What would it take to get you to upgrade from your factory car stereo?

medium jim

Without a doubt, factory car stereo systems have got pretty good in many vehicles over the years. With that, what would it take to get you to take your system to the next level?

Thanks,
Jim

HsvHeelFan

Able to easily replace the head unit.  I've got a 2010 Ford Fusion with the Sony system and MySync and built in Navigation.

About the only thing I can really do is add amps to the existing system and upgrade speakers. 

I suspect that wouldn't be much of an improvement without swapping out the head unit as well.

HsvHeelFan

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Never again. I upgraded my car's stereo in my last car. a new 1999 Contour SVT.
I installed upgraded speakers, an amp inthe trunk, a head unit, and a Cd changer underthe pass seat.
I liked it for a little while. but all in all it was not worth the bother.
Then my passenger widow was smashed to grab a leather jacket. At the time I pulled the head unit out. and never bothered to put it back in. I just liked to drive hearing the car sounds, while I drove like a maniac... for years...
I would never do it again. (put in an aftermarket, and drive like a maniac)
I am an audiophile with a home stereo worth more  than my new 2012 car.. but the car music can suck.. I often drive without it on.

mcgsxr

Similar story here.  I have a 2009 Fusion with Sync, so I won't give up the phone integration and steering wheel controls for audio purposes.

I am aware that there are aftermarket setups and kits that mimic the stock integration, but way too much $ for me.

The only thing in the Fusion I would change is the woofers in the trunk.  They are free air 6x9 subs.  There are very very few drop in replacements, and I won't give up the trunk space for a box of any size.

Too many golf bags in the summer with the clients I take out!

medium jim

My Cadillac has steering wheel controls and the guy who did the install was able to wire up the ones I wanted to keep/use.

I agree that in many new cars it isn't practical to remove the head unit do to all of the cool features.  Nevertheless, in most instances, the speakers are the weak link and upgrading them will really bring out the best of your system.

Elizabeth, sorry about your experiences and am glad that you have a nice home system.

Jim

low.pfile

my next level....

When I bought my 2006 TSX I researched it a lot on the forums. I discovered a pro-installer guy in Portland OR who specialized in TSX upgrades. He had his own packages (entry level) and DLS packages. Either DIY or his installed by him.

In my one month old car, I drove from SF to PDX to visit a friend for the weekend and dropped it off at the installer's the next morning. That night I had a stereo that was 10X better than stock, even though I went from an '8 speaker system' (really 6 + dash tweets) to a 5 speaker system (really a 2 front [with dash tweets] and single sub). I went with a Mid Range DLS Front + Sub speaker/amp system, which I enjoy as it provides dynamic and natural sound. That was years ago. he's off doing something else now. Nice guy to work with. I recall about $1500 total.

I bought the TSX because I throw a bike in my trunk often with the seats down and this install still allowed that.

My upgrades:
Head Unit: Stock Acura 2006 TSX (using an amp bypass)
Amp: DLS Classic CA41 4 channel amplifier (2x70w + 1x200w for subwoofer)
Front Speakers: DLS UP6 2-way component Polypro 6.5" mid + 28mm silk dome (Door/Dash)
Sub: DLS MW110 magnesium 10" driver in custom trunk formed fiberglass enclosure

the pix:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/53/2subfaceview3yy.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/121/3subtopview2zl.jpg
http://imageshack.us/f/121/4subfrrear4es.jpg

the amp is mounted completely out of the way, below the rear deck (in the third picture, that is the area between the yellow pull tabs)

Given the road and car ambient sounds (and focus on driving) I do not expect/desire the level of accuracy that is attainable with home audio. And furthermore, the TSX has its own creaks and squeaks that I am not about to tackle--it'd be easier to buy a new car!

6 years later I know stock car audio systems have improved, but I still think improvements can be had with good planning and gear for moderate coin.

Mr Peabody

First thought to "what would it take" was some one giving me a blank check :)

I know there are some improvements that can be made but there are a couple real hurdles, first already mentioned factory head unit integration, not only steering wheel but navigation, video, and now the view for the back up camera, secondly, some systems already have amplification so depending on how that's done could create issues.

At this point I try to get a factory upgrade system and put my money into my home system.  Maybe some day I will help one of my kids put a system together.  I've had a couple after market systems in past cars.

TONEPUB

It's more about buying a new car...

I'd buy the new Porsche on our cover with Burmester sound

WC

I replaced the factory unit with an aftermarket head unit in my 2006 4-runner. I replaced it mainly for the handsfree phone cabability and the blutooth streaming which the factory unit was missing. The new unit sounds better than the factory unit did. I still have the original speakers in the car.

Quiet Earth

I want a much quieter car first.

And if I did ever upgrade the stereo, it would have to look like it came installed with the car, not look too goofy, and definitely not attract attention from the window.

Wow, I guess my priorities have mellowed with age. I CAN drive 55.  :lol:

rodge827

At the moment I would need the cash!
Damn economy  :x!
My wife has an '01 Accord and I an '06 Odyessy.
Many times over the last few years I've looked into upgrading both cars, but the cost to use ratio is a little high. My wife works about 15mins from home and doesn't feel the need to upgrade since she is only in the car a short period of time. My van is kinda the same thing, I work all over but don't feel the need to spend the money.
However if a few extra bucks could be found we would surely do it. Since my daughter and granddaughter moved 8 hrs away to the Cleveland area. The trips would be much more enjoyable with an upgraded sound system. :green:   

Mr Peabody

There are products like Dynamat that you can put behind speakers and other areas to help with noise.  Of course, if the vehicle is inherently noisy this would help only so much :)

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
I can tell you what it took: buying a car with a wimpy stereo and no bluetooth support. I have an '08 Honda S2000 CR – awesome car, pretty crappy stereo. The worst thing was the inability to use my cell phone without hands – hands free is important with a manual gearbox.

I wish I could provide details for what I put in my car, but I honestly don't remember – and most of it is hidden (maybe, I can find my receipts). The head unit is a Pioneer Premier and the amp and speakers are all JL Audio, including a neat 10” stealth sub which tucks away in my unused spare tire tool well (the CR doesn't come with a spare – I have a pump and a plug kit instead). The amp is where the spare would otherwise go. I wouldn't call it audiophile level, but the car doesn't exactly have a quiet cockpit either – it's a sports car, after all.

The important thing to me is that I can hear it and it actually has halfway decent bass. I don't have to handle my phone in order to use it – just touch a button on the head unit to answer, or to dial via voice command. As long as the top is on the car or I'm not ripping down the highway, I can actually converse without a problem. It also features iPod support, which is what I'm using as a source. It was probably silly to dump $3K into a system for a car like this, but I can't deny that I'm a bit insane.

My previous car was a Cadillac STS, which had an OEM (Delco/Bose) system as well as a very quiet cabin. That sounded terrific, but when my car isn't moving, my current system is better. As with audio in the home, the room is critical. The large, well insulated cabin of the STS provided a great environment for audio enjoyment. The tiny, noisy cockpit of my CR has a completely different purpose  – the enjoyment of spirited driving.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2012, 10:51 pm by kevin360 »

roscoeiii

Having my other stereo stolen. Yup, it has happened twice. And each time I move up one step in car stereo quality.

Eric

The last time I did that was in the early 80's. It is just not worth it to me

cujobob

I'd need to be commuting more than 1.5 hours a day for it to be worthwhile. My stock system doesn't suck, but there are features I could enjoy on a better head unit.

roscoeiii

More disheartening than having my car stereo stolen? Having a wheel stolen. Out walking the dog when I looked over and thought "why is my car leaning like that?"

At least I could upgrade the stereo.

TomS

More disheartening than having my car stereo stolen? Having a wheel stolen. Out walking the dog when I looked over and thought "why is my car leaning like that?"

At least I could upgrade the stereo.
That really WAS a bad week and sorry to hear that  :(

roscoeiii

Oh, these were a while ago. Not part of last week's brutality. Which I hope finally concluded with my espresso machine's handle breaking yesterday.

medium jim

roscoeiii:

Time for a road trip to Las Vegas...by the time you arrive, your luck will have to change!

Jim