Mark's "new" Crotch Mahogany HT3's

carusoracer

Re: Mark's "new" Crotch Mahogany HT3's
« Reply #20 on: 23 Aug 2007, 05:06 pm »
 Welcome to the "Crotch Club":rotflmao:  The High Gloss finish looks nice, adds a different look then my pair. Great story with your spouse :dance:

chrismercurio

« Reply #21 on: 24 Aug 2007, 04:04 pm »
Mark,

The story about your wife and her reaction is very cool. I made a dining table out of curly redwood and fiddleback (VERY curly) spanish cedar and gave it to her on our anniversary this year. She just stood looking at it dumbfounded for about ten minutes. She was in awe not just of the inherent beauty, but of the time and love spent making it. So, as I embark on the journey of making my next pair of speakers I am reminded by your amazing WAF story that if I make them beatiful, there will be no (read less) problems.

C

JP78

« Reply #22 on: 25 Aug 2007, 12:00 am »
jim - it looks like there's no baffle at times, but all that gloss makes it so difficult.

jsalk

« Reply #23 on: 25 Aug 2007, 12:44 am »
JP78 -

jim - it looks like there's no baffle at times, but all that gloss makes it so difficult.

I'm not sure, but you may be referring to the lack of a separate solid wood baffle on the midrange and tweeter section.  If so, this is true.  There really is no audible difference between the two approaches.  The original HT3 design had a solid wood baffle on the upper section.  But we got a few requests to do pairs without them and realized that this is a less expensive way to build the cabinet.  Since then, we have had several people prefer the look without this separate baffle and have done quite a few pairs this way.  One additional benefit of doing it this way is that the veneer is the same as the rest of the cabinet and there is no need to search for a good solid wood match.

- Jim

NL20

« Reply #24 on: 25 Aug 2007, 12:41 pm »
Fantastic job Jim!  :thumb:  :drool: :thumb: 

My favorite finish seems to change daily...  :duh: