A link to all Tuesday Tech Talk video's.

Danny Richie

Re: A link to all Tuesday Tech Talk video's.
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jun 2020, 04:01 pm »

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #21 on: 23 Jun 2020, 04:30 pm »
This was a good one Danny, love hearing about the race car speakers, so to speak!!

Cheers,

Don

Captainhemo

« Reply #22 on: 23 Jun 2020, 07:04 pm »
Gotta love the cheese  man    :rotflmao:
Awsome it  turned out so well 

jay

VinceT

« Reply #23 on: 30 Sep 2020, 03:23 am »
Danny - Thoroughly enjoyed the recent tech talks regarding the open baffle speakers, very informative.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 30 Sep 2020, 03:28 am »
Same here!  Keep up the great videos, Danny! :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 30 Sep 2020, 01:54 pm »
Thanks guys. I appreciate everyone watching.

johnnybravo

« Reply #26 on: 5 Oct 2020, 01:10 am »
Many thanks to Danny for allowing me to come over and pick up some modified speakers this past Friday !!

Drove up from Houston (a little longer than I thought but the weather was great).

And I got a super-quick demo of Danny's awesome line arrays(?). Have not been following threads so not sure.

But they sounded amazing, even on a couple of quick songs.  Driven by an 8 watt tube amp.  :o

If I had a totally separate/set up room, these would be almost unbeatable - cost no object.  :icon_lol: :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 5 Oct 2020, 07:35 pm »
Thanks for dropping by Johnny,

Those were the NX-Treme's that you heard.

audiophilanthropy

« Reply #28 on: 13 Oct 2020, 08:15 pm »
Thanks for another great OB Basics video. I really learned a lot about configuring the amp settings for my H-frames. Going to start tweaking some more now. . .

Question for you, Sir. On the full range OB models using an asymmetric baffle, the short side of the baffle is on the outer or wall side of the frame. Which makes sense since the goal is to control dispersion in that direction. But what are your thoughts about applying that reasoning to either a home theater setup or in my case, a near field desk setup, where I want to minimize the reflections off a TV or a computer monitor? There are certainly trade-offs with room control a bit but I am curious how that will affect a full ranged center image. I haven't built any OB nearfields just yet, parts are on the way. But I experiment a lot with acoustic treatment between my nearfield speakers and my computer monitor and it makes a huge difference. Truly immersive. My goal is to take that a step further with OB nearfields.

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 13 Oct 2020, 10:51 pm »
Thanks for another great OB Basics video. I really learned a lot about configuring the amp settings for my H-frames. Going to start tweaking some more now. . .

Question for you, Sir. On the full range OB models using an asymmetric baffle, the short side of the baffle is on the outer or wall side of the frame. Which makes sense since the goal is to control dispersion in that direction. But what are your thoughts about applying that reasoning to either a home theater setup or in my case, a near field desk setup, where I want to minimize the reflections off a TV or a computer monitor? There are certainly trade-offs with room control a bit but I am curious how that will affect a full ranged center image. I haven't built any OB nearfields just yet, parts are on the way. But I experiment a lot with acoustic treatment between my nearfield speakers and my computer monitor and it makes a huge difference. Truly immersive. My goal is to take that a step further with OB nearfields.

I put the long side wing to the inside. This minimizes some of the higher frequencies dispersion and minimizes some center wall reflections. And with the open side to the outside it really opens up the sound stage.

Room treatments are of course still needed at reflection points. And a combination of diffusion and absorption works best.

Early B.

« Reply #30 on: 14 Oct 2020, 05:49 pm »
Danny -- I watched your most recent video. You should do a quick video tutorial on adjusting the A370 amp settings.  If Ron at New Record Day doesn't get it right, then what about the rest of us? I'll bet 90% of owners don't know what to do or why.

Here's the tragic circumstance -- most of us probably aren't hearing what you and Rythmik Audio designed as some the best bass on the planet. A personal story -- for years, I've had the wrong settings on my amps. When I recently made an adjustment, I basically heard an entirely different system from the bottom to the top. The sound was 100% better. However, I can probably get my system to sound even better if I learned a little more about those settings.   

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #31 on: 14 Oct 2020, 05:53 pm »
Danny -- I watched your most recent video. You should do a quick video tutorial on adjusting the A370 amp settings.  If Ron at New Record Day doesn't get it right, then what about the rest of us? I'll bet 90% of owners don't know what to do or why.

Here's the tragic circumstance -- most of us probably aren't hearing what you and Rythmik Audio designed as some the best bass on the planet. A personal story -- for years, I've had the wrong settings on my amps. When I recently made an adjustment, I basically heard an entirely different system from the bottom to the top. The sound was 100% better. However, I can probably get my system to sound even better if I learned a little more about those settings.

Same here.  For the longest time I had the wrong settings.  Then I moved things around and played with it until I stumbled onto the right settings.  They sounded decent but not mind-blowing before.  Now they sound amazing.

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 14 Oct 2020, 11:18 pm »
Okay, I'll do a video on that.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #33 on: 16 Oct 2020, 12:27 am »
:beer: :dance: :hyper:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

(Yeah, I’m looking forward to this. I’m absolutely convinced I can make it better)

Early B.

« Reply #34 on: 16 Oct 2020, 12:56 am »

Thank you, sir!!!  Been waiting a long time for this.

Please explain it to us like we're in the third grade. I learned more about this amp in the 30 seconds you spent talking about it on the last Tech Talk than I ever knew.   

RonP

« Reply #35 on: 1 Dec 2020, 10:56 pm »
Danny,

could you talk about at some point the differences between round speakers and the oblong speakers. My gut feeling is the
oblong ones are not as efficient. This is something I've always wondered about.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 1 Dec 2020, 11:05 pm »
Technically thats just a passive radiator, but its still an interesting question!  tho usually I usually only ever see oblong drivers used in automotive stereo systems, often in the rear where space is at a premium. My Dad's 72 Nova uses them.

RonP

« Reply #37 on: 2 Dec 2020, 12:59 am »
Technically thats just a passive radiator, but its still an interesting question!  tho usually I usually only ever see oblong drivers used in automotive stereo systems, often in the rear where space is at a premium. My Dad's 72 Nova uses them.

Good to know, re: passive radiator.

Yeah my mustang in the 90s had them too.

Here
https://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-series?gktab=2

along the front

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #38 on: 2 Dec 2020, 10:20 am »
Oblong drivers aka 6X9's were mostly used in automotive sound systems due to limited space.  Oblong drivers do alright with the lower bass frequencies as they are less directional but at the higher frequencies they tend to not sound right due to the driver being uneven shape which in turn uneven dispersion creating a lot of coloration.

My 2 cents.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #39 on: 2 Dec 2020, 04:50 pm »
Agreed, oblong drivers are good for bass and not so good for mids.