GIK room treatments - holy crap!

vortrex

GIK room treatments - holy crap!
« on: 9 Dec 2011, 09:13 pm »
my GIK room treatments just showed up and holy crap, what an unbelievable change.  I was really quite happy with the sound from my ST's before and now this...  it makes me want to see what the next step up in the Salk line could do.  I would highly suggest treating your room properly, I'm blown away.

Stercom

Re: GIK room treatments - holy crap!
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2011, 09:28 pm »
Post a pic :)

vortrex

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2011, 10:01 pm »
the monster traps in the back are temporarily propped up and there's one 242 panel opposite the two that are on stands.

Stercom

« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2011, 11:05 pm »
Very nice. I'm definitely going to look into the GIK a little more. Thanks!

Pez

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2011, 11:16 pm »
GIK acoustics, the final frontier in audio awesomeness.  :thumb: Everyone call them now and order up some panels! Your wife will thank you.  :green:

vortrex

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2011, 11:19 pm »
really!  I've praised my ST's from the start but now it seems as though someone replaced them with a much higher $ speaker.  it would fool people in a blind taste test, it's that big of a difference.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2011, 11:38 pm »
Vortrex  - glad to hear your speakers just came alive

I am also in the process of room treatments and can't wait to hear the results

kingdeezie

« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2011, 11:52 pm »
Awesome for you Vortex!

People seem to sometimes neglect this in their systems, it does make a huge difference.

Glad its working out for you.  :thumb:

drummermitchell

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2011, 11:57 pm »
They certainly do make a huge difference.
In our older house I was using a TT with two subs,I could turn it up a bit,and then I would get feedback thru the subs.
I tried out four tri's stacked in the front:whualla,no more feedback and I could turn the system up as loud as I wanted.The bottom end was alot more defined and controlled,tighter ect.
In the newer house I have three corners stacked and 242's @reflections and more tri's up around the wallceiling corners(two more on the way and then my bass trapping should be done :green:.
Two monsters on the back wall.
Now I'm thinking of diffusion just in front of the backwall.
I thought maybe realtraps diffusors(with bass trapping already there or SRL's prime 37 diffusor with my monster traps.Still thinking about it :scratch:..
So far Gik has transformed both my rooms and it is  a major system upgrade for cheap.
I've never heard a cable that can do what room treatments can do and  have had the likes of Shunyata Anaconda helixes thruout plus Lessloss DFPC's.
Even just bass trapping makes a major change,we'll worth the price where cables you are throwing your money away when you spend 500-1400 for a PC,1400 would buy a quite a few bass traps and the sound is not suttle,
cables:I think I hear,I'll listen harder and then I'll hear it,traps you definately HEAR :thumb:..
I still use my 12 Lessloss PC's as I sold off all my Shunyatas and made quite a bit of it back.
                                                        Totally Satisfied

Nuance

« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2011, 11:58 pm »
Congrats, Vortrex!  I agree - room treatments make a huge difference. 

Is the room you're listening in all hard wood without a carpet?

vortrex

« Reply #10 on: 10 Dec 2011, 12:06 am »
it's all hardwood with a thin 7.5' x 7.5' rug in the middle.

Gzerro

« Reply #11 on: 10 Dec 2011, 03:26 pm »
Congrats on the great results! Great color choice on the panels to match your Salks :thumb:.

I recently added some GIK treatments to my room as well and the difference was much more than I was expecting. Really was a fantastic upgrade for the money.

After you get settled in I would encourage your to experiment around with placement - especially try moving a panel from each side to the front wall between the speakers on either side of the turntable. I find leaving some side reflections points uncovered helps keep a large stage width and more "air", and reducing front wall reflections really helps.

Of course every room is different, as well as peoples preferences so YMMV, etc. etc.

Kinger

« Reply #12 on: 10 Dec 2011, 03:35 pm »
Very nice looking listening space Vortex.  I like the panels on the milk crates.  That's probably my plan if I finally get around to getting some panels for my front wall.  That way I can put them up and take them down as necessary to suite the wife.

Rclark

« Reply #13 on: 10 Dec 2011, 06:59 pm »
Oooh sweet. I'm doing this stage next, in Jan. Can't wait.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #14 on: 10 Dec 2011, 09:22 pm »
Glad they're working out well for you.  It's hard to explain to people what dealing with a room and excessive decay times can do until they've actually heard it.

Drop me a note if I can help with anything.

Bryan

fishinbob

« Reply #15 on: 10 Dec 2011, 10:11 pm »
Probably the best investment I've made since purchasing my
Songtowers has been the addition of lots of fiberglass

Bigfishhk

« Reply #16 on: 13 Dec 2011, 01:03 am »
my GIK room treatments just showed up and holy crap, what an unbelievable change.  I was really quite happy with the sound from my ST's before and now this...  it makes me want to see what the next step up in the Salk line could do.  I would highly suggest treating your room properly, I'm blown away.

how would you describe the difference in sound? How has it affected bass? thanks alot
tom

vortrex

« Reply #17 on: 13 Dec 2011, 07:11 am »
how would you describe the difference in sound? How has it affected bass? thanks alot
tom

like the fog was lifted and someone turned off the reverb, much more focused and clean.  bass is greatly improved and my system was suffering pretty bad from lack of it since my integrated is not exactly know for great performance there.