Audiophiles

Quentin234

Re: Audiophiles
« Reply #60 on: 10 Feb 2023, 09:04 am »
Hi, I'm from France and just discover the "dark side" of this web site ;)
I bought old Scott S17 and I was looking to see if it was better to restore it or use the cab with new stuff and so new crossover.
And by doing my searchs, I discover the wonderfull videos of Danny showing how to upgrade Klipsch RP 600M, which I have ! thanks to google to highlight the crossover search results

I'm using 2 amps: Scott 440A and Cambridge AX A36

lalelala

« Reply #61 on: 27 Feb 2023, 02:07 am »
Hi , I am one old audiophile from Europe/Serbia , temporarily working and living in Texas , DFW area.
Currently I am maintaining two systems: 

Europe: Lampizator Atlantic TRP +   ->   EAR 868L  ->  Pass Labs XA30.8  ->  Marten Parker Trio

USA: Gustard A22(AKM) -> Schiit Freya + -> Parasound A21 -> Ascend Sierra 2EX 

I have wonderful idea to switch from Ascend to KEF R3 loudspeakers and I hope that I will found some help here .

bjornmkv

« Reply #62 on: 28 Aug 2023, 03:50 pm »
There are a lot more things to spend money on now, as compared to the 1970s. That is part of why there was such a huge audio equipment boom in the late 1970s i think, people didn't have computers/ internet/ cellphones/ tablets to spend money on, so they could afford better audio equipment. Plus they had a lot more time, as they weren't streaming/ computing/ writing on forums  8)

My thoughts on the matter in any case.

garano

« Reply #63 on: 25 Sep 2023, 02:43 pm »
Hi i am an Audiophile looking for Herbies Iso-Cups to purchase were can i get them?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #64 on: 25 Sep 2023, 03:37 pm »
The Herbie Circlê was archived.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=160.0

MP62

« Reply #65 on: 25 Oct 2023, 08:20 pm »
Many less than in Hi Fi's hey day!

The DVD was thought to restart interest in audio - but in the end, it is a visual world.  Still, MP3 is out there and CD sales are strong - even though no one makes them anymore!

So, whats the next big thing?

:D

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #66 on: 25 Oct 2023, 10:40 pm »

The DVD was thought to restart interest in audio - but in the end, it is a visual world.  Still, MP3 is out there and CD sales are strong - even though no one makes them anymore!

Iam done with SACD sound quality. Best sound than all the turntables I have heard without wear, clicks and pops, unfortunately the cover are small like CDs.

Phil A

« Reply #67 on: 25 Oct 2023, 10:46 pm »

:D

Hi-Res downloads are available from various sites in the US and elsewhere.  Some may not want to leave physical media behind.

Cadillac Bob

• I’m just love audio and great looking speakers!
« Reply #68 on: 8 Dec 2023, 03:41 am »
Hi all I’m having a bit of trouble navigating the site. But hopefully this will get me going in the right direction. lol I’m new just started tonight 12-7-23 I randomly found this forum while looking for information on some Salk soundstage 8’s (ss8) as I have an opportunity to buy a set of ss8 cabinets but only that the cabinets! So I joined to see what possibly I can find out about acquiring all that’s needed (internals,speakers,grills) to complete a Salk set that never was finished. The Salk audio co. Closed it’s doors earlier this year which is sad to hear about as just one less audio company around but even more sad is that they’re a Michigan based company that I had no idea about until recently and I had lived only a few miles away from their location! So I’ve been doing my best to try and get some lead on components to make them complete. I’ve yet to find any source for a starting point until coming across a thread on ss8’s. So I signed up and joined the forum and I’m excited to see where it takes me! I’m trying to not get too excited on or stuck on the possibilities of what could be as I have my eyes on a few sets but those are all together plug and play speakers vs these needing quite a bit of work. Any and all suggestions I’m open to hear as I hope to get past the newbie level here to start getting down to what possible audio people to chat with and get great advice on what would be best suited for me coming from others who have insight in audio!! Thank you hopefully this makes the cut to be seen! 🍻

karaokeroanoke

• Hi, how are ya?
« Reply #69 on: 18 Dec 2023, 05:27 pm »
As with an influx of information, it's easy to get into being an audiophile with all the guides people make on where to start and which items are safe for new people. I think it's the step after getting into it that's harder, you now have to find your own taste while wading through a ton of products. In some ways it's easier now because of returns being easier then again some people don't like that type of stuff either.

