Tdss upgrade on the evo dac and amp

sresener

Tdss upgrade on the evo dac and amp
« on: 5 Jun 2019, 02:50 am »
I noticed coyote sound has a tdss upgrade options for the evo dac and amplifier. Does anyone know these upgrades are?

rustydoglim

Re: Tdss upgrade on the evo dac and amp
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2019, 07:00 pm »
There are too much information to be discussed in this forum, therefore we have to refer you to https://nuoem.com/forum/nuprime-brand/tdss-upgrades-nuprime-coyote-sound-start-here/

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2019, 08:40 pm »
Wow... I honestly read and skipped for about 8 or 10 minutes and did not find a single piece of concrete information of what the actually change / improve.  Diagnostics, pointing out issues and claiming it's all passive, but no actual info.  Did I look wrong?

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2019, 10:00 pm »
I don't think it is fair to say that.  If you are really interested, then discuss with TSSS in the forum that I set up.
We also have to respect AudioCirlce policy and not create multiple mini forums within NuPrime.
Detail technical discussion, modifications, custom built stuff please take it to nuoem.com
Thanks
Jason

sresener

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2019, 02:31 am »
Thank you Jason Ill ask my questions there.

sresener

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2019, 10:24 pm »
I asked with no response but it seems really odd that it can not be discussed here. Plus there is talk on tdss upgrades all over audiocircle.

If I was a betting man I would think its a simple power cable and fuse upgrade. (for the evolution line)

rustydoglim

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2019, 04:19 am »
Bob doesn't check the forum every day, he will respond there.

seagreen

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2019, 07:42 pm »
I have a TDSS-modified ST-10 and opened it up to take a look. Every point-to-point wire inside has been wrapped in shielding and grounded. Also, the wires from the amp modules to the outputs have been replaced with some kind of ribbon cable (and shielded like everything else). My unit also had a fancy beeswax fuse installed, but I'm pretty sure that was done by the previous owner, not Bob. In any case, the impact of a power line fuse on SQ is debatable at best and the beeswax in my fuse had melted and ran out of the fuse (!), so I replaced it with a standard fuse. The power cable that came with my unit is stock.

I bought the ST-10 used and already modded, so I can't comment on the impact of these mods on the impact on sound quality, but I can say that the unit sounds amazingly good 'twixt a Schiit Freya and pair of Wilson Sabrinas.

Mike6743

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2019, 06:32 pm »
I can comment on a replacement fuse affect. I had the TDDS mod on the IDA-8 and then later ST10, and in both units a Synergistic Research Blue fuse made a dramatic improvement over the stock fuse. Lower noise floor, increased low level details, and better dynamics.

jonbee

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jul 2019, 01:39 am »
I have a TDSS-modified ST-10 and opened it up to take a look. Every point-to-point wire inside has been wrapped in shielding and grounded. Also, the wires from the amp modules to the outputs have been replaced with some kind of ribbon cable (and shielded like everything else).
I think this sums it up. Vibration/rfi suppression is the key. I've had 3 components modded, and I consider it  a bargain for the results at the price. I'm considering doing my ida8 next. I've not read any complaints.

oskar

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jul 2019, 02:32 pm »
Hi all. Not an EVO question. I have an IDA-16 that I think is great. When I first got it I looked at the TDSS mod for the unit and it was $1000. Too much for me. Lately I looked again and the mod was $400.
So my question is: how come? There must be a difference in the work done or the $1k price was a misprint.
Any info? Thanks

Tom419

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jul 2019, 06:43 pm »
oskar   I would contact Bob Smith at Coyote Sound as he does the mods on the IDA 16 and others. 

Genez

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2019, 05:10 pm »
I have a TDSS-modified ST-10 and opened it up to take a look. Every point-to-point wire inside has been wrapped in shielding and grounded. Also, the wires from the amp modules to the outputs have been replaced with some kind of ribbon cable (and shielded like everything else). My unit also had a fancy beeswax fuse installed, but I'm pretty sure that was done by the previous owner, not Bob. In any case, the impact of a power line fuse on SQ is debatable at best and the beeswax in my fuse had melted and ran out of the fuse (!), so I replaced it with a standard fuse. The power cable that came with my unit is stock.

I bought the ST-10 used and already modded, so I can't comment on the impact of these mods on the impact on sound quality, but I can say that the unit sounds amazingly good 'twixt a Schiit Freya and pair of Wilson Sabrinas.

TDSS does not change the fuse.  That was done by the previous owner.   And, yes.. the right fuse will improve the sound even more.  I have the ST 10 TDSS modded. I use a Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuse.  I have experimented with a few power cords.  One cord will sound better with one piece of equipment, but not so much another. 

One cord I found that is relatively inexpensive and good with my ST 10 is a very good quality Pangea 14 AC SE.  Its made with Cardas copper.  An equivalent Cardas power cord would cost a lot more.   I use the Pangea cord my ST10 and audiophile computer.   I find another brand cord works better with my preamp and DAC.    Such it is. 

Its just something to test and try. I discovered that an audiophile cord may not synchronize the same with all components. One cord will work well with one piece of equipment and not so much with another.  In the mean time.  The Pangea goes for a fraction of what the typical "audiophile" power cords normally sell for. 

A very good power cord I find works well with my ST 10 -  https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGAC14S2

Some will think its crazy,  but more than once I have seen recommended to use a cord around 6 feet long.  One designer engineer experimented with lengths and told me it just works best at having at least that length.  Short power cords not as well.