Linked Events

• AXPONA 2016 - Chicago : 15 Apr 2016 - 17 Apr 2016

AXPONA 2016 April 15-17

Odal3

Re: AXPONA 2016 April 15-17
« Reply #120 on: 20 Apr 2016, 05:08 pm »
As mentioned earlier this was also my first show. While I didn't even get close to hear all of the rooms, my expectations is that every system at the minimum would sound good. Many did sound really good and only a few sounded bad. However, I'm with Folsom on this one . When hearing systems costing that much, I was expecting the system not only sound good but really be in the best I have ever heard category. There were only a few rooms that I had the feeling of wow I never want to leave type of feeling. But again, our preferences are all different so it's great that there are so many options out there for all of us.

Klaus of Odyssey put it nicely, figure out where your preferences fall on the spectrum between analytical/detailed vs emotional. Once you figure that out, just ignore the type you don't like. Wouldn't it be nice if each room had a sign on the door clearly saying what sound they are aiming for?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #121 on: 20 Apr 2016, 05:15 pm »
Guys,

Thanks for your feedback! 

A display of modules would have been really cool. The sound was good so that's not a problem. Perhaps a pairing with some budget speakers would be nice, or maybe switch back and forth between them for fun. Surely people save money by going with the LIO the negates a big amount of other boxes, cords, rack size, etc, etc... so why not show them just how good it can be with some speakers under $10k, maybe even $5k.

Hi Folsom,

In room 336, we were switching between 3 different Harbeth models.  The approx. prices were:

40.2's - $15k
SHL5_plus - $7k
P3ESR - $2100

Speaking of budget speakers - after hours we ran TomS's LIO to the Spatial M3 Turbo open baffle speakers.  $2600.  Really?
I asked Clayton again, and he said yes.  Wow!    BIG sound at a killer price!

Thanks again for listening, and all your suggestions - we'll try to make it better next time!  :thumb:

Vinnie

Folsom

« Reply #122 on: 20 Apr 2016, 05:19 pm »
Oops, I guess I missed the two smaller speakers.

The Spatials are a surprise. I've heard several things like them before but they got it right this time.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #123 on: 20 Apr 2016, 05:29 pm »
duplicate post - sorry

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #124 on: 20 Apr 2016, 05:29 pm »

If Klaus is reading this - sorry I got too tied up in my room and couldn't find yours and say hi.  I love visiting his room for a good listen, and seeing his enthusiasm.  And I save money because his big bear hug saves me a trip to the chiropractor to fix my back - just sayin'  :thumb:

Vinnie

jhm731

dminches

« Reply #126 on: 20 Apr 2016, 06:45 pm »
TAS Show Report:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/steven-stones-2016-axpona-show-report/

Stone and I must have similar ears since I agree with his "best of" selections.

reillyzing

« Reply #127 on: 20 Apr 2016, 07:04 pm »
Folsom, in the Odyssey room, was it the Kismet Liquid speakers, Candela preamp and Khartago monos that you heard? Thanks.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #128 on: 20 Apr 2016, 07:08 pm »
If Klaus is reading this - sorry I got too tied up in my room and couldn't find yours and say hi.  I love visiting his room for a good listen, and seeing his enthusiasm.  And I save money because his big bear hug saves me a trip to the chiropractor to fix my back - just sayin'  :thumb:

Vinnie

Roger that

Folsom

« Reply #129 on: 20 Apr 2016, 07:15 pm »
Folsom, in the Odyssey room, was it the Kismet Liquid speakers, Candela preamp and Khartago monos that you heard? Thanks.

I'd verify with Klaus what was uesd. They had dressed up shiny face-plates so they were not as familiar as the pics on his site.

TomS

« Reply #130 on: 20 Apr 2016, 07:21 pm »
He was using the Kismet speakers, not the Liquids when I was there Friday, as they were unfortunately damaged in transit.

reillyzing

« Reply #131 on: 20 Apr 2016, 07:24 pm »
He was using the Kismet speakers, not the Liquids when I was there Friday, as they were unfortunately damaged in transit.
Oh geez, what a drag to deal with right before a show..Thanks.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #132 on: 20 Apr 2016, 07:25 pm »
Speaking of budget speakers - after hours we ran TomS's LIO to the Spatial M3 Turbo open baffle speakers.  $2600.  Really?
I asked Clayton again, and he said yes.  Wow!    BIG sound at a killer price!
Vinnie
You guys need to team up for a room.   :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #133 on: 20 Apr 2016, 09:47 pm »
How many of you did I walk past?  The more I read this thread the more I wish folks here would post selfies or the registration desk would issue name badges.

Odal3

« Reply #134 on: 21 Apr 2016, 05:01 am »
Promised some pictures:

This is how excited Duke gets when asked to talk about his swarm concept

Klaus practicing blowing thank you kisses for all the awards he will win:

Klaus politely listen to a random question if he thought a competing amp would be a good match with B&W speakers. BTW: Note all the room treatment.

Andrew Jones holding a lecture on building good & cheap speakers. His room almost looked more like a lecture hall with 3 rows of chairs in a small room. It was full most of the time.

Vinnie Rossi showing off his "spinning vinyl on the finger" skills:

Triode Pete doing some stretching to get ready to dance to Uptown Funk. BTW: What are those two things hidden on the bottom shelf?

As you can see, it was a lot of fun at Axpona!

Odal3

« Reply #135 on: 21 Apr 2016, 05:13 am »
MBL - the best looking room (but far from best sounding). I have to admit that the dark room with the light on the radial-strahler and all those massive amps, not to mentioned the sub towers, looked really great. One visitor had a 3-5 year old girl with her to the room. It took about 2 min until the girl was crying and had to leave - likely due to the loud and fatiguing volume. I lasted about 3 min. It sounded OK, but too fatiguing for my ears and I couldn't really hear a good stereo image

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #136 on: 21 Apr 2016, 01:52 pm »
Promised some pictures:

Triode Pete doing some stretching to get ready to dance to Uptown Funk. BTW: What are those two things hidden on the bottom shelf?

As you can see, it was a lot of fun at Axpona!

On the bottom LHS was the LIO external power supply used for heating the 300B cathodes, and Vinnie is also using it to charge the ultracaps in the LIO (replaces the stock power adapter as well).  On the bottom RHS was the CD transport with Vinnie's battery power supply under it... Hence, why I was on knee loading "stretching" to load the CD...

Cheers,
Pete
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2016, 04:33 pm by Triode Pete »

Folsom

« Reply #137 on: 21 Apr 2016, 03:21 pm »
Half a million to make kids cry... Great advertising pitch.

Odal3

« Reply #138 on: 21 Apr 2016, 03:37 pm »
Pete - calling it stretching makes it a much better story 8)
Anyways, It was really nice to meet you. The room was great and I really liked that you threw in all kind of music to give us a good feel for the system. It didn't matter what you played, it still sounded good. Even when you cranked it up loud, still sounded just as good with no fatiguing issue. Lots of emotion in this system. Thank you for a great show! Next time I need to make sure to stay longer.

I really would have liked to hear Vinnie's  setup with the spatials as they tried in the after hours. Consider this my first lobbying attempt to try to get invited to the after party next year  :D

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #139 on: 21 Apr 2016, 03:41 pm »

I really would have liked to hear Vinnie's  setup with the spatials as they tried in the after hours. Consider this my first lobbying attempt to try to get invited to the after party next year  :D

Hi Odal3,

You got it!  I really want to hear those Spatials with the LIO DHT PRE in the mix, and if we're talking next year, there will be
other surprises by then!  :eyebrows:

Thanks again for visiting / listening - and yes, Pete has a nice mix of music to keep it fun as always!

Vinnie