COVID blues? How about a new Hestia Build?

motosapien

Re: COVID blues? How about a new Hestia Build?
« Reply #40 on: 13 Jan 2024, 04:03 pm »
Hi Motosapien,

Just so people don't get confused, I believe you are asking about the original Hestia design? (you are posting in the Hybrid thread currently).  If so, the originals are fairly easy to integrate with most subs and what you are asking about should be fine. The Hybrids require a little more care when choosing a sub.

Thanks for the reply M. Sorry about being in the wrong thread.  And thank you for the original design!

sjhomey

« Reply #41 on: 28 Jan 2024, 06:41 pm »
I am in the process of finishing up, with Matevana's very generous advice, a version of this design with different drivers. They are up and running and sound very good. I have built three of the Hestia versions and this is by far the best. Amazing detail and invisible.
I am using Markaudio Alpair 11 MS Gen2 full range drivers instead of the Jordans. They are considerably less expensive, but have a well respected reputation, with which I fully agree. Over 6", they are much larger than the Jordans. The Alpairs are paired with Hi-Vi Research E8 8" woofers. I used a Denovo 12" flat pack C&Ced box. At present the woofers are driven by inexpensive plate amps from a previous built, hence the wires running through the slot. I modeled the slot in Winisd and according to the modeling should play down to 55 hz. or so. Plenty of bass. Eventually, I will replace the plate amps with a proper crossover and drive them with my higher quality amp.
This build is not much different from what Matevana has laid out. At his suggestion I moved the slot from the bottom to the top of the box, as pictured, to bring the sources of sound closer together.
While still very much in the process of tweaking these speakers, they sound amazing. There was a fair amount of work to be done to modify the boxes but being C&Ced they glued together very nicely.
While I am not a bad fabricator, design and principles of speaker design are way beyond me. I so much appreciate Matevana's knowledge and willingness to share.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #42 on: 27 Feb 2024, 05:56 am »
@sjhomey,

Very cool. Very much my style.
I like how you used the bolt on bar/towel rack to hold the upper portion.
And the sub mod, again very cool.

Wayne in Oregon