Gonna taste Magnepan appetizer (LRS). Which flavor?

SnowPuppy77

Re: Gonna taste Magnepan appetizer (LRS). Which flavor?
« Reply #80 on: 2 Feb 2020, 09:49 pm »
Coming up on the first month with the LRS....I’m still amazed these things were only $650!  :thumb:

Just read this whole thread due to my curiosity about the Magnepan LRS.  I have a pair on order in black with dark cherry trim.  It is for my 2nd system.  Primarily expected use is acoustic chamber music.  Appreciate all the comments on this thread.

Saturn94

« Reply #81 on: 2 Feb 2020, 10:04 pm »
Just read this whole thread due to my curiosity about the Magnepan LRS.  I have a pair on order in black with dark cherry trim.  It is for my 2nd system.  Primarily expected use is acoustic chamber music.  Appreciate all the comments on this thread.

I’m still greatly enjoying mine. :thumb:

I think you’ll love them with acoustic chamber music. :D

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #82 on: 2 Feb 2020, 10:23 pm »
I’m still greatly enjoying mine. :thumb:

I think you’ll love them with acoustic chamber music. :D

Glad you are still enjoying them.  Even more specifically will mostly play classical guitar, lute, Renaissance, and Baroque but also little classical and romantic from time to time.  If they are good with progressive rock and orchestra that will be a good bonus.  Hoping they will take my second system up to the next level.  Do not always have access to my main system since it is in the living room that is part of my master bedroom.

Saturn94

« Reply #83 on: 3 Feb 2020, 03:58 am »
Glad you are still enjoying them.  Even more specifically will mostly play classical guitar, lute, Renaissance, and Baroque but also little classical and romantic from time to time.  If they are good with progressive rock and orchestra that will be a good bonus.  Hoping they will take my second system up to the next level.  Do not always have access to my main system since it is in the living room that is part of my master bedroom.

They excel with the type of music you described.    :thumb:

tomoy

« Reply #84 on: 1 Apr 2021, 08:01 pm »
I wanted to resurrect this thread in appreciation of the advice on resistors.  New house is the first time I’ve NOT had wall-to-wall carpeting.  I did some long wall sound dampening.  Point being, it’s a more “live” room than usual for me.  I’m coming up on 3 months with the LRS’s and love them.

There are some early digital, orchestral recordings that that border on unlistenable.  Back in a carpeted room with my previous MMG’s they were fine.  I put in the factory 1-ohm resistors into the LRS’s and it overkilled everything.  Picked up some Mills resistors in the .22 / .39 / .66 Ohm levels.  Tried the .39 and it made things sweet and beautiful, but I felt it killed the resolution and attack just a little.  .22 set are in right now, and it’s really good.  Now, for a wider range of recordings it is more listenable AND still provide the full resolution, detail, and sense of bite and attack. 

I’ll live with it this way for another month and then consider upgrading those to Dueland... or Pass Audio resistors of similar value.

Thanks again!