power conditioners

bunky

power conditioners
« on: 10 Dec 2005, 09:55 pm »
i ordered a brand new in box and please dont cringe at this!  Monster Cable Reference powercenter HTS 3500 MKII with clean power stage 3v.2.0 for $179.94 from Amazon.com including shipping. Monster is offering a $50.00 rebate thru february 6- 06 that will make my grand total a whopping $129.94, these units retail for $500.00 but sell at places like Parts Express for $399.00. does anyone on our little forum have any experience with power conditioner/ surge supressors and what are the benefits or pitfalls of using these types of units?thanks....WCW III

Charles Calkins

power conditioners
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2005, 10:34 pm »
bunky:
  I'm very happy with my Belkin pf40 power conditioners.
 THe other day I left the house early and came home in the afternoon.While I was gone there was a power outage. The clocks on the miceowve and stove were blinking. I reset them and checked the Belkin's Sure enough they shut dowm completly. I had to reset the switches to get power back to the audio gear.I like that feature of them shutting down and I have to reset them. Shows me the Belkin's are doing the protection job as they were designed to do.

Cheers
                       Charlie

pacifico

power conditioners
« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2005, 10:39 pm »
personally, I have a tripplite. I think they make great products. I use it regulate the voltage going to my stereo. I live in a 50 yr old house. It also removes line noise. I like it. I had borrowed a simpler unit from work and toyed around with that. I am ashamed to admit it but I think id produced better mid bass; However, the unit I use now is still a welcome addition. I have never contemplated returning the one I have now for another unit.-ap

JoshK

power conditioners
« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2005, 01:04 am »
Gordy has a Felicia, you should give it a listen.

maxwalrath

power conditioners
« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2005, 05:56 am »
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accspowr&1139462864

some joker is trying to make a profit on them.

if Audiogon wasn't such a rip-off at $6 per ad I'd be tempted to post classified telling people about where to get them on the cheap...but then I'd be promoting Monster and out $6 bucks.

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
power conditioners
« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2005, 12:14 pm »
Good catch Max! Some people should be ashamed.

rosconey

power conditioners
« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2005, 01:18 pm »
i saw that deal for monster ones also,i just cant buy anything monster after all the crap they have been giving any little company with monster in its name.so i bought the pureav pf40(170shipped)

the digital readout is screwed up(shipping it back this week) but other than that i can say i like it-
appears to have helped my hdtv wih the red bleed it had durring live sports on cbs(only cbs :?: )

my cdp also appears to like it as does my tuna-

i am running 2 odyssey extreme monos,tempest pre,hdtv,tuna and cdp so far-not hooking everything up because its going back because of the display for a replacement-

i have noticed zero bad effects added to my system with it installed and percieve a few good ones

DTB300

power conditioners
« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2005, 01:53 pm »
Has anyone heard the APC model?  1.5Kva can be purchased for $220 (list is $399).  12 Outlets, twice the joule rating than most Monster stuff in its price range (normal prices...not the deal going on now), etc. etc.   We used a bunch of APC stuff at work for the computer racks and they just work.  Now APC has these AV units for home.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=H15

Dan

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
power conditioners
« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2005, 02:31 pm »
Dan,

I use the high tech method in determining what power conditioner works.  If it does not way a ton, it's not good for your amps. :mrgreen: 16.7 lb isn't all that heavy.............. :wink: Let me know if you try.  I went by Bruce's place to pick up some tubes and talked to him about power filter.  He's going to let me try a humongous mil spec torroidal filter on my amps.

Gordy

power conditioners
« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2005, 02:55 pm »
I'm using three Felicia's-In-A-Box at this point and am extremely happy with them.  Before that I had been using an upgraded BPT 2.0 Ultra for a couple of years, but it has since flown south to happily live in the warmer climes of Florida!  Other systems I tried were the Audio Magic Stealth, a slew of OneAC isolation transformers and 7 of those little black doohickies that I can't remember the name of... you simple plug them into recepticles at various locations around the house. Balanced power was clearly best in my location!

I'd be more than happy to bring them to a MAAC meet if anybody is interested... they come pretty close to meeting Woodsyi's criteria when combined in a single box but are limited to use with front ends and preamps...

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
power conditioners
« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2005, 04:31 pm »
Quote from: Gordy
I'm using three Felicia's-In-A-Box at this point and am extremely happy with them.  

Do you need a Felicia per output?  I would love to try yours on my source, linestage and x-over.  May be you can trek down here with it?  We can try to get together with the nameless outcast with funky cars who left his speakers and amps here.

Gordy

power conditioners
« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2005, 09:48 pm »
Quote from: woodsyi
Quote from: Gordy
I'm using three Felicia's-In-A-Box at this point and am extremely happy with them.  

Do you need a Felicia per output?  I would love to try yours on my source, linestage and x-over.  May be you can trek down here with it?  We can try to get together with the nameless outcast with funky cars who left his speakers and amps here.

Yes, one component per Felicia provides the max isolation and headroom for power as they are only putting out about 50w each and fused at 1 amp.

I'd love to trek on down!  As far as I know right now, any weekend from mid January is good for me.  One or two weeks notice will suffice.

I was about to beat on He-Who-Is-Not-To-Be-Named's car's hauling capacity, but remembered that I'm borrowing a car myself just to haul Roger/Natureboy, myself, Lonewolf's Felicia and an amp up to the NY Rave tomorrow... won't fit in my car  :lol:

SWG255

The Felicia
« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2005, 01:42 am »
We all heard Gordy's Felicia power supply in Woodsyi's system on Wednesday, and it is easily worth the cost of parts and the time to construct it. used on the preamp and sources in Woodsyi's system, it cleaned up the sound, allowing more detail to be audible, especially at high frequencies. I'm glad gordy came down with the unit, now if only parts for them would become available again!