I found it difficult to commit because I don't have a lot of cashflow to risk on stuff i wouldn't like and I know it seems silly but I've never been someone to return an item I didn't enjoy unless it was broken or unusable. So I basically buy something and cross my fingers i don't hate it well after whatever research I've found about it. I should probably stop that, since I did the same thing for fragrances and regretted it too  :lol:

charmerci

« Reply #70 on: 18 Dec 2023, 07:05 pm »
As with an influx of information, it's easy to get into being an audiophile with all the guides people make on where to start and which items are safe for new people. I think it's the step after getting into it that's harder, you now have to find your own taste while wading through a ton of products. In some ways it's easier now because of returns being easier then again some people don't like that type of stuff either.

I found it difficult to commit because I don't have a lot of cashflow to risk on stuff i wouldn't like and I know it seems silly but I've never been someone to return an item I didn't enjoy unless it was broken or unusable. So I basically buy something and cross my fingers i don't hate it well after whatever research I've found about it. I should probably stop that, since I did the same thing for fragrances and regretted it too  :lol:

I've personally found that simply following someone in the industry helps that sounds good. I've been following Audio by Van Alstine for decades as for great "budget" stereo systems. It also helps to list your system here and tell people what you like or don't like about it. "Unfortunately," you may get too many suggestions!

karaokeroanoke

• Hi, how are ya?
« Reply #71 on: 18 Dec 2023, 08:10 pm »

I've personally found that simply following someone in the industry helps that sounds good. I've been following Audio by Van Alstine for decades as for great "budget" stereo systems. It also helps to list your system here and tell people what you like or don't like about it. "Unfortunately," you may get too many suggestions!

That's a great plus lol and I'll definitely post what I got when it's all reached me and I've had time to experience it fully. For now I only got the headphones, a UMC22 audio interface but I switched to an apple dongle, I wasn't actually expecting to get into the hobby fully anytime soon. It just so happened my Deva Pro broke twice and Hifiman offered to trade up to an Edition XS.

People said you don't need much more to enjoy the XS but I decided I might as will start building my stuff so when I decide to buy new headphones I know I'll have most of what I need to enjoy those whatever they may be. I also just impulse bought an HD 58X. Haven't been this excited since I first built my PC  :oops:

ratituded

« Reply #72 on: 26 Dec 2023, 05:48 am »
  Hmmm. Are we just assuming there are fewer audiophiles or is there empirical evidence to suggest audiophiles are going the way of the dinosaur? From what I've seen in my area and on the internet the audiophile market and interest seems pretty active...and not all are dinosaurs yet. The bulk of audio hardware sources moved online and out of sight. Folks have to use more creative means to find one another.
  On the other hand, the middle class is literally going the way of the dinosaur and that's where many people start getting into serious/costly hobbies. The media have changed as well as how younger people choose to listen. It's also a seemingly daunting hobby when first getting involved. Maybe we can petition to get the audiophile question on the next census.

toocool4

« Reply #73 on: 26 Dec 2023, 07:23 pm »
I found it difficult to commit because I don't have a lot of cashflow to risk on stuff i wouldn't like and I know it seems silly but I've never been someone to return an item I didn't enjoy unless it was broken or unusable. So I basically buy something and cross my fingers

If you can, try and do what I do. Don’t buy anything if you can’t listen to it first, I take most kit home to listen to in my own system to really know if it’s gels with the rest of my system / room.
No finger crossing for me, I know before I buy.

