Hi there. New/old audiophile

atlvalet

Hi there. New/old audiophile
« on: 28 Nov 2021, 10:08 pm »
Hello there everyone from Tulsa, Oklahoma.

I've been an audiophile for a long time. Bought a set of Vandersteen 2Ci's in 1991 after my freshman year in college, along with an Adcom GFA-555 and a preamp/tuner. Had that system for close to 30 years and never bought anything else.

Fast forward to COVID, and I left Los Angeles and sold most all my stuff, including my old system. Landed back on my feet, and got the itch to get some new stuff. Wasn't sure where to start, so I picked up where I left off...the mid 90's LOL

Bought an old Aragon 24k SP preamp and shortly after an Aragon 4004 mkii. Wanted something a little more sensitive than my old Vandersteens, so I settled on the Monitor Audio Silver 500's and rounded off the system with an Audiolab streamer and an Audiolab 8300 CD player/DAC/preamp. Little did I know, that would start a fire...

After reading some people were running their DAC's directly into their amps, I picked up an Aragon 8008BB, since the 8300 can run balanced outs. Then I saw a pair of Aragon Palladiums for a price I couldn't pass up, and bought those. I worked myself up the line of the Aragon equipment that used to be too expensive for me lol

Then my dad sent me some old Genesis Technology 700's (he's the one I got the bug from). For those not familiar, those speakers have a dipole ribbon tweeter. I felt those speakers, even though they didn't have the base of the 500's, were better in every other way. I also got curious about modded Haflers, so picked up a upgraded DH500. This couldn't run the balanced outs, so I plugged my Aragon preamp back in, and WOW, so much more revealing that the supposedly "Class A" preamp in the Audiolab. It was at this point I realized what a good preamp can do/reveal.

Should I have been happy at that point? Sure. But can't stop/won't stop. Since I wasn't using the 4004 much at that point, I sent that in to get recapped. It sounded veiled compared to the Hafler.

I won't bore you with all the additional details/equipment hoarding, but suffice it to say I have two separate systems now after I picked up some Vandersteen 3A Signatures with subs and run that with some vinatge Audio Research gear and a different streamer and DAC. I will say, the ARC preamp was my first piece of tube gear...but it won't be my last.

Glad to be here and look forward to learning more as I go.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hi there. New/old audiophile
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2021, 10:59 pm »
Welcome to AC. :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2021, 11:02 pm »
Welcome!

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2021, 02:45 pm »
welcome to AC!  Sounds like you found your way down the rabbit hole too ;)

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2021, 04:33 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC atlvalet   :thumb: