that Daedalus would sound like Harbeth in the mid, but with better highs, cleaner bass and of course dynamic. Is that so? I like the fullness of Harbeth, it somehow gives the sound the rightness.

I am quite familiar with Harbeth. They do not rock my boat, lacks of dynamic. Worst of the lot is SHL5. Monitor 40.1 is slightly better but not good enough.     

My current speaker is Revel Performa F32. Would Daedalus an upgrade to F32? Furthermore, my listening room is 16'x10'x 9', a dedicated room that my F32s is well behave.

Would DA RMa fit the bill? DA RMa vs DA 1.1 with AP?

Regards

dodgealum

Re: How does DA 1.1 differs from DA RMa
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2012, 03:22 pm »
I would suggest you talk to Lou regarding which model would be best for your room size and listening preferences. As a former Harbeth owner I have posted a numerous occasions about my search for a speaker which sounded "right" but also had excellent dynamics and a fuller, bigger sound. If you are at all interested in my experience and thoughts on the matter I would suggest you do a search over at Audiogon. My own two cents regarding which model given your room size would be the Darma or the Athena. I'm running DA-1.1's in a room that measures  17 X 13 X 8 and feel like I'm right about at the limit of how small a room can be with my speakers. I think you may find your room is slightly too small for a full range floorstander like the DA-1.1's. Finally, FWIW and no disrespect intended, any of the Daedalus models would be a significant step up from your F32's, which I have heard on several occasions. Good luck with your search.

CHLim

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2012, 10:55 pm »
Hi dodgealum,

I have read your enthusiastic reports on your DA 1.1. For 3 times F32 price, I'd surely expect a significant improvement over F32. What others speakers have you auditioned before you come to DA 1.1?

Personally, I find Franco Serblin's Accordo very good on tone and dynamic. Somehow, the low bass stop me from owning them. Accordo is even better than Marten Django driven with Vitus played via CAS which I found to be lack of emotion. Have you listened to them? Please share your thought.

Regards

figcon

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2012, 02:32 am »
Hello....I own a pair of Deadalus Ulysses and have owned three different pairs of Lou's speakers over the last several years. I am familiar with Lou's speakers and agree with Mark that either the Athena or DARma would best fit your room.

They sound a lot different than then the Revel speakers. I heard the Salon in two different rooms at RMAF two years ago, one with all tube Rogue equipment with analog as the main source and then HK's dedicated showroom on wheels, played with all Mark Levinson gear.

While the sound was good, particularly in the bass range, the sound was unnaturally bright sounding to me in both rooms. Exciting, but not so musical.

Lou's speakers...all of them...are great sounding and beautiful to look at and can be listened to every day for as long as you have to listen. They are exciting and sublime at the same time.

The DA 1.1 is probably a bit large for your room, in my opinion.
Best of luck to you in your search.

david12

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2012, 11:36 am »
 CHLim   I listened to a number of speakers before buying the DARmas. For the price, I found them very hard, or impossible to beat.

The list included ART Deco from the UK, Devore Gibbon 9's, Coincident Super Victory, Silverline Boleros, Peak Consult Empress. Of all of those, I liked the Devore and Silverline best, but the latter are nearly twice the price and some of the others are much more expensive too.

I listened to the new Accordo speakers too, recently. That was at a small dealer show, when I was the only one there, so I was able to have long listen, with my own music. Both the standmounts and floorstanders were very nice indeed, though I preferred the smaller standmounts. In the UK market, even the standmounts are a lot more expensive and on balance, I still prefered my speakers.

CHLim

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2012, 01:46 am »
Thanks guys.

I shall make Daedalus my shortlist.