Pez and Tyson coverage day 2 (10-11-14) -CANCELLED-

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: Pez and Tyson coverage day 2 (10-11-14) -CANCELLED-
« Reply #40 on: 11 Oct 2014, 10:11 pm »
Maybe the next time Tyson decides to venture out into the world, he'll get a flu shot.

Doc

Pez

« Reply #41 on: 11 Oct 2014, 10:30 pm »
But who will inoculate the world against us?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #42 on: 11 Oct 2014, 10:33 pm »
Ok VS fans here are my honest opinions.

I can't help but feel there is a certain brittle crispness to the timbre and balance of these speakers. Almost a supernatural twang to strings that is not to my taste. The system isn't balanced hot per say, it just has a lot of treble energy to it that for me throws the balance out of whack. Bass is pretty impactful and throaty. Imaging and soundstage are decent and certainly up there with some of the other setups I've heard but nothing outstanding. there isn't much warmth or boogie factor here for me. Any way overall there's a certain 'newness' to the sound that I think is appealing to a lot of people. That sort of more real than real sound quality.

Your ears are well tuned Pez!

They did not have enough time to break the speakers in. I don't expect too many folks would pick up on that but you nailed it. They will open up and even out more, but I was told break in is VERY long with these drivers.

jackman

Re: Pez and Tyson coverage day 2 (10-11-14)
« Reply #43 on: 11 Oct 2014, 10:35 pm »
Appreciate the commentary and especially the pics, but without knowing the brands/models of gear your efforts are largely wasted on most of us. 

(Can you imagine Consumer's Report not indicating the particular products they're reviewing?  What would be the point of that?)

This is like reading about double blind tests where you know only some of what's being compared (before and after).

You don't like it, don't read it!  I love it when people speak for everyone.

Your "most of us" does not include me. I really enjoy the contribution Jason and Tyson make every year with their show coverage. Go away if it doesn't do it for you. Maybe there is a discussion on audiophile fuses or cryo room treatments you would prefer.

Tyson, hope you feel better soon. Great job on the abbreviated coverage.

jackman

« Reply #44 on: 11 Oct 2014, 10:48 pm »

They did not have enough time to break the speakers in. I don't expect too many folks would pick up on that but you nailed it. They will open up and even out more, but I was told break in is VERY long with these drivers.

Isn't this the "go-to" excuse for bad sounding speakers?  They need "hundreds of hours" breakin. I don't buy it. If they don't sound good after a few hours, maybe the break-in is happening in the heads of the people who own these.

Pez

« Reply #45 on: 11 Oct 2014, 10:56 pm »

Look into my eyes and send me all your money.  :o :o

harri009

• Industry Participant
« Reply #46 on: 11 Oct 2014, 11:23 pm »
Could you please find out if the VPI prime plinth has a steel plate built in with the mdf? Every table in their scout and up line have a steel plate.  Thanks

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #47 on: 11 Oct 2014, 11:33 pm »
Pez, so if the hater is still dead to the world tomorrow,* and you've caved to go to the VS room, could you be peer pressured into hitting the Salk room?  Specifically, other than wanting both your impressions of the Exoticas because I'm not there to hear them myself, I actually kind of wanted Tyson to check them out specifically for the bass.  I had an ulterior motive with my early post thinking that if he really got in to the sound from the servo 8" subs - that they got him close enough to the sound of the 12's, he would throw Danny at GR about a grand after the show and retrofit OB servos into his existing speakers.  :icon_twisted:

*Seriously, Tyson, do what you've gotta to get better.  I can imagine trying to do an audio show in a dayquil bubble head would be rough.  If I was there, I would have them send some chicken soup up to your room for you.  Hope you can get back in the game later tomorrow.  Good news is that after noon on Sunday is a quieter show and its easier to get prime sweet spot time than on Saturday. :)

vinyl_lady

« Reply #48 on: 11 Oct 2014, 11:56 pm »
Could you please find out if the VPI prime plinth has a steel plate built in with the mdf? Every table in their scout and up line have a steel plate.  Thanks

Yes it does. The prime is in the Daedalus ModWright room and I just confirmed with Matt. A hell of a buy at $3,500 with the 3 D tone arm.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #49 on: 12 Oct 2014, 12:02 am »
I really enjoyed the T W Acoustics room (high water sound 589). Great imaging, coherent sound with a terrific TT with a mono cartridge arm as well as a stereo cartridge arm.

« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2014, 07:05 am by vinyl_lady »

christopher3393

« Reply #50 on: 12 Oct 2014, 12:11 am »
But who will inoculate the world against us?

Handled. No worries. You are now safe for a majority of species.

SET Man

« Reply #51 on: 12 Oct 2014, 12:49 am »
Sorry everyone, Tyson is much worse today. The show  coverage will not be happening as scheduled.

Hey!

Hope Tyson get well soon.... your health come first man. It will be hard to enjoy the show feeling like a zombie on Nyquil anyway.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

dB Cooper

« Reply #52 on: 12 Oct 2014, 02:25 am »
While I appreciate and enjoy Tyson and Pez, I have a novel idea... Maybe some other AC'ers could take a few pics and offer some impressions of what they've heard? There must be a few more of our merry band there?

dB Cooper

« Reply #53 on: 12 Oct 2014, 02:32 am »

Well, I think any exhibitor who shows up at a major audio show with speakers that aren't "ready" is asking for trouble. All it takes is one hoidy-toidy reveiwer from one of the major rags to "pan" you and people who make their decisions based on "reviews" will scatter.

WireNut

« Reply #54 on: 12 Oct 2014, 02:49 am »
I love that strobe. To bad I can't afford one right now. Thanks for the pics guy's  :thumb:.

Pez

« Reply #55 on: 12 Oct 2014, 04:10 am »

brooklyn

« Reply #56 on: 12 Oct 2014, 06:25 am »
Just wanted to know if anyone went into the Magnepan room 505???

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #57 on: 12 Oct 2014, 12:51 pm »
HE LIVES!!!!!

Wine and a live music recharge for the win!  :thumb:

Stercom

« Reply #58 on: 12 Oct 2014, 01:37 pm »
Thank you Tyson and Pez for all the hard work over the years! Went searching this morning and found this link w/ some RMAF 2014 pics and commentary. Just thought I'd share:
https://plus.google.com/communities/107625336931068040032/stream/627d40ca-f952-4faf-a49b-a6596a173f50

ralpheburns

« Reply #59 on: 12 Oct 2014, 01:56 pm »
This is my Saturday show report.  I'm not an audiophile, and am therefore clueless.

I liked the TAD room real well.  I heard a well-behaved, balanced setup and what sounded like realism with a little exciting tingle as if I just stole something from the candy store. 

I didn't like anything else much (visited the Salk room for y'all).  If there was a second place, it'd be the KEF LS50 for value.  Royally FU'ed by not visiting the Vapor room even though we were standing outside of it trying to decide if to continue the drudgery or hit the motorcycle shop sale.  I don't even ride; shows you how big an audiophile I am.  I got to harangue the builder of my pre-amp about a problem, and the one person who I wanted to avoid saw me; so mixed successes.  It didn't seem like the madhouse like last year.  Hope to get my pre-amp modded and to still like my own system.  Peace out.