Bryston Turntable

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Bryston Turntable
« Reply #360 on: 16 Jun 2018, 12:41 am »
Just got my issue of the Absolute Sound with the Bryston turntable review today (in mail)
Good review.
The whole issue is full of turntables and cartridges! Vinyl is baaack.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #361 on: 20 Jun 2018, 10:54 am »

PDF available -jamestanner@bryston.com

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #362 on: 22 Jun 2018, 10:38 am »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #363 on: 23 Jun 2018, 11:12 am »
HI Folks

I have assembled 13 PDF's of most of the reviews we have received on the Bryston BLP-1 Turntable.

I will send in 2 emails due to size.

Email me if you want a copy jamestanner@bryston.com.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator

Sidstall

« Reply #365 on: 12 Jul 2018, 05:25 am »
Did the removable hinges ever get released, and if so what was the price?

Sid

abuhannibal

« Reply #366 on: 22 Aug 2018, 03:22 pm »
Sidstall, I ordered a set from Gold Note in Italy - http://www.akamaiaudio.it/index.php?id_product=353&controller=product

The Gold Note people are very responsive and their shipping is also fast, maybe 5-6 days to me in New Jersey.  One thing to be aware of is that the removable hinges don't have the mechanism to hold the cover upright, which is of course not going to be a problem if you are removing it for play.   FWIW: I have a few friends with golden-er ears than mine, and so far none of us has heard a difference between cover on and cover off.  So at this point I have elected to leave the stock hinges in place. But as always YMMV. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #367 on: 23 Aug 2018, 04:42 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Golden Ear Award – Bryston BLP-1 Turntable

August 2018

Hi Folks,

Bryston is very pleased to announce that the Bryston BLP-1 Turntable has received a Golden Ear Award in the 2018 issue of the Absolute Sound magazine.

Bryston Turntable and Tonearm

Supplied with record weight, dust cover (three cheers!), and the company's proprietary  BTP-1 outboard pulse-with-modulation power supply, this belt- driven two-speed turntable boasts exceptional speed accuracy and spot- on rendition of pitch, timing, rhythm, and togetherness.

Bass is deep and powerful with remarkable resistance to external disturbances despite its fixed plinth (though it's quite the best compact, lightweight turntable I've ever used).

All up and down the scale the BLP-1 provides a neutral platform of great composure grip, and dynamic range with commendable quiet backgrounds. The tube of the nine-inch gimbal-bearing tonearm is constructed in seven segments of differing diameters the better to deal with unwanted resonances. (Bryston challenges the need for anti-skating but will provide it if requested) 

Offering joy of vinyl at a level of  performance  that gets you to the threshold of the so-called "super" turntables without the fussiness, the need for continual adjustment, and the sheer anxiety that all too often accompanies some esoteric setups.

Bryston just couldn't have made life in the vinyl lane easier or more inviting than with the BLP-1.

abuhannibal

« Reply #368 on: 7 Oct 2018, 12:48 pm »
Decided to try the new hinges... only took 5 min or so to install and they do work well. Haven't really done any critical listening yet, but admittedly, not having the dust cover attached to the table can only help.  Bottom line: if anyone's on the fence about trying these, give 'em a shot...

abuhannibal

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #370 on: 20 Nov 2018, 08:49 pm »

gbaby

« Reply #371 on: 20 Nov 2018, 10:22 pm »
What advantages would silver wiring give to a sound system?   :scratch:

Silver is supposedly a better conduit than both copper and gold. With this in mind, all of my cables, even the speaker cables, are silver cables from Bettercables.com.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #372 on: 20 Nov 2018, 11:17 pm »
Silver is supposedly a better conduit than both copper and gold. With this in mind, all of my cables, even the speaker cables, are silver cables from Bettercables.com.

Measurements of conductivity claim insignificant diffs between copper and silver. What effect would silver wires have on SQ? Assuming everything else in a system stayed the same.

cheers, always looking to learn new things.

abuhannibal

« Reply #373 on: 21 Nov 2018, 06:27 am »
The difference in conductivity is something like 5%, which can easily be compensated for, if desired, by using 5% more copper.  I have owned silver cables and copper cables,  and have never, with any of them, found the old audiophile truism that silver is brighter to be valid.  I do tend to keep my stuff for a very long time, so the fact that silver, when it oxidizes, remains conductive is attractive to me in terms of longevity.  In any event I can say that these are good sounding cables; whether they are good sounding because they are silver instead of copper I can't tell you. To say that, someone would have to compare a silver cable with essentially the same design (perhaps with 5% more copper) in copper.  That would be a fun experiment to do.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #374 on: 21 Nov 2018, 12:06 pm »
Thanks.

cheers

abuhannibal

« Reply #375 on: 21 Nov 2018, 05:04 pm »
FWIW I think Audioquest does this - uses the same basic design but substitutes silver for copper in their higher-end stuff. But the silver ones are  crazy expensive, so I haven't considered them. I do still own some Silver Audio cables that I bought many years ago;  FWIW they sound good to me but I don't like a soft top end, personally.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #376 on: 21 Nov 2018, 11:03 pm »
If I read you correctly, anti-oxidation is the main reason for silver's existence as audiophile wire.

cheers

abuhannibal

« Reply #377 on: 22 Nov 2018, 01:44 pm »
Well, I was just speaking in terms of my own experience. I am sure some would say that it sounds intrinsically different; I am not arguing otherwise, just saying I don't really know.

Christo22

« Reply #378 on: 27 Jan 2019, 01:38 am »
I also have the Bryston TT with their OEM phone cable.
Bryston also offer / sell an upgraded shielded cable...
Have you tried it? Comment and opinion?

abuhannibal

« Reply #379 on: 9 Apr 2019, 01:21 pm »
I wasn't aware that Bryston sells an upgraded cable. I only used the original cable for a day or so before switching it out, but I didn't have any noise or hum issues with it, FWIW.