Is there a better bargain than the $56 Nobsound Passive Preamp?

lacro

Re: Is there a better bargain than the $56 Nobsound Passive Preamp?
« Reply #200 on: 12 Mar 2019, 04:07 pm »
I have been using my DIY shunt type passive preamp with an Alps pot for quite awhile. This is the same design type used in the Lumious Axiom. Just recently I built the HKP passive preamp clone using the DACT type pot from HKP. I am currently doing a comparison swapping the two passives back and forth.

Here's how Lumnious describes theirs:

The AXIOM II passive preamplifier is in a class by itself. This is a fixed series/variable shunt device. In layman's terms this means the audio signal does not actually flow through the volume control. The signal flows through one high quality resistor and the amplifier's inputs are shunted to ground via the AXIOM II'S ALPS potentiometer. The variable shunt technology allows control over the volume without the signal flowing through the actual volume pot that most audiophiles know is the weakest link in most preamp circuits. The degree in which the pot "allows" signal into the amplifier is simply what allows the customer control over his/her volume.[/]

OzarkTom

« Reply #201 on: 12 Mar 2019, 04:29 pm »
I have been using my DIY shunt type passive preamp with an Alps pot for quite awhile. This is the same design type used in the Lumious Axiom. Just recently I built the HKP passive preamp clone using the DACT type pot from HKP. I am currently doing a comparison swapping the two passives back and forth.

Here's how Lumnious describes theirs:

The AXIOM II passive preamplifier is in a class by itself. This is a fixed series/variable shunt device. In layman's terms this means the audio signal does not actually flow through the volume control. The signal flows through one high quality resistor and the amplifier's inputs are shunted to ground via the AXIOM II'S ALPS potentiometer. The variable shunt technology allows control over the volume without the signal flowing through the actual volume pot that most audiophiles know is the weakest link in most preamp circuits. The degree in which the pot "allows" signal into the amplifier is simply what allows the customer control over his/her volume.[/]

:popcorn:

seikosha

« Reply #202 on: 12 Mar 2019, 05:23 pm »
These things are so cheap that if you want to get rid of the channel imbalance situation that some exhibit, just buy a second unit and run them dual mono.  I've done that with my Schiit SYS and not only does it allow me to precisely balance the channels by getting the vocalists really centered, but the dual mono set up opens up the soundstage too.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #203 on: 12 Mar 2019, 06:12 pm »
These things are so cheap that if you want to get rid of the channel imbalance situation that some exhibit, just buy a second unit and run them dual mono.  I've done that with my Schiit SYS and not only does it allow me to precisely balance the channels by getting the vocalists really centered, but the dual mono set up opens up the soundstage too.

I'm thinking of doing just that to try.

drmike

« Reply #204 on: 12 Mar 2019, 07:03 pm »
Hello,
Does the HKP have a websie?
Thanks,
drmike

hifix

« Reply #206 on: 12 Mar 2019, 09:27 pm »
On the remote front... theres something like this.   :lol:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #207 on: 12 Mar 2019, 09:39 pm »
Genius!

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #208 on: 12 Mar 2019, 09:39 pm »
BRILLIANT ^^^^

maplegrovemusic

« Reply #209 on: 12 Mar 2019, 09:40 pm »
Now I will try two nobsounds with that method

maplegrovemusic

OzarkTom

« Reply #212 on: 12 Mar 2019, 10:53 pm »
I wonder how that Creek passive sounds?

maplegrovemusic

« Reply #213 on: 13 Mar 2019, 12:14 am »
I am stepping up and trying a Shirt Freya . Should arrive Monday . Anyone have experience with it ?

JohnR

« Reply #214 on: 13 Mar 2019, 12:18 am »
There's a thread about it here, please go there for this non-C&C non-passive preamp - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149928.0

lacro

« Reply #215 on: 14 Mar 2019, 04:21 pm »
Would someone with the HKP post some photos of the innards?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #216 on: 16 Mar 2019, 06:54 pm »
Would someone with the HKP post some photos of the innards?

I’ll post a pick when I get mine. I just ordered one a few days ago so it might be a while.

charmerci

« Reply #217 on: 18 Mar 2019, 11:47 pm »
Yes.

This is the one I am waiting on.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMD-Dact-type-Stepped-attenuator-Passive-Preamplifier/192132688811?hash=item2cbc002bab:g:FI8AAOxySE9Q50ON:rk:1:pf:1

I just got mine in. Quickly hooked it up cold (still a bit chilly metal). Impressions? In a day or two or three....

Left from Hong Kong only 9 days ago. Impressive.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #218 on: 18 Mar 2019, 11:50 pm »

I just got mine in. Quickly hooked it up cold (still a bit chilly metal). Impressions? In a day or two or three....

Left from Hong Kong only 9 days ago. Impressive.

That didn’t take long! Hope mine gets here just as fast.

What other passives if any have you tried before?

charmerci

« Reply #219 on: 18 Mar 2019, 11:57 pm »
That didn’t long! Hope mine gets here just as fast.

What other passives if any have you tried before?

I live in Utah, so there's that to consider for delivery time.

None. I've generally follow the advice of Frank Van Alstine and he's not really into passives - the possibility of garbage/distortions being dumped into amps, i.e. active pre-amps filter out the "garbage."

Also, forgot to mention. This passive used to have one XLR input and output and a RCA input and output, now it only has 4 RCA inputs and 2 outputs. Plus it's bigger, i.e. much longer than I thought based on the photo.