Kegman21

« Reply #74 on: 1 Jan 2024, 04:24 am »
Newb here. Getting into more the DIY side of the hobby. Gone through 5 different speakers in a year after an electric fireplace instal made me change out my old on wall Kefs. I’m looking forward to seeing what everyone has to say here.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #75 on: 1 Jan 2024, 02:33 pm »
Kegman21:

Gave up on DIY 40 years ago.  Nowadays I go for minimalistic systems, like active monitors with streamers/preamps.  Quality active monitors that can fill a medium sized room or be used on a desktop can be had for $300-400/pair and a streamer (plus monthly service fee) can replace millions of albums and/or CD's.  Technology is advancing too quickly for DIYer's to keep up with. 

My system consists of Buchardt A500SE active monitors with a Primare SC15 Mk2 streamer/preamp/room EQ/WISA connection to the Buchardts (which have low voltage crossover capable of using "Master Tunings", DAC's, (4) 150 watt mono-blocks, and very high end mid/woofers). 

snaimpally

« Reply #76 on: 1 Jan 2024, 03:10 pm »
Is it me or is there getting to be less and less audiophiles ??  Seems like everyone back in the 1970s through the late 80s in my family and most friends had some type of 2 channel stereo system.  Most families just buy a cheap off-the-shelf home theater and rarely listen to music anymore.

The decline started with lossy (mp3) audio and the ability to carry it around on a portable device (ipod and later iphone). People posting copyrighted material on YouTube (YT) has also contributed - people will often play music off of YT.

Phil A

« Reply #77 on: 1 Jan 2024, 04:22 pm »
Hi all I’m having a bit of trouble navigating the site. But hopefully this will get me going in the right direction. lol I’m new just started tonight 12-7-23 I randomly found this forum while looking for information on some Salk soundstage 8’s (ss8) as I have an opportunity to buy a set of ss8 cabinets but only that the cabinets! So I joined to see what possibly I can find out about acquiring all that’s needed (internals,speakers,grills) to complete a Salk set that never was finished. The Salk audio co. Closed it’s doors earlier this year which is sad to hear about as just one less audio company around but even more sad is that they’re a Michigan based company that I had no idea about until recently and I had lived only a few miles away from their location! So I’ve been doing my best to try and get some lead on components to make them complete. I’ve yet to find any source for a starting point until coming across a thread on ss8’s. So I signed up and joined the forum and I’m excited to see where it takes me! I’m trying to not get too excited on or stuck on the possibilities of what could be as I have my eyes on a few sets but those are all together plug and play speakers vs these needing quite a bit of work. Any and all suggestions I’m open to hear as I hope to get past the newbie level here to start getting down to what possible audio people to chat with and get great advice on what would be best suited for me coming from others who have insight in audio!! Thank you hopefully this makes the cut to be seen! 🍻

There's info at the Salk site -  https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=SS%208

and the Salk circle is still around to pose questions  and sites like Madisound (e.g. https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_str=accuton) may carry many of the components needed

clm811

• Just listen.
« Reply #78 on: 11 Feb 2024, 02:11 pm »
Hi
I'm Chuck from San Francisco
and I am an audiophile (audioholic).
I've been listening intently since 1973 when I received an old Dynaco set with tubes and A25 speakers, as well as an AR turntable.
Components have come and gone over the years, and I even discovered boutique wires and cables, but I find the sound quality of the gear has only improved slightly since my original system.
What has improved the most has been my setup(especially speakers) technique and listening style, which involves maintaining a quiet environment with good acoustic treatment on the walls.
I wish you all the best in music listing, and hope you find even a bit of the pleasure I've gotten over the past 50+years.
Ciao

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #79 on: 13 Feb 2024, 12:47 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Chuck   :thumb: