HagUSB - for ipod/iphone connection

Dexsam

HagUSB - for ipod/iphone connection
« on: 5 Sep 2009, 01:51 pm »
Hi,

I am a very satisfied user of Piccolo and it is the MC step up of choice when playing vinyl.  Now, with the growing use of music servers, I am looking at the HagUSB.  Hooking up to a PC/notebook via USB and playing music through the various media players through the HagUSB and to one's existing DAC seem straight forward.

Before buying one, I would like to know if the HagUSB can connect directly to an ipod/iphone and still output digital to a DAC?  It is assumed that the HagUSB is appropriately powered since we do not want to draw power from the ipod.  I am not sure if the ipod outputs data via USB when playing music (probably not) and is there a way around it without mod to the ipod?  Just thinking something like the Wadia i170 dock.  Maybe Jim can comment?  I think it would be a hit as we can do without a PC.  Thanks

hagtech

• Facilitator
    • http://www.hagtech.com
Re: HagUSB - for ipod/iphone connection
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2009, 06:51 pm »
No, it does not connect to an iPhone or iPod, which are essentially "hard drive" devices in terms of USB classification.  They are slaves, not masters.  You need a master (computer) to tell the HAGUSB what to do.

jh