computer speakers

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
computer speakers
« on: 3 Mar 2017, 10:46 pm »
I told my wife I was building a set of computer speakers  :green:

Audio Nirvana Classic 15 Alnico's in eight cu/ft boxes. Built to AN's box plans but substituted the lamp cord for 16 awg Belden 9497 (not sure if that was a good idea). Very fast, immediate sounding. Bass is tight and deep. Digging it but don't know if it's the end all. What do you guys think of AN drivers? I don't see too much here on AC.

-Dieter

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: computer speakers
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2017, 11:37 pm »
Those look like awesome computer speakers.  :thumb:

persisting1

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2017, 11:45 pm »
Those look like awesome computer speakers.  :thumb:

+1  :thumb:

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2017, 12:20 am »
I told my wife I was building a set of computer speakers  :green:

Audio Nirvana Classic 15 Alnico's in eight cu/ft boxes. Built to AN's box plans but substituted the lamp cord for 16 awg Belden 9497 (not sure if that was a good idea). Very fast, immediate sounding. Bass is tight and deep. Digging it but don't know if it's the end all. What do you guys think of AN drivers? I don't see too much here on AC.

-Dieter

That is the ULTIMATE bait and switch scheme.  I am sure your wife loves the sounds, if the appreciates things like that anyway.  My WIFE hates all my HIFI but heck it.  jajajaja :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2017, 12:28 pm »
Reminds me of my 2001-2005 setup after getting married again and before we moved into the new house.

I had to sit at the desk to listen.   :(

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2017, 01:06 pm »
Well, the gig was up when she saw me cutting the baffle.

JLM, I considered building the Brines boxes with the Tang Band 1808 driver. Looks like a good design but I was concerned if it would fill a 17' x 23' room with sound. The AN's soundstage is similar to that of my Magnepans, which is higher than ear level. The AN drivers also reproduce low frequency with weight and speed. What were your other options when you purchased the Fostex/Brines design?

Thx
Dieter

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2017, 02:34 pm »
Few drivers have ever existed that compete with the Fostex F200A IMO: 30 -20,000 Hz, 90 dB/w/m, 8 ohms, huge AlNiCo magnet, machined aluminum frame.  Perhaps some European exotics (expensive) back in the day might have gotten close.  And I've been a transmission line fan for 40+ years, so commissioning Bob to build the M18-F200 (at his prices) was a no brainer.  Since then I had Bud Purvine EnABL the drivers (he invented the process) and have added, thanks to Duke LeJeune, Late Ceiling Splash tweeters (cheap Dayton Audio units on the floor behind the M18-F200's with a cap added in parallel).  These upgrades improved clarity and high frequency response while expanding the soundstage.

TB didn't exist in 2003, neither did Tekton or Mark Audio.  AN seems to have come a long way, was much taken by the 3 inch driver in a ported cabinet (for true desktop use and even small in-room use maybe adding a sub).  Back then Common Sense Audio sold only Lowther and mainstream Fostex drivers.  Their cabinets were very poorly braced and David Dicks would only audition in his room (where he reportedly hid the use of tone controls).  Tried briefly once to set up a small audiofest with him and others but he wouldn't travel, then he threatened to sue me. 

If I had to build/buy single driver speakers today, it would be a choice between TB, Tekton, Mark Audio, Omega, or E. J. Jordan.  I'd compromise and go smaller, roughly 5 inch, probably sealed, with add multiple sealed subwoofers. 

Bemopti123

« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2017, 02:40 pm »
Late Ceiling Splash tweeters (cheap Dayton Audio units on the floor behind the M18-F200's with a cap added in parallel).  These upgrades improved clarity and high frequency response while expanding the soundstage.

Hi JLM, can you tell me exactly what units you used in order to make this LCS tweeter unit? What cap value etc....  My speakers are pretty much stock like yours, meaning that I could always benefit from what you benefited from.   :thumb: