« Reply #40 on: 17 Nov 2018, 10:26 pm »
Deleted by maty.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2018, 04:55 pm by maty »

gab

Re: New Studio Monitor
« Reply #41 on: 17 Nov 2018, 11:24 pm »
Well, with cheap class D, TPA3250:

Build Your Own Professional-Grade Audio Amp on the Sort of Cheap

https://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/audiovideo/build-your-own-professionalgrade-audio-amp-on-the-sort-of-cheap

If it is to enjoy music I have my doubts.

The board mentioned in this article is no longer available (read the comments section)

gab

maty

« Reply #42 on: 18 Nov 2018, 10:56 am »
Deleted by maty.

maty

« Reply #43 on: 18 Nov 2018, 11:25 am »
Deleted by maty.

maty

« Reply #44 on: 18 Nov 2018, 11:35 am »
Deleted by maty.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2018, 04:56 pm by maty »

maty

« Reply #45 on: 18 Nov 2018, 11:49 am »
Deleted by maty.

maty

« Reply #46 on: 19 Nov 2018, 04:56 pm »
I think you would have to sell many to incorporate an amplifier in each box. Better without power for now.

Pasito a pasito or step by step.

If I remember correctly, months ago you commented that you were developing a coaxial speaker. How is the project going? You know, I really LOVE my cheap tweaked -now with more mass over the original furniture- KEF Q100 (less ressonances, much better sound than new).

maty

« Reply #47 on: 22 Nov 2018, 11:00 am »
Deleted by maty.

nickd

« Reply #48 on: 22 Nov 2018, 05:36 pm »
Maty,
Please no offence meant, but you kind of turned a new speaker announcement into a digital amp sales marathon.

Perhaps next time start another thread. I’m a huge fan of good digital amp technology, own and use three very good ones every day. This just might not be the correct thread to discuss them.

Warmest regards,
Nick

maty

« Reply #49 on: 22 Nov 2018, 05:54 pm »
Deleted by maty.

danvprod

« Reply #50 on: 23 Nov 2018, 09:27 pm »
Interested in these in following along with the process here. I like the idea of the open tweeter on top. There are lots of excellent amplifiers that would match well to these monitors.

The Neurochrome Modulus-86 or the new 186/286 are obvious choices. Sounds like the crossover is not too complex being second order.

I'd be curious to compare these to something like JBL 705P or the Genelec 8040s. I think these are two cases where I don't agree with the assertions at the beginning of the thread. The 705s have a lot of good technology and design coming from the M2 lineage and the Genelecs are also well-designed and well spec'd IMO. 705s retail for 2k MSRP USD (powered). Genelecs are ~ 3250k MSRP USD (powered).

A pair of these + the Neurochrome amp would be far less than that and likely on-par when you add a servo sub or two. So that makes the project extra interested. Powered monitors are nice, but passives also have their advantage.

« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2018, 05:58 pm by danvprod »

HT cOz

« Reply #51 on: 25 Nov 2018, 04:08 am »
Yeah maty, if you could just send those recommendations in a PM or e-mail then I'll take a look at them.

Perhaps split the thread and create one that is "Ideas for powering a Studio Monitor"

maty

« Reply #52 on: 26 Nov 2018, 04:58 pm »
I have cleaned the thread of my comments with alternatives for the amplification of these monitors.

BRN

« Reply #53 on: 26 Dec 2018, 10:30 pm »
Any update on the monitor?

2bigears

« Reply #54 on: 26 Dec 2018, 10:50 pm »
 :D yes,,,, I need a pair or two of these !   A Next Year thing ,,,, :popcorn: :thumb:

gaelen5

« Reply #55 on: 27 Dec 2018, 05:29 am »
I am also quite interested in these. I have quite a few friends who are getting into audio and I would like to build a pair of these to demo and loan around.

I was blown away by the X-LS Encores that CaptainHemo lent me. Part of what was so impressive was the huge bass response in a small room, so Danny, can you comment on these new monitors? I see you say they are -3dB at 70Hz. How much gain might there be in a small room? I don't mean to say that you under-rate your products, but the Encores seem to hit way lower than they have any right to. ;)  They're rated at -3db at 55Hz? I played a bass heavy song for my girlfriend, and she thought my subs were on!  :lol:

Danny Richie

« Reply #56 on: 27 Dec 2018, 03:49 pm »
The low end roll off of the sealed box will be more gradual than a ported box. So it may have more perceived output down low than you'd think. And there will be some room gain down low, but how much depends on the room. 

gaelen5

« Reply #57 on: 27 Dec 2018, 06:43 pm »
The low end roll off of the sealed box will be more gradual than a ported box. So it may have more perceived output down low than you'd think. And there will be some room gain down low, but how much depends on the room.

Interesting - I did not know that sealed boxes have a more gradual roll off, but that makes intuitive sense. Adding a port might extend the bass response lower, but the roll off is sharper?

I guess what I really want to know is, will these monitors also do the subwoofer trick?  :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #58 on: 27 Dec 2018, 07:11 pm »
Interesting - I did not know that sealed boxes have a more gradual roll off, but that makes intuitive sense. Adding a port might extend the bass response lower, but the roll off is sharper?

I guess what I really want to know is, will these monitors also do the subwoofer trick?  :D

Yes, the lower end can be extended with a ported design and it will have a steeper roll off. However the air space will increase quite a bit.

I don't know about a sub-woofer trick, but they should blend really easily to our servo subs.

gaelen5

« Reply #59 on: 27 Dec 2018, 07:58 pm »

I don't know about a sub-woofer trick, but they should blend really easily to our servo subs.

Haha, that's cheating because I think the servo subs blend really easily with any speaker!

Perhaps I should consider the 3-way version you discussed that has bottom section with a pair of M165s. Would the bass section work with the M165x?