Acoustic benefit of blinds/drapes?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Acoustic benefit of blinds/drapes?
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jan 2020, 04:36 pm »
I have two large windows in my room.Bamboo blinds make excellent diffusors.Thick heavy curtains in a second layer over top will help enormously with echo and glare.Controlling bass requires a different solution.Three tried and true methods are #1 multiple subs #2 DSP room correction #3 bass traps.

Or use OB subs.  I've been in really difficult rooms, acoustically, and boxed bass was never able to perform at an acceptable level for me, even with the 3 options you mention.  On the other hand, when I went to an OB speaker, the bass issues resolved themselves immediately. 

Zitoun

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jan 2020, 11:57 pm »
Or use OB subs.  I've been in really difficult rooms, acoustically, and boxed bass was never able to perform at an acceptable level for me, even with the 3 options you mention.  On the other hand, when I went to an OB speaker, the bass issues resolved themselves immediately.

You guys are great, I am seriously thinking about the nx-Otica anyway, but it's hard to take a decision without being able to see/hear the product.

brj

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jan 2020, 11:59 pm »
+1

Look up acoustical curtains (heavy, ugly, and barely effective as treatments).

This is officially the oldest thread resurrection I've ever had!   :lol:

(I asked that question 16 years ago, and have since moved to a different house having a very different listening room, not to mention having a completely different system and different room treatments.  I've also acquired a lot more audio education since then!)

Zitoun, I'd recommend that you start a new thread (still in the acoustics circle) in which you describe your room layout, current system, any existing acoustic treatments, speaker placement limitations, etc.. (ideally with a drawing) and then ask for recommendations.  You're getting a lot of recommendations now, but without knowing additional details of your setup and constraints, it's hard to assess which are actually most applicable.

For what it's worth, I have a geometrically left-right symmetric room, but the left wall is all windows, vs. full drywall on the right.  Since I have a wide room and controlled/constant directivity speakers, I focused on diffusion for my acoustic treatments, and sought to achieve left-right balance by hanging (4) 1' wide GIK Impression series panels on the 3" wide uprights between windows on the left wall, and (3) 2' wide GIK panels on the right wall.  It works very well indeed, with only a few inches of window view lost per window.  Note that OB speakers wouldn't be as effective in my room because while I can bring them in far enough from the side walls, I can't easily bring them out far enough from the wall behind the speakers to generate the dipole radiation pattern that is the mechanism by which OB speakers can minimize side wall interactions.  Thus my focus on controlled/constant directivity speakers instead.  OB subwoofers are even less feasible in my room for similar reasons, thus my use of the swarm subwoofer approach, which also works very, very well.  The swarm approach - if done correctly - has the added benefit of evening out the bass across the entire room and not just at the listening position - a nice benefit if others share the space, though for me, that's usually during a movie watching activity, rather than a 2-channel listening activity.

Good luck!

Zitoun

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jan 2020, 05:30 am »
You guys already have me a lot more than I expected, it's good to learn from others experience. I am pretty new in this area, so I will probably take some time to continue getting higher in my learning curve and get some serious speakers before I start treating the entire room.
Again, thanks a lot guys! You are awesome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #24 on: 27 Jan 2020, 02:19 pm »
Zitoun, suggest matching speakers to the room.  If room is small, speakers should be small.  If room has limited potential (small, odd shaped, lots of reflective materials, lots of outside noises, limited availability (shared space), limited setup options (again due to being a shared space), be honest with yourself and consider a less expensive in-room system, or going with a headphone based system, or augment a less expensive system (possibly HT system if the TV is in the room) with a nicer headphone based system.  By odd shaped I mean long/skinny (that'll sound like a tunnel), or cubic (which boosts inherent in-room bass peaks/dips). 

