Maggie 1.6qrs vs Salk SongTowers

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Maggie 1.6qrs vs Salk SongTowers
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jun 2008, 06:14 pm »
um...ribbon tweeter in the SongTower!?!  How much more??  How long is the beta test period?

Um--I think I better let Jim handle this from here on out. 

funkmonkey

« Reply #21 on: 11 Jun 2008, 03:56 am »
 :scratch: Hmmmmmm, interesting turn to this thread. 
I guess someone forgot to tell someone else to keep it secret.   :duh:

Kris

« Reply #22 on: 11 Jun 2008, 04:35 am »
This must be a short type ribbon to keep the mid-woofs as close as possible?

jsalk

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jun 2008, 01:59 pm »
A few comments...

First, while some companies like to create buzz by talking about impending products that, at times, never materialize, we never like to talk about products until we feel they are ready to launch.  Some great ideas just don't pan out and if you talk about them in advance, people are disappointed when the products never materialize.  So it is best not to discuss projects until they become reality.  That said, the cat seems to be out of the bag on this one.

So...here is what we know at this point:

When the SongTowers were first introduced, a few people asked whether or not a version could be done with a ribbon tweeter.  At the time, Dennis and I discussed the prospect.  I can honestly say it didn't make sense to me.  It would be a more expensive model and we already had the Veracity QW's (transmission line) and HT2's (MTM).  But, of course, it was an interesting concept, so Dennis went ahead and developed a prototype which was completed recently.

We are currently in the process of building a pair for test purposes.  We expect to have them completed in the next two weeks or so.  We will be using an LCY tweeter in this model.  We are also working on a new prototype baffle system.  While it is too early to judge it's feasibility, we are working to develop a machined aluminum front baffle (we may test a Corian-type material as well).  The idea is to anodize them in both clear and black.  There are a few other upgrades as well. Think of it as a SongTower on steroids (which are street legal where speakers are concerned)  :).

It is estimated that this new SongTower version, if and when it is released, will be priced at about $500 per pair over our current SongTower "custom" model and available only in "custom" finishes. 

In anticipation of a potential question, it will not be possible to upgrade current SongTowers to this new configuration.  The driver spacing is different (by necessity) and there is no way to re-work existing cabinets without rebuilding them (which would be cost-prohibitive).

When will we announce this new model?  The answer is simple: when, and if, it is ready.  Thanks, in advance, for your understanding.

- Jim

robinje

« Reply #24 on: 11 Jun 2008, 07:56 pm »
The custom finish SongTowers are $2000 right now.  I think that means the SongTower ribbon version would be around $2500, if my math is correct.  That's still much less than the QW or HT2, but the cabinets and mid/woofer drivers are certainly different in the Veracity line.  I would certainly be interested in the ribbon SongTowers when/if they become available.  Hmmm...   aa

jsalk

« Reply #25 on: 11 Jun 2008, 08:08 pm »
The custom finish SongTowers are $2000 right now.  I think that means the SongTower ribbon version would be around $2500, if my math is correct. 

That is correct.  Then there is the cost of the chosen veneer to consider.  In some cases, this could add a few hundred more.

- Jim

Nuance

« Reply #26 on: 11 Jun 2008, 09:07 pm »
LCY Song Tower's - SWEET!!   :thumb:

redskinsfan

« Reply #27 on: 12 Jun 2008, 05:18 am »

Sooo, does that mean new Song Centers and Song Surrounds sporting the new drivers? :o

sanlanman

« Reply #28 on: 12 Jun 2008, 12:03 pm »
Maybe its time to start a development thread for this new critter with ribbon (Not Electrosatic, see Dennis, I've learned the difference.)

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #29 on: 12 Jun 2008, 01:55 pm »

Sooo, does that mean new Song Centers and Song Surrounds sporting the new drivers? :o

Oh, that's right.  Some of you use these things for HT.  How gauche.  Well, the ribbon, should it materialize, will be pretty much for Mozart for awhile. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #30 on: 12 Jun 2008, 02:05 pm »
Banal!  Word!   :duel:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #31 on: 12 Jun 2008, 02:51 pm »

Hey Big Red.  Don't take me on.  I work in Washington and have friends at IRS.  Now let's see--what's all this about writing off Salk speakers as a business expense-- :scratch:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #32 on: 12 Jun 2008, 03:01 pm »

Hey Big Red.  Don't take me on.  I work in Washington and have friends at IRS.  Now let's see--what's all this about writing off Salk speakers as a business expense-- :scratch:

Funny.  Will I see you next week?

redskinsfan

« Reply #33 on: 14 Jun 2008, 05:53 am »

Oh, that's right.  Some of you use these things for HT.  How gauche.  Well, the ribbon, should it materialize, will be pretty much for Mozart for awhile. 

Yo Dennis, 2 channels are better than 1; ergo, 5 channels . . . 300% better still! :lol: