The Megaliths open baffle line array speakers

JohnR

Re: The Megaliths open baffle line array speakers
« Reply #140 on: 11 Jul 2016, 10:04 am »
FWIW I reckon the electrostatic tweeter idea sounds pretty good (so to speak).

HAL

« Reply #141 on: 11 Jul 2016, 10:08 am »
It would work, but the power handling of the GT Audioworks ribbons is much higher than the electrostatics I have seen.  They are copper backed kapton.  They sound excellent and you can't kill them and we tried at CAF2016. 

JohnR

« Reply #142 on: 11 Jul 2016, 10:13 am »
Sorry Rich, I think I missed a step somewhere... I should have said that a tall tweeter (stacked, with shading etc) with good dispersion sounds like a real win  :thumb: I just assumed it was electrostatic, my bad.

HAL

« Reply #143 on: 11 Jul 2016, 10:28 am »
No problem. 

These have a lot of similarities to the Maggy true ribbon, but segmented for my ideas.  Also almost purely resistive so much easier to direct drive and no transformers. 

HAL

« Reply #144 on: 17 Jul 2016, 06:54 pm »
Hopefully work on the 8-20" ribbon tweeters begins next week.  Will post progress as I get it.

KLH007

« Reply #145 on: 17 Jul 2016, 09:55 pm »
Ribbons from GTAW?

HAL

« Reply #146 on: 17 Jul 2016, 10:02 pm »
Yes.  Greg is building them.

HAL

« Reply #147 on: 21 Jul 2016, 07:28 pm »
The work on the 8 - 20" ribbons has started as of today.

About 3 weeks total for metal work completion and construction for the units.

If things go well, these will be a compression fit between the two 1"x2"x 87" slot sides. 

HAL

« Reply #148 on: 25 Jul 2016, 12:51 pm »
The TWL HAL power cords for the ribbon tweeter amps arrive today.   That should be the final batch needed to power up this system.   

The materials are on order for the ribbon tweeters and go to machining this week. 

Eight pairs of Superior Electric 30 Amp 5-way binding posts are with the materials for the build.  Will work well with the Belden 1309a 14awg speaker cables.  The polyolefin insulation is very easy to work with.

The heatsinks from sandbagger are here for the tweeter amp module build.  Have an idea for the chassis(s) for them.   

HAL

« Reply #149 on: 2 Aug 2016, 02:18 pm »
The BlunderBUSS is progressing and getting closer.  Guts are finished and chassis is in work.

The magnet material is in for the 8 - 20" ribbons and pole pieces are getting built.  Then on to assembly, testing and shipping.

Finishing the last four amp modules installs on the heatsinks and on to testing them. 

HAL

« Reply #150 on: 17 Aug 2016, 07:10 pm »
Metal work for the 8 - 20" ribbon tweeter arrays are complete. Magnets are cut.  Assembly begins today.

Hopefully on track for the end of August to start installing them in The Megaliths!

Software for the dspMusik RevD is in testing phase for one part and another part to be completed by the end of the week. 

JohnR

« Reply #151 on: 18 Aug 2016, 02:22 pm »
inches... 80 * 2.54 =  2 meters! Do you have a picture of any of the modules? Any time its convenient.

HAL

« Reply #152 on: 18 Aug 2016, 02:25 pm »
The first 8 ribbons to be built this size are happening now. 

Will post pictures once I have them to install about the end of the month.

HAL

« Reply #153 on: 18 Aug 2016, 05:02 pm »
Here is a picture from GT Audio Works of the prototype dipole ribbon tweeter line array. 

Greg had said he would not mind making them for folks interested.  They can just contact him through his website.

KLH007

« Reply #154 on: 18 Aug 2016, 06:51 pm »
Greg's ribbon tweeters in my GTA 2.5s are only 48" long, puny in comparison, but they sure make cymbal crashes sound real and alive. I know Rich can't wait, and Greg is making them as fast as possible, soon Rich, soon. LOL

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #155 on: 18 Aug 2016, 06:55 pm »
This is definitely exciting.  Can't wait for the measurements and your listening impressions. 

HAL

« Reply #156 on: 18 Aug 2016, 07:05 pm »
These are a bit different as they are 20" long ribbons instead of the larger ones he normally uses.  I need that for the multiamp setup and beamformer feeds. 

I know Greg is going as fast as he can.  After 6+ years of work, what is another month. 

Long pole is still the dspMusik 2x DSP crossover for 16 channels.  Still waiting on the RevD unit software for the single and then onto the dual unit.  You cannot push SOTA.   

HAL

« Reply #157 on: 31 Aug 2016, 02:15 am »
The 8 ribbon tweeter arrays are completed and will ship to be here next week.

The 24 outlet BlunderBUSS is done and should ship this week.

Danville Signal is sending test code soon for the dspMusik RevD system to test with. Should be ready for a demo in Colorado with a pair of LS-9's by October.  Hope to have the completed 16 channel dspMusik in 4Q '16.

Sometimes you just have to go away and let things happen.

HAL

« Reply #158 on: 5 Sep 2016, 08:23 pm »
A new design variant of the ribbon tweeter was tried and listening tests showed improvements.  The 8 ribbon elements are being reworked and will ship this week. 

The dspMusik RevD firmware is loaded and listening trials started. 

HAL

« Reply #159 on: 9 Sep 2016, 02:44 am »
The 8 - 20" ribbon arrays are complete and should ship tomorrow.  Will be here next week to get installed and testing start.

Will use a passive crossover to the ribbons until the dspMusik RevD 16 channel system is completed to implement the full beamforming for both mids and tweeters.