The biggest mistake I see made in audio is overbuying gear for the available (limited potential) room.  The second biggest mistake I see is buying trophies (lots of big glitzy boxes to show off - like thick sculptured faceplates or fancy veneers that add cost but not sound quality).   Note that previous few of those you'd try to impress are truly interested in audio.  Now-a-days the Cheap and Cheerful circle here at Audio Circle makes a ton of sense especially if you're going the digital route as value is extreme and the sound quality gap between cheap and expensive gear is shrinking. 

To learn about audio recommend learning more about music.  Attend live (unamplified) concerts to learn what "real" music sounds like.  Discover what sonic attributes you seek (tight bass, pin-point imaging, life like dynamics, warm sound, etc.).  Read Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition to understand how speakers behave in-room.  Peruse equipment reviews until you find individuals that you seem to jive with and then follow them.  Then audition gear at friend's homes or at shops.  Audition with a variety of the recordings you like and limit yourself to 3 or 4 auditions per day of stuff you might seriously consider buying to avoid hearing fatigue, and take notes which will force you to really listen. 

Zitoun

« Reply #25 on: 28 Jan 2020, 07:01 am »
Zitoun, I'd recommend that you start a new thread (still in the acoustics circle) in which you describe your room layout, current system, any existing acoustic treatments, speaker placement limitations, etc.. (ideally with a drawing) and then ask for recommendations.  You're getting a lot of recommendations now, but without knowing additional details of your setup and constraints, it's hard to assess which are actually most applicable.

Thanks  for your explanation, And I did create the new topic here : https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167755.new#new

Zitoun, suggest matching speakers to the room.  If room is small, speakers should be small.  If room has limited potential (small, odd shaped, lots of reflective materials, lots of outside noises, limited availability (shared space), limited setup options (again due to being a shared space), be honest with yourself and consider a less expensive in-room system, or going with a headphone based system, or augment a less expensive system (possibly HT system if the TV is in the room) with a nicer headphone based system.  By odd shaped I mean long/skinny (that'll sound like a tunnel), or cubic (which boosts inherent in-room bass peaks/dips). 
Please see this thread and fill free to comment as I am not sure about what is small or big: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167755.msg1779800#new

The biggest mistake I see made in audio is overbuying gear for the available (limited potential) room.  The second biggest mistake I see is buying trophies (lots of big glitzy boxes to show off - like thick sculptured faceplates or fancy veneers that add cost but not sound quality).   Note that previous few of those you'd try to impress are truly interested in audio.  Now-a-days the Cheap and Cheerful circle here at Audio Circle makes a ton of sense especially if you're going the digital route as value is extreme and the sound quality gap between cheap and expensive gear is shrinking. 
I do agree, sometime people are interested in a product because you'll look like a coinnaisseur if you have it, and will be part of the tribe. The same thing happen with the Vynil market and cars, that,s human nature. What will be the best value proposition for you ? you can  answer on this thread https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167755.msg1779800#new to keep it simple. On th aesthetic side, it also makes sense to have something in your living room that does not look like a odd black monolith.

To learn about audio recommend learning more about music.  Attend live (unamplified) concerts to learn what "real" music sounds like.  Discover what sonic attributes you seek (tight bass, pin-point imaging, life like dynamics, warm sound, etc.).  Read Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition to understand how speakers behave in-room.  Peruse equipment reviews until you find individuals that you seem to jive with and then follow them.  Then audition gear at friend's homes or at shops.  Audition with a variety of the recordings you like and limit yourself to 3 or 4 auditions per day of stuff you might seriously consider buying to avoid hearing fatigue, and take notes which will force you to really listen.

Sounds good, that's exactly what  I am doing, you just forgot, ''post more questions on AudioCircle !''

Zitoun

« Reply #26 on: 28 Jan 2020, 07:07 am »
I have two large windows in my room.Bamboo blinds make excellent diffusors.Thick heavy curtains in a second layer over top will help enormously with echo and glare.Controlling bass requires a different solution.Three tried and true methods are #1 multiple subs #2 DSP room correction #3 bass traps.

Bamboo blinds, that's a smart move I may take this idea in consideration for later.