RM30M Feet

Hipper

RM30M Feet
« on: 15 May 2013, 06:39 pm »
I believe the recommendation for RM30s (most VMPS speakers in fact) is to just sit them on the floor.

Has anyone tried using feet of some sort. If so, what were the results?

Mine sit on carpet - in fact they each sit on a solid wooden block which sits on carpet as I employ John Casler's 'Tallboy' tweak.

rbbert

Re: RM30M Feet
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2013, 06:55 pm »
I have Aurios feet (ball-bearing type) under my RM-40's on a concrete/wood floor.  Noticeably better than spikes or nothing.

Hipper

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2013, 12:33 pm »
Thanks rbbert.

I notice my speakers can rock easily (in both senses in fact but I mean physically!).

Maybe that's a good thing if it stops vibrations interfering with them.

I have some ball bearing type feet so I'll see what they do.

Hipper

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2013, 07:09 pm »
I tried ball bearing type feet (Finite Elemente Cerabase), four under each one.

Firstly I think it increased the possibility of wobbly movement of the speakers on the carpet, but mainly I think it weakened the bass and if anything the sound was a bit looser.

Because of the pair of downward pointing passive woofers, I wonder if that is what I should have been expecting.

I'm also wondering therefore, if something like the Townshend speaker stand, whose principles I like (http://www.townshendaudio.com/hi-fi-home-cinema-vibration-isolation-speaker-platform/) may not be suitable.

I seem to wonder a lot!

rbbert

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2013, 10:21 pm »
IMO if you are on carpet you are pretty much stuck with nothing or spikes.  That said, there are some Wilson XLF owners who swear by the sound of Stillpoints on carpet, but that's a very heavy speaker and very expensive feet.

Cheaper than the Townsend, you could try an Auralex sub platform, offered with a money-back guarantee by Music Direct (and probably other dealers as well)