What Fresh Hell Is This?

nathanm

Re: What Fresh Hell Is This?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Aug 2011, 02:43 pm »
Okay, so maybe I have no Lou Reed context to draw from, but that singing sounds like bad karaoke to me.  But put this performance in the context of a high school talent show and now you've got something.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #21 on: 25 Aug 2011, 03:17 pm »
There was a song back in the eighties he did that made the rounds on the radio stations called "Take a Walk on the Wild Side", or something similar.

Bob

Mike Nomad

« Reply #22 on: 25 Aug 2011, 04:52 pm »
There was a song back in the eighties he did that made the rounds on the radio stations called "Take a Walk on the Wild Side", or something similar.

Bob

Walk On The Wild Side - 1972.

It was used in a Honda Scooter commercial (in which Lou does a cameo) sometime in the early 80s.

(and)

It was a Top-20 single in 1973.
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2014, 07:26 pm by Mike Nomad »

neekomax

« Reply #23 on: 25 Aug 2011, 05:07 pm »
Nothing wrong with Lou, he's a legend for being a rocker who was true to himself, and could write. I see him around town here and there, actually, sort of a neighbor of mine. He's a cool dude. He's got some great tunes too, my favorite being "Coney Island Daydream".

And like I said before, Metallica was awesome for a good 10 years. 

It's just that, this couldn't possibly work. I'd take Metallica and Fred Flintsone, or Lou Reed with the Archies before this combo.

nathanm

« Reply #24 on: 25 Aug 2011, 05:19 pm »

Bob
Oh yeah, that one.  I felt it was a little racist, because there were times when I wanted to go *do do do dododo do do do dododo do* but I couldn't cause I wasn't a colored girl.  But then Sting offered to let me go *da doo doo doo da da da da* which was acceptable, but not quite the same.

bunnyma357

« Reply #25 on: 25 Aug 2011, 05:53 pm »
Oh yeah, that one.  I felt it was a little racist, because there were times when I wanted to go *do do do dododo do do do dododo do* but I couldn't cause I wasn't a colored girl.  But then Sting offered to let me go *da doo doo doo da da da da* which was acceptable, but not quite the same.

Also includes one of the few direct references to oral sex in top 40 radio of the day.

Lou's never been much of a singer, but is a great rhythm guitarist who surrounds himself with other good musicians  -  Hunter/Wagner, Robert Quine, Fernando Saunders, etc.

Jim C

Rclark

« Reply #26 on: 26 Aug 2011, 12:30 am »
This is an absolute disaster, but then again, I never really listen to Metallica anymore. I own all their albums, and will ocassionally play one, and they're always good, but there is just so much more metal out there now to try, and bands that are a lot more talented as well. I'll never part with my Metallica collection,and, "And Justice For All" stands in my top five metal albums, but I've just sort of moved on long ago.

I checked the links with the Lou Reed and it was ghastly. Why couldn't they have gone with someone cool, say, Lemmy?

I won't be picking up this album.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 26 Aug 2011, 12:37 am »
Yea, I agree. It's a train wreck for sure.
When you say "new metal", you're talking about __________?

There's a metal thread somewhere?

Bob

Rclark

« Reply #28 on: 26 Aug 2011, 01:17 am »
No thread. I think metal is not a very popular subject here. Most audiophiles tend to have money, and people who tend to have money seem to not be very hip to metal. Which is unfortunate because many of the finest musicians on the planet are in metal bands.

That said, I have a huge collection and kinda keep up with what's going on so if you're curious about new stuff just pm me.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 26 Aug 2011, 01:21 am »
Nah, there's an "audiophile metal" thread around here somewhere.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 26 Aug 2011, 01:25 am »
Here's one, but it's not the one I was thinking of.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=85659.0

Rclark

« Reply #31 on: 26 Aug 2011, 01:32 am »
Well that's encouraging  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 26 Aug 2011, 01:37 am »
I give up. I've spent 30+ minutes looking for the thread. Can't find it.  :scratch:

Rclark

« Reply #33 on: 26 Aug 2011, 01:57 am »
let's start a new one.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #34 on: 26 Aug 2011, 03:21 am »

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #35 on: 26 Aug 2011, 01:27 pm »
Both were tossed in the trash to prevent some unlucky individual from picking them up in a used CD bin thinking they found some kind of long forgotten musical gem.

I didn't get so lucky with Metal Machine Music... picked it up for 2 bucks at a Border's Outlet some years ago thinking I like most of Lou's other albums, the early ones in particular, and VU stuff... so how could I go wrong?  Still have it and I guess for two bucks it's worth having around for those times I want to torment the cats and dog or get rid of unwelcome house guests.

But now remastered and available on vinyl, DVD and Blu-Ray in a four-channel mix? Really? I especially like this line of the description at the website:

"I myself bought a Linn to celebrate this great sound and am playing through Wilson Watts and Puppies. Hear as we did on Scott Hull’s Duntechs."

http://www.loureed.com/metalmachinemusic/

Mike Nomad

« Reply #36 on: 26 Aug 2011, 01:48 pm »
But now remastered and available on vinyl, DVD and Blu-Ray in a four-channel mix? Really? I especially like this line of the description at the website:

http://www.loureed.com/metalmachinemusic/

Blu-ray?! I am so there. If only the Whitehouse catalog would get the same treatment...

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #37 on: 10 Sep 2011, 02:23 am »
The story I heard was that Lou didn't like the fans he'd picked up during the Rock 'N' Roll Animal period so he put out Metal Machine Music to get rid of them.
Evidently, years later it became popular with disaffected Japanese youths for some bizarre reason so in an interview he complimented the Japanese for appreciating Metal Machine Music for the masterpiece that it is! 

"The perfect holiday gift for your loved one" says his web site - he's a funny guy.

I just remembered something: I believe that the first pressing of Metal Machine Music was purposely made with a skip at the end of Side 2 so it wouldn't shut off. 
He's a funny guy, all right.

bentconvert