New RSL CG5/CG25 Reviews and Discussion (Congrats to RSL!!)

ajzepp

Re: (*Updated 5/23*) New RSL CG5/CG25 Reviews and Discussion
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jun 2019, 10:20 am »
Congratulations, sounds like a perfect set-up. Thanks for posting the review :)

:beer:

mmurt

« Reply #21 on: 5 Jun 2019, 03:23 pm »
Thanks for the review!!

ajzepp

« Reply #22 on: 6 Jun 2019, 12:51 am »
Thanks for the review!!

Anytime!

AvsFan

Re: (*Updated 5/3*) New RSL CG5/CG25 Reviews and Discussion
« Reply #23 on: 19 Jun 2019, 06:04 pm »
I do, yep. I have it paired with some Magnepan 3.6s. It's a very clean sub, particularly great for music. The only RSL I haven't heard yet are the new re-packaged CG3s, but my understanding is that they're only a cosmetic change from the previous version, otherwise it's the same speaker. But yeah, the Speedwoofer is a solid value for sure.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOO happy I came across this thread! I LOVE RSL as well! Well at least the Speedwoofer 10S, as I have  pair of them in my theater room with my ZU Audio speakers.

Anyway, I just got a pair of Magnepan LRS's and am LOVING those too! I am brand new to Maggie's and it's a different way of listening to music. I really like them. However without a doubt, they need help in the weight and bass department. I have been debating about trying a pair of different subs for the Maggies but now that I have found another Maggie owner running RSL subs and liking them, I may just get another pair and save myself a lot of money. I already know I like them for music, so why try something else and be disappointed. 

AvsFan

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jun 2019, 06:12 pm »
It would probably be a very nice addition to an HT set up if the room was small-to-medium sized. If a larger/more open room, it may not be enough once the tracks get demanding. That's the main reason I use Power Sound Audio subs (Tom Vodhanels, one of the original founders of SVS's comapny) for HT and the RSL primarily for music. The 10" driver they use sounds great, but not sure how it would handle difficult passages in action films. No reason to believe it can't, just haven't really pushed it yet.

They are equally as good for home theater use. I LOVE the way they sound. Very articulate on home theater too. And a pair hit plenty low enough in my room. And I know what low sounds like as I have owned MANY SVS subs in my life. I haven't been happier than I am now with my RSL subs. They might fall off some under the 25hz range but who cares. Most of the action takes place above that. Believe me, they pressurize and shake my room. But they do it in a nimble and defining way way. MY dual RSL's are a permanent fixture in my home theater system. I might just add two more because I can.  :D Stupid ridiculous value for $399! I would pay $600 for this sub.

AvsFan

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jun 2019, 06:45 pm »
I was looking to get a pair of subs this summer for my HT. I currently was thinking of getting the Rythmik sub parts and building the pair of subs, but that would end up costing me $500 more than the RSL Speedwoofer 10s and a significant time sink in building the sub cabinets. The Rythmik can go lower, but will I notice it? I have been running with out any subs. 5.0 system.

Maybe I missed it but what are you running for speakers in your 5.0 setup? And you will LOVE a pair of Speedwoofer 10S's! Especially sonce you have no subs right now. Will completely and dramatically change your system. Also, what is the size of your room? If it is VERY large, you might need to go a different route or do more than two. But if it is say a normal, medium or small room, two is plenty.

AvsFan

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jun 2019, 06:50 pm »
Anytime!

Yeah, thanks for the review. I will be ordering a CG23 for use as a center in my HT room. I know it's considered a sin to not have your center channel timbre matched with your mains, blah, blah and so on, but if it's a quality center channel, it won't really bother me. I am using a Boston Acoustics center right now paired with the ZU's. It's a complete mismatch but it actually sounds good and it isn't distracting. And I am VERY meticulous and picky. If I don't like the way it sounds, I will just send it back. But once again, thanks for the info on the pairing with the Maggies, you just saved me a ton of money and hassle of returning something if I didn't like it. Although the subs I was considering were the REL T5i's, which I heard were GREAT subs.

