Omega Compact Hemptone first impressions.

CJ Paul

« on: 23 Feb 2006, 05:49 pm »
Well, I've had the Hemptones for about a week now.  I've made some changes during that week and things are just now falling into place.  I had an acquaintance of mine send me a chip amp (gainclone type of thing, I don't know many details on the actual design) to play with as well, so that is in the system right now with my Arcam integrated running as a pre-amp only.

I have the Omegas crossed over at 80hz to my infinite baffle subwoofer.  I originally was hearing a gap as if the speakers were not blending well with the subs and so I ran the speakers full range for a while with the sub crossed over low and filling in the bottom end.  After some discussions on another forum, I decided I need to recalibrate the stereo and not rely on setting the sub level by ear.  So I calibrated the level of the subs relative to the mains with an SPL meter, crossing over the speakers at 80hz again.  I was way off on the sub level and with it set right, things really snapped into place.

I would guess there are probably about 30 hours on the Omegas at this point so they are definitely still breaking in, but since I got the stereo recalibrated, things are really clicking now.  The sound I'm hearing is VERY emotional and full of energy.  On melancholy tunes, like the new James Blunt CD the system is very emotionally involving and on more energetic tunes like Jason Mraz and Dave Matthews, they demand that you get up and groove to the tunes.

I can only imagine how things are going to improve as I continue to tweak things like speaker placement and toe-in, add some room treatments, and the speakers continue to break in, but even right now, this is the most emotional system I've ever owned.

chadh

« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2006, 06:37 pm »
These are the compact hemptones?  I get so confused...does that mean these speakers are the Super 3Rs with the 4.5" hemp driver in place of the fostex one?

Chad

CJ Paul

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2006, 06:43 pm »
No, they're probably what most people know as just the Hemptones, but when I ordered, Louis did inform me that there is a Compact and a Grande (I think those are the terms) version.  The difference is in the cabinet size (which effects extension) not in the driver size.

chadh

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2006, 06:45 pm »
Thanks.  So this is an 8" single driver?

Chad

CJ Paul

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2006, 06:48 pm »
Quote from: chadh
Thanks.  So this is an 8" single driver?

Chad
 Yes.

chadh

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2006, 06:49 pm »
It's okay. Sorry.  It's on the webpage: http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/hemptone%20compact%208.htm

I was probably imagining things, but I thought this was simply the "hemptone" before.  I guess the "super hemptone" is the one with the larger cabinet.

So many designs...so many drivers...so few brains cells left...

Chad

chadh

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2006, 06:52 pm »
Anyway, as I use gainclone-ish amps myself, (Channel Islands VMB1s), I'd be extremely interested to know how these sound with that chip amp you're using.

Thanks.

Chad

CJ Paul

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2006, 06:53 pm »
Quote from: chadh
Anyway, as I use gainclone-ish amps myself, (Channel Islands VMB1s), I'd be extremely interested to know how these sound with that chip amp you're using.

Thanks.

Chad

Well, so far so good, but I won't really know until I spend some more time with the amp and then compare it to the sound from the Arcam's internal amps.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2006, 07:03 pm »
CJ Paul....Congrats on your new Omega's, their nice speakers. 8)
    If you can try a tubed preamp with your gainclone amp, I think it would work out quite nicely. Happy listening !! :wink: [/list:u]
      Chris[/list:u]

Louis O

« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2006, 02:19 am »
Hi CJPaul,

Many thanks for posting about the Compact hemps. It’s great to hear you got the subwoofer dialed in and I know this can take a lot of time and effort. They way you set it up is the way I would do it myself. The hemp driver is a little weird when it comes to break in. They are like a roller coaster and during the break in there are ups and downs. After 200 hours they really settle in. I set them up about 2 to 3 feet from the back wall and slight toe in. This sounds great in my room.

Op amp based amps work great with the speakers and I have the Audiozone and the Big Joe. I liked the sound a lot and my Lotus has over 1500 hours and is very smooth. lonewolfny42 is right on about the tube pre. I have a T99 and it sound great with the amps.

Many thanks,
Louis

Hi Chad,

Sorry for the confusion and the Compact Hemps are my first hemp speaker. They use the 8” full range hempcone. They are sized a little bit larger than the Grande 8s. The Superhemp is the larger version with the wide baffle. A picture of the Superhemp is on my news page.

Super 3s have the 4.5” Fostex. Super 3 XRS is the floorstanding version of the Super 3.

Hi Chris,

I have something for you and will be sending it out on Monday.
Thanks again for all the CDs. You have the best music.

Talk to you soon,
Louis

Col_Zimka

« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2006, 02:27 pm »
I'm thrilled to see the latest pics/speakers from Louis.  I'd check this Forum twice a day hoping to see what Louis has dreamed and made a reality.  Although my Grande 6s sound great (20" Skylan stands), I'm sure its time to step into one of these latest offerings.  I can't decide which way to turn, small room listening being the limiting factor ( 10 x 11.5 ).  Driven by a Bottlehead FP3 pre-amp, Ideal Innovations Stereo 30 amp and CD only.  Mostly a jazz, chill, and blues listener.  (OK, with a healthy dose of Mark Knopfler and Boz Scaggs)  Always looking for new music, I'd be interested in what music Chris / lonewolfny42 listens to.  If there's another thread for this let me know.

My Grande 6s are in the Parisian Red Maple - love that finish, my god.  I see several new veneer shots with the white/cream or black color coming through on the edges. Is this how all the finishes are now or only on certain veneers?  From the photos, I think I like it better without the colored edges, but it might look better in person.  Of course, its really mainly about the sound.

As always, great job Louis!  Can't wait to see the whole product line as it unfolds.