Salk - LCY Ribbon tweeter and performance

jsalk

Re: Salk - LCY Ribbon tweeter and performance
« Reply #20 on: 23 Feb 2010, 04:53 pm »
I'll add this to the list of future projects.  But the first item on the list is currently getting all my attention.  The HT4's (or whatever they will be called) are just a couple of weeks from launch time.

- Jim

polarbare

« Reply #21 on: 23 Feb 2010, 04:59 pm »

Jim might be willing (provided that Dennis would be willing to design the crossover).  I am interested, depending on the cost, and finding a buyer for my speakers.

Just spoke with Jim, and it looks like it might be a future project, but the team is pretty consumed with getting the HT4's finalized.

Edit - beaten by Jim!  :D

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #22 on: 23 Feb 2010, 05:32 pm »
Let me know what you think of the amorphous core, if you get the same wow factor that I did.  I took my speaker with the regular 70-20XR to RMAF and got real familiar with it ... then while there heard about the Kaiser Sawero (or whatever it's called) that was also using the RAAL.  Anybody who heard it knows the ridiculous detail and delicacy it was putting out, and it was using the amorphous core.  First thing I did when I got home was order a pair of those  :lol:

Jim can correct me.  But I don't believe I've ever heard anything other than the amorphous core (whatever that is). 

Nuance

« Reply #23 on: 23 Feb 2010, 06:06 pm »

Jim might be willing (provided that Dennis would be willing to design the crossover).  I am interested, depending on the cost, and finding a buyer for my speakers.

I will give you $12.00 for each speaker.  :D :lol:

Mudslide

« Reply #24 on: 23 Feb 2010, 06:26 pm »
I'll add this to the list of future projects.  But the first item on the list is currently getting all my attention.  The HT4's (or whatever they will be called) are just a couple of weeks from launch time.

- Jim

This next-in-line development possibility sure has my Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.  The only RAAL I've heard is Jim's OEM model.  It is, IMHO, without peer.  I would run out of superlatives describing its ultra-clean and detailed presentation...at least as provided by the HT4 and Dennis' crossover.
Jim, I hope the HT4 with its new driver meets the high bar you've set for it.  :weights:  You'll certainly establish a new standard of loudspeaker excellence-at-any-price with its release.  (For any of you that have not had the privilege of auditioning the HT4, let me just say that it embarrasses every other speaker made, including the ridiculously expensive ones.)  :notworthy:

I'm still saving up my Pepsi cans....

OgOgilby

« Reply #25 on: 23 Feb 2010, 06:36 pm »
I will give you $12.00 for each speaker.  :D :lol:

Heck, I'd give OITP an even $25 for the pair, and he won't have to hassle with shipping them :wink:

On a slightly more serious note... Dennis and Jim, a HT2 TL RAAL upgrade package would be pretty sweet.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #26 on: 23 Feb 2010, 07:47 pm »
Well, obviously Jim will have to make the call.  He already has a pretty crowded lineup.  Also, I can't promise it will sound as good as it does on the HT4, since the HT4's tweeter housing is deliberately configured to minimize baffle effects. 

Nuance

« Reply #27 on: 23 Feb 2010, 11:41 pm »
Good point Dennis.  Personally, I'd be dizzy with joy if I owned the HT2 TL's.  Its plenty of speaker for me.  Of course, I haven't heard the HT3's or 4's yet.  :) 

Honestly Dennis, truth be told, do you think the cost of the upgrade would be "worth it?"  Will there be a striking difference, or are we at the point of diminishing returns here? 

Having the option would be awesome, of course.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #28 on: 24 Feb 2010, 12:17 am »
Good point Dennis.  Personally, I'd be dizzy with joy if I owned the HT2 TL's.  Its plenty of speaker for me.  Of course, I haven't heard the HT3's or 4's yet.  :) 

Honestly Dennis, truth be told, do you think the cost of the upgrade would be "worth it?"  Will there be a striking difference, or are we at the point of diminishing returns here? 

Having the option would be awesome, of course.

I haven't been able to do the right test.  I have compared one HT4 with one HT3, and the HT4 definitely sounded more open.  But that was partly the semi-open midrange.  Since I only have one HT3 and one HT2,  it will be difficult to do a one-on-one comparo.  We may have to rely on Jim for this one.  But I will be able to adjust the crossover easily.

Rocket

« Reply #29 on: 24 Feb 2010, 11:49 am »
Hi,

Would it make sense to have an upgrade option for the HT3? instead of the HT2.  Just a thought.

I agree the lineup is getting a bit crowded but what a range of great speakers to chose from at the moment.  I still really enjoy my ht2 (non tl) after 18 months of ownership.  Remember I've had speakers with raven 1 ribbons and I can't pick the difference in sound quality except for the different profiles of each tweeter.

Regards

Rod