WC

« Reply #27 on: 19 Jun 2019, 07:08 pm »
Maybe I missed it but what are you running for speakers in your 5.0 setup? And you will LOVE a pair of Speedwoofer 10S's! Especially sonce you have no subs right now. Will completely and dramatically change your system. Also, what is the size of your room? If it is VERY large, you might need to go a different route or do more than two. But if it is say a normal, medium or small room, two is plenty.

JBL Studio 530s for mains and surrounds. JBL Studio 520C for the center. I have a medium to large size room and also adjoining room that can't be closed off. Looking at a pair of 15" sealed Rythmik subs now due to the room size. Subs are for HT and multi-channel music use. 2 channel will be a separate system with a rotating cast of speakers: full rangers, OB, and Omni's.

AvsFan

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jun 2019, 08:34 pm »
JBL Studio 530s for mains and surrounds. JBL Studio 520C for the center. I have a medium to large size room and also adjoining room that can't be closed off. Looking at a pair of 15" sealed Rythmik subs now due to the room size. Subs are for HT and multi-channel music use. 2 channel will be a separate system with a rotating cast of speakers: full rangers, OB, and Omni's.

Go with the 15inch Rythmik's! They have been on my radar for a VERY long time. I might even go that route for my theater room and move the RSL's to the two channel room.

ajzepp

« Reply #29 on: 21 Jun 2019, 04:39 am »
I am SOOOOOOOOOOO happy I came across this thread! I LOVE RSL as well! Well at least the Speedwoofer 10S, as I have  pair of them in my theater room with my ZU Audio speakers.

Anyway, I just got a pair of Magnepan LRS's and am LOVING those too! I am brand new to Maggie's and it's a different way of listening to music. I really like them. However without a doubt, they need help in the weight and bass department. I have been debating about trying a pair of different subs for the Maggies but now that I have found another Maggie owner running RSL subs and liking them, I may just get another pair and save myself a lot of money. I already know I like them for music, so why try something else and be disappointed.

Nice!

AvsFan

AvsFan

« Reply #31 on: 2 Aug 2019, 03:58 pm »
Nice!

How are you enjoying your new RSL's?

ajzepp

« Reply #32 on: 7 Aug 2019, 02:43 pm »
How are you enjoying your new RSL's?

Oh, I am really glad I went ahead and converted the room...and even more glad I put RSLs in here. I've had a couple of guests over, and for a smaller room where I didn't do any construction, it's sounding really good. I'm generally just not a box speaker kind of guy, but these things just always hit my sweet spot, so to speak. I still need to add some more treatments to the room, specifically the rear wall and ceiling, so hopefully there is still room for improvement. But even if it never got any better, I'd still be very happy with the results.

ajzepp

« Reply #33 on: 12 Aug 2019, 11:37 am »
Just a quick head's up that I've decided to put my CG24s and CG4s (the speakers I recently upgraded to the new RSL 5 series) up for sale. I had no intentions of doing that, but I just don't have anywhere to put them anymore and I hate to have them just sitting around collecting dust. So, if the right buyer comes along, they're available.

ajzepp

Re:New RSL CG5/CG25 Reviews and Discussion
« Reply #34 on: 1 Feb 2020, 07:55 am »
Congrats to RSL on their CG5 being chosen as the Product of the Year in the Audioholics budget bookshelf speaker category.

Ive posted a lot on here about how much I've enjoyed my RSLs since first coming across them in 2012...so much so that I chose RSL speakers all around for my theater room that I put together last year.

If anyone is in the market, these are incredible bang for the buck.

Here is the link to the Audioholics story:
https://www.audioholics.com/product-awards/2019-product-of-year

EHill

Re: New RSL CG5/CG25 Reviews and Discussion (Congrats to RSL!!)
« Reply #35 on: 11 Jul 2020, 07:54 pm »
Do you think the RSL CG25’s can hang with the Magnepan LRS?

I see you have the 3.6 Maggie’s how do they compare to the CG25’s?
I’m sure the 3.6 blows them out of the water just because of the design and the sure size of the 3.6.

I have the RSL speed woofer and I absolutely love that sub.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EHill

« Reply #36 on: 11 Jul 2020, 08:17 pm »

Much better than the pictures on the RSL website.
These CG25’s look great.
Nice touch with the magnetic metal grills.
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2020, 03:28 am by EHill »