Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.

Jmitchell3

Re: Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.
« Reply #40 on: 2 Mar 2020, 04:26 pm »
Thanks guys! That does look a little better Maty. I'm using my phone for the photos and editing. I will take some better pics with my DSLR after they are finished. Plus it's dark in my room early this morning.

What type of stands are those? I like them too!

Sonicjoy

« Reply #41 on: 2 Mar 2020, 04:55 pm »
Those stands are Elac brand for their Adante stand mount speakers. I like the fact that they did not put their name on them so they look better with other brands of speakers. They are 23 1/2" high which puts the tweeters at 38" off the floor and can be filled with sand. (if you plug the wire holes). They have nice looking smoked chrome adjustable spikes as well. I got them from Music Direct for $240. They were an open box clearance special. Regular $300. $600. list, but don't pay that for them.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #42 on: 2 Mar 2020, 05:10 pm »
Getting close to being done now - very exciting.  I'm really interested to get your impressions of them once they are up and running.  As I think back on all the speakers I demo'd at Danny's, in some ways I think it's the most impressive of the lot, because he gets such clean, clear, and big OB sound out of such small speakers that are half enclosed. 

I will say this - that OB tweeter in the deep waveguide is something else.  It was very surprising to me that Danny was able to create a midrange driver that keeps up with it.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #43 on: 2 Mar 2020, 05:19 pm »
Don't forget to install the included black yarn in the Neo3 Tweeters:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152039.msg1626035#msg1626035

They look great, good job and thanks for sharing. Also looking forward to your impression when they're up and running.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #44 on: 2 Mar 2020, 05:22 pm »
Wow, those turned out really nice!  I wasn't sure at first about an all black front baffle with cherry sides but those just look incredible, well done!

Sonicjoy

« Reply #45 on: 2 Mar 2020, 05:29 pm »
Ya it won't be long now. I am getting very excited to hear them! Tyson you keep stoking that fire HaHa! It's hard enough to wait as it is! I will let you all know what I think.

DeeJay I have not forgotten the yarn. Just wanted to get a visual so stuck the drivers in to get a quick look and get some photos to show you.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #46 on: 2 Mar 2020, 05:36 pm »
They do look very nice! Is there enough room through that woofer hole to mount the crossover?!? with my chubby hands not sure...haha.
Yes you just have to make sure that the crossover board is narrower than the opening. There is enough room for one hand to work inside. Now I understand why Danny designed the divider brace the way he did. So there is room to work in there.

Just be sure to pre-drill the screw mounting holes in the crossover board ahead of time. That will make installing it in the box easier.

AlexH

« Reply #47 on: 2 Mar 2020, 05:40 pm »
AHHHH always nice when a plan comes together well. Nice work :thumb:

Sonicjoy

« Reply #48 on: 2 Mar 2020, 05:44 pm »
Thanks Alex! Yes it is.

WarmColors

« Reply #49 on: 3 Mar 2020, 01:47 am »
So these monitors out compete the Klipsch Forte 3s.
In sound?
Image?
Clarity?
Higher quality components?

What else am I missing?

If I buy them I won't regret buying the monitors rather than the Fortes?

Sonicjoy

« Reply #50 on: 3 Mar 2020, 02:12 am »
Well I have not heard either yet but just looking at the designs yes the NX Studio is built much better. They are very heavy and solid well braced cabinets. I'm also sure that they should image a lot better, but they won't have near the low end output of the Forte 3's. The Klipsch are also more sensitive. The bottom line however is that these are very different loudspeakers designed for different purposes.

WarmColors

« Reply #51 on: 3 Mar 2020, 02:20 am »
Should I use mdf ranger (lighter) or actual mdf the heavier version?

WarmColors

« Reply #52 on: 3 Mar 2020, 04:35 am »
Well I have not heard either yet but just looking at the designs yes the NX Studio is built much better. They are very heavy and solid well braced cabinets. I'm also sure that they should image a lot better, but they won't have near the low end output of the Forte 3's. The Klipsch are also more sensitive. The bottom line however is that these are very different loudspeakers designed for different purposes.

I am very excited to call Danny and place my order. Did you use the heavier MDF or the lighter MDF?

Sonicjoy

« Reply #53 on: 3 Mar 2020, 01:43 pm »
I used Glacier Green MDF by Plumb Creek Lumber. (owned by Weyerhaeuser) It's a lighter weight MDF. It's very high quality made in USA formaldehyde free. I'm sure either is fine just use a good quality MDF. I just weighed one and the box with only Norez installed is 25 lbs. Will be close to 30 with drivers and crossovers.

Tyson

« Reply #54 on: 3 Mar 2020, 06:33 pm »
So these monitors out compete the Klipsch Forte 3s.
In sound?
Image?
Clarity?
Higher quality components?

What else am I missing?

If I buy them I won't regret buying the monitors rather than the Fortes?

I've heard both.  I heard the NX-Studio over a several day visit to Danny's.  And I own the Klipsch Forte III.  So a pretty good point of reference.  IME the NX-Studio is better than the Klipsch Forte III in every area except sensitivity and bass extension/power.  The NX-Studio Monitor just doesn't go as low as the Forte.  However the bass that the NX-Studio DOES have is definitely cleaner and clearer.  To get them to be full range, the NX-Studios need a good sub or 2.  The other area the Forte's are better is sensitivity.  If you plan to use amps with less than 10 watts, the Forte is probably a better choice.  I'd say 25 watts is the minimum you want to give the NX-Studios. 

The Forte's are a good, fun speaker for the money, no doubt.  But on an absolute scale, they just aren't in the same class as the NX-Studio (plus sub). 

sonicjoy, sorry for the slight thread hijack...

Sonicjoy

« Reply #55 on: 4 Mar 2020, 12:18 am »
No worries Tyson. That's right I forgot that you have the Forte 3's. You would be the one to answer that question best.

petemoss

« Reply #56 on: 4 Mar 2020, 04:02 am »
looking at the first photo of the front ..that came with the kit it looked like it was already wood grained..ie veneered?   is that true?

Sonicjoy

« Reply #57 on: 4 Mar 2020, 05:46 am »
Yes it did come with veneer. Danny got a good deal on a bunch of MDF that had veneer on it. You can buy it that way. But you probably can't bet on them all coming that way from Danny. Once his supply of that runs out. I'm not sure what kind of wood it is. Looks like cherry or maybe alder. He wasn't even sure what it was.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #58 on: 9 Mar 2020, 02:15 pm »
Hi kids!

Back with more progress. Had a productive weekend and got these almost completely finished. All that's left is to finish the grills.

They are now up and running with about eight hours on them. I fully intended to post all the latest info and photos this morning but I could not tear myself away from listening to them. I will try to get the thread updated on the crossover and wiring details tonight.

And just to not keep you all waiting with the question of how do they sound?
All I will say at this point is that anyone wondering if these are as good as claimed. YES!   :D :D :D

« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2020, 08:03 pm by Sonicjoy »

Tyson

« Reply #59 on: 9 Mar 2020, 05:26 pm »
Just think - they aren’t even burned in yet! 

I know when I heard them that I was astonished how much OB magic Danny was able to bestow on this design.  And that midrange driver!  Just incredible.  IME this is definitely one of the very best speakers in the world.