Glides for moving HT2-TL?

Saturn94

Glides for moving HT2-TL?
« on: 9 Sep 2012, 10:04 pm »
I'd like to place some furniture glides under the feet of my HT2-TLs so I can easily move them in and out of the prime position.  I'd like to leave the glides under the speakers all the time so I don't have to keep uninstalling/reinstalling them every time I want to move the speakers.  My floor is berber carpet and padding over concrete.  Also, I don't want to spend alot of $$ on them if possible.

Any suggestions what will work well and look halfway decent?

I found these;

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202531727/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=furniture+glides&storeId=10051#product_description

Would they work well?

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

srb

Re: Glides for moving HT2-TL?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2012, 10:21 pm »
Those would definitely be the most cost effective.  The advantage of something like Herbies Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders is that they would accommodate the spikes already on your speakers, but they would cost a lot more at ~ $15 each ($120/8) versus $10/8 for the Shepherd furniture glides you linked to.

Steve

RileyD

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2012, 12:46 am »
I use SuperSpikes from a company named Soundcare to accomplish exactly what you want on my Songtowers.  Threaded feet match Jim's spreakers.  I bought them from the US importer.  They also show up on ebay.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2012, 12:47 am »
I bought the Herbie's as well recently from a tip here.

They work great, allowing you to move the speakers around with ease.

Haven't a/b them sonically. -  but like the concept

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2012, 12:50 am »
I use SuperSpikes from a company named Soundcare to accomplish exactly what you want on my Songtowers.  Threaded feet match Jim's spreakers.  I bought them from the US importer.  They also show up on ebay.

Don't Jim's loudspeakers already come with cones?  :scratch:

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2012, 01:10 am »
Don't Jim's loudspeakers already come with cones?  :scratch:

(My apololgies for butting in; I know this wasn't directed at me).

Yes, they do. And very nice ones.

In my case I did not go with the standard feet that come with the HT2-TL.  I went with the bullet shaped feet that normally come with the SoundScape 10/12.  I like the look better and am not looking to replace them; just to put something under the feet to make it easy to move them.

I already have some larger furniture glides that work well, but they are too big (4.75" wide) and butt ugly.

Perhaps I'll try the cheap ones first and if they don't work out perhaps splurge and try the Herbies.

BTW, I'm not looking for any sonic improvements, just added convenience.

Keep the great suggestions coming. :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2012, 01:18 am »
(My apololgies for butting in; I know this wasn't directed at me).

Yes, they do. And very nice ones.

In my case I did not go with the standard feet that come with the HT2-TL.  I went with the bullet shaped feet that normally come with the SoundScape 10/12.  I like the look better and am not looking to replace them; just to put something under the feet to make it easy to move them.

I already have some larger furniture glides that work well, but they are too big (4.75" wide) and butt ugly.

Perhaps I'll try the cheap ones first and if they don't work out perhaps splurge and try the Herbies.

BTW, I'm not looking for any sonic improvements, just added convenience.

Keep the great suggestions coming. :thumb:

Don't you think those larger bullet cones will be too big for the pinholes in the Shepherd glides?

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2012, 01:35 am »
Don't you think those larger bullet cones will be too big for the pinholes in the Shepherd glides?

That's a good question.  The holes are there so you can screw them into furniture legs, so I imagine it's more than a pinhole.  But, I've not seen them in person and it's impossible to tell from the website if the bullet cones will sit properly in them.  The bullet feet do come to a fairly small point, so I don' think the hole needs to be but so big.

I'm going to stop by Home Depot tomorrow and check them out in person.  Of course if I get them and they don't work, I can return them (then come up with a plan B  :wink:).

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2012, 01:38 am »
That's a good question.  The holes are there so you can screw them into furniture legs, so I imagine it's more than a pinhole.  But, I've not seen them in person and it's impossible to tell from the website if the bullet cones will sit properly in them.

I'm going to stop by Home Depot tomorrow and check them out in person.  Of course if I get them and they don't work, I can return them (then come up with a plan B  :wink:).

Good luck & happy shopping.  :thumb:

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2012, 03:59 am »
What is the thread for the cones?  Herbies has screw in gliders to replace them in several different thread sizes.

Saturn94

« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2012, 06:00 pm »
What is the thread for the cones?  Herbies has screw in gliders to replace them in several different thread sizes.

I really like the look of the Salk cones/bullets, so don't want to replace them if it can be avoided.

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2012, 08:00 pm »
Just a quick update:

I tried the cheap set (2" version) from Home Depot and they seem to be working OK.  They don't slide quite as well as the large sliders, but good enough for my purpose and they don't look near as bad as the large ones.  The tips of the bullet feet fit fine in the slider's small screw holes so that they don't slide out from under the feet when moving the speaker.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2012, 08:54 pm »
Just a quick update:

I tried the cheap set (2" version) from Home Depot and they seem to be working OK.  They don't slide quite as well as the large sliders, but good enough for my purpose and they don't look near as bad as the large ones.  The tips of the bullet feet fit fine in the slider's small screw holes so that they don't slide out from under the feet when moving the speaker.

Good deal!  At least holding you over if you are considering anything else.  I have hardwood and had two squares of oriental type carpet bound to put under the speakers.  It protects the hardwood from the spikes, and it allows them to slide without too much difficulty.  I'm considering something like the lower profile Herbie's instead of the spikes though as I'd like the tweeter/mid to be lower.  Changing over would probably only give me 2-3" though.  I also like the looks of the spikes, so it would be a shame to lose that.  Maybe I just need to build a 6" platform for the couch!  :?

..........Peter