Record Day

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Record Day
« on: 13 Jun 2021, 03:00 am »
Anyone go home with any Record Day vinyl?  I was at our local vinyl store an hour and half before opening to sign up in the 31st spot.  Got what I wanted, a copy of Quiet Kenny (Kenny Dorham) and Two Against Nature by Steely Dan. 

« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2021, 04:44 am by S Clark »

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: Record Day
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2021, 04:56 am »
I showed up at 7:30 and was 10th in line. Got bored/hungry so I ordered donuts for everyone while we waited. I went home with Opeth - Morningrise and then went on Discogs and found Thrice - To Be Anywhere Is To Be Nowhere. Only thing I didn't get that was really on my list was Pepper - In With The Old.

SET Man

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2021, 11:26 pm »
Hey!

Went to the Rough Trade at their smaller new location here in NYC yesterday. I got there around 1:30PM the line was gone. There were no browsing in store and the manager were too lazy and a bit testy to print out more paper order list to give out and have everyone check the list on the website on the phone and have to have to go around tell everyone the 12 titles that are sold out.

Anyway, I buy only what I like and I didn't see anything interesting this year so I left. There will be a second around next month. I'll check out the list and I hope they are more prepared next time around.

Buddy

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2021, 11:46 pm »
...There were no browsing in store and the manager were too lazy and a bit testy to print out more paper order list to give out and have everyone check the list on the website on the phone and have to have to go around tell everyone the 12 titles that are sold out.
Wow, what a different experience.  Our guy went around talking to all the regulars, and even had donuts for the early crowd.  Browsing was encouraged.  Actually found a NM copy of Brubeck's Bossa Nova USA and an early Sergio Mendes Trio featuring Bud Shank--- both $5. 

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2021, 11:54 pm »
Wow, what a different experience.  Our guy went around talking to all the regulars, and even had donuts for the early crowd.  Browsing was encouraged.  Actually found a NM copy of Brubeck's Bossa Nova USA and an early Sergio Mendes Trio featuring Bud Shank--- both $5.

Hey!

Don't get me wrong I love Rough Trade, their previous location was much bigger but a bit hard to get to. I guess because they just reopened in smaller space in Manhattan they are still settling in. But still I can't see why the manager can't spend 15 mins printing out more list to make it easy for the customers and also the staffs.

Sadly there used to be another record store "The Turntable Labs" in Manhattan but they closed down last year during the height of the pandemic. Yes, they also sell turntables. They used the "paper list/order" method and handled that like a champ I remembered.

Anyway, I'll go there again next month for the second round of RSD 2021.

Buddy

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2021, 04:03 pm »
Norman and I hit three of the six local record stores in the afternoon. I'm much too lazy to get up early and stand in line  :lol:

I ended up with seven albums. Some from this drop, some left over from past Record Store Days and some that I just wanted, like Boston.

We plan on hitting the other three on July 17.