JJ 6922’s

Escott1377

JJ 6922’s
« on: 15 Jun 2021, 10:41 am »
Does anyone have any recent experience with these?  I have read good reviews on the web and they are not at all expensive.  Lots of good reviews comparing them against much more expensive options.

I know quality has been an issue for the manufacturer in the past and that is what I am curious about.

If they have improved their standards and are not producing a better product.

Yes they are not a big investment.  However with just paying the bill for private school for my twins, my wife is not excited about me putting more money into the stereo.

Thanks for your help!

rbbert

Re: JJ 6922’s
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2021, 01:30 pm »
Why not check with Andy at Vintage Tube Services?  I expect that he can set you up with a better sounding NOS alternative for about the same price

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2021, 03:41 pm »
+1 for the JJ's but my experience is only with the E88CC gold pins.  They sound excellent and in the league of NOS tubes that are in the $100-$150 range.  Think GE, RCA, or Amperex (although the GE and RCA are likely made by Amperex).  Too bad the "planned obsolescence" business model is used.  But if a new production tube really lasted 10,000+ hours then they would probably be charging that $150 for it.

You will definitely get better tubes from Andy but I don't think he's competitive with Tube Depot or The Tube Store.  He's not a seller hawking "Christmas tree lights" in volumes, he is a craftsman that provides a service no one else can really match.  Next best is probably RAM Tubes, Roger Modjeski's tube sales company, but they have very little NOS, they just put new production tubes through their very rigorous testing program and they reject a lot of tubes.  Their prices reflect that.

Just my .02.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2021, 04:47 pm »
Next best is probably RAM Tubes, Roger Modjeski's tube sales company, but they have very little NOS, they just put new production tubes through their very rigorous testing program and they reject a lot of tubes.  Their prices reflect that.

Is someone still running the business?

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2021, 05:32 pm »
The website is live.  I checked before posting.
http://www.tubeaudiostore.com/index.html

Delta77

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2021, 06:16 pm »
Why not check with Andy at Vintage Tube Services?  I expect that he can set you up with a better sounding NOS alternative for about the same price

I tried calling V.T.S. (Andy) awhile back with no answer..
Is V.T.A. still in business..

Thanks BURT,,,

Escott1377

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2021, 06:55 pm »
I talked to Andy.  I’m not trying to go NOS right now.  The budget just will not allow it.  I have spent close to $500 auditioning capacitors since the pre allows these to be customized as well.

May move forward with the JJ’s or just use the WE’s that I have.  I was going to mix that pair in with a CV2492 from Mazda from the 50’s.

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2021, 07:40 pm »
I replaced the stock JJ's in my Modwright with National/Matsushita 7DJ8's from Upscale Audio. $50 each, great tubes!

Escott1377

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2021, 09:28 pm »
If I’m looking at JJ’s you know my budget!  :lol:

rbbert

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2021, 10:03 pm »
I tried calling V.T.S. (Andy) awhile back with no answer..
Is V.T.A. still in business..

Thanks BURT,,,

I got some tubes from him earlier this year.  He's almost a one-man shop and so not always available to talk.  Was his voicemail/answering machine on?  He usually returns calls within a couple of days.  I will say IME/IMO he has the best deals on NOS tubes, combining good prices with excellent quality; one just has to be very patient in dealing with him.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #10 on: 15 Jun 2021, 10:18 pm »
The website is live.  I checked before posting.
http://www.tubeaudiostore.com/index.html

I sent an email and received a reply a 2 hours later from Anthony.  :thumb:

eichlerera1

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2021, 04:30 am »
+1 for the JJ's but my experience is only with the E88CC gold pins.  They sound excellent and in the league of NOS tubes that are in the $100-$150 range.  Think GE, RCA, or Amperex (although the GE and RCA are likely made by Amperex).  Too bad the "planned obsolescence" business model is used.  But if a new production tube really lasted 10,000+ hours then they would probably be charging that $150 for it.

The JJ's are good but nowhere near the quality of a NOS Amperex.
I''ve tried both in my ModWright Tubed Pioneer CD Player.
Day and Night.....

TTT

jjss49

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jun 2021, 04:57 am »
gold pin jj 6dj8 equivalents are among the nicest current production tubes of that type, better than russian or chinese ones i have tried

but a decent us japanese or european old stock tube would sound noticeably nicer, more luscious, without loss of detail or 'insight' - if you buy smart, they don't have to cost too much more

Escott1377

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jun 2021, 10:40 am »
As I have sold gear over time, I let most of my NOS tubes go with them.  I owned the Manley Chinook and put a lot of good tubes thru it.  That was also back when Upscale had the Telefunken 7DJ8.

Honestly, with a tube pre, tube DAC, and tube mono blocs sometimes I have trouble even hearing a difference when I changed tubes on a component.

When I changed from KT88 to EL34’s on my mono blocs I could definitely hear the difference, but this was due to a smaller listening space and I enjoy the EL34’s more for the size of the room.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jun 2021, 11:45 am »
The JJ's are good but nowhere near the quality of a NOS Amperex.
I''ve tried both in my ModWright Tubed Pioneer CD Player.
Day and Night.....

TTT
So very true. I also got my Modwright Pioneer with JJ’s and it sounded good but I called Andy who is IMO the guru and he sold me some vintage IBM 6DJ8 Green tops. They are unreal in comparison. Granted they were pricey but worth the extra $$

eichlerera1

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jun 2021, 02:49 pm »
So very true. I also got my Modwright Pioneer with JJ’s and it sounded good but I called Andy who is IMO the guru and he sold me some vintage IBM 6DJ8 Green tops. They are unreal in comparison. Granted they were pricey but worth the extra $$

AB is DA MON!!!!!