upgraded from STRT to HT3s

ernest787

upgraded from STRT to HT3s
« on: 14 Feb 2014, 09:15 pm »
So i just upgraded my vinyl set up from the STRT and a 10' tc sub to a set of HT3s and moved my STRT and sub to my living room for tv usage. 

I love my STRT but as I'm sure most of you know listening to them got my mind wondering how much of an improvement I'd hear moving up the Salk tree.  So a week or two back I was browsing the board and so a post for a pair of HT3s in the avail now section.  I jokingly mentioned them to my wife.  To my surprise she said, so do you really want them?  If so go for it.  My jaw dropped and I got in touch with Jim and a week later here they are!

I haven't had a ton of time with them yet, but I must say I am soooooo impressed.  I knew they would sound better than my STRTs just from reading what others have said in the past, but I didn't expect the difference to be this drastic.  They play low, and the bass is super punchy.  The mids are crystal clear.  The guitar tones I'm hearing on these have me closing my eyes and feel like I'm in the room.  They really are a treat.  I've spent the last 3 hours sitting on my couch just going through record after record and being blown away over and over again. 

I'm now planning to upgrade my amp situation.  I figure it's only right that i get a tube amp to run with my crown to take full advantage of the bi-wire capabilities on these things.  Of course I'm also wanting to upgrade my turn table now as well, lol.

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
Re: upgraded from STRT to HT3s
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2014, 10:05 pm »
To my surprise she said, so do you really want them?  If so go for it.  My jaw dropped and I got in touch with Jim and a week later here they are!

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch...  :bomb:

ernest787

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2014, 10:15 pm »
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch...  :bomb:

eat now and worry later, lol

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2014, 10:17 pm »
ROTFL!!!!! My kind of answer!!!!  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2014, 01:10 am »
Sounds like someone should get a special Valentines present.  :D  Happy listening  :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2014, 01:24 am »
Good for you, ernest!

Unfortunately for me, my wife seldom says such things when it comes to stereo.  :cry:  I think she grits her teeth and hopes I don't spend too much money. She is of the opinion $50 computer speakers sound just fine.  :scratch:

I look forward to actually hearing all these speakers I've been reading about. Soon....

Austin08

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2014, 01:33 am »
Someone told me that "it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission". It works on me couple time. :green:

robcentola

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2014, 01:44 am »
Someone told me that "it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission". It works on me couple time. :green:

Aint that the truth! ;)

What they don't truly understand is it's never done, over or complete. It's a more than a hobby, it's a quest.

I Love, love and love my standard ST's. However, I'm already thinking about an upgrade. Of course HT3's are on the top of my list, but the size would be a mountain to climb with the WAF. She's loving the ST's too and would spend a lot of time scratching her head wondering "Why aren't you happy with what you have?" I'm thinking she doesn't understand that I AM happy. I just want more. I'm addicted to "more"

You're a lucky man, as I am.

I just got married a few weeks ago and I feel over-the-top blessed. She married a music freak like herself, but now she's finding I'm addicted to the very best reproduction on music short of being there. She's not far behind me.

Next year, Jim, next year.........

Enjoy your speakers!

ernest787

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2014, 02:25 pm »
Thanks everyone. Yeah I'm lucky that she understands my obsession and for the most part supports it. Now I just have to wait for tv right moment to casually mention I "need" a new amp and turntable lol

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2014, 04:45 pm »

Unfortunately for me, my wife seldom says such things when it comes to stereo.  :cry:  I think she grits her teeth and hopes I don't spend too much money. She is of the opinion $50 computer speakers sound just fine.  :scratch:

Which I always find baffling. Outside of audio circles, they always say that women's hearing is more sensitive than men's.   :scratch:

Rocket

« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2014, 02:05 am »
Hi,

I moved up from Salk Sound HT2's to HT3'S and I noticed a nice improvement in sound quality.  The two major areas of improvement are the midrange and bass.  I also used a salk sound rhythmic subwoofer with the ht2's and the bass was good but I prefer the bass of the ht3's imo.

What amplifier are you using with your speakers?  I'm using Spread Spectrum Technologies Ampzilla 2000's which are rated at 300 watts per channel.  The speakers are quite inefficient and whilst the amps are quite powerful the speakers on occasion make the amplifiers clip.  I'd suggest a high power digital amplifier from wyred 4 sound as a first option or one of Audio Van Alstines' amplifiers.  If you want to secondhand there are lots of options on audiogon.

Cheers Rod

ernest787

« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2014, 02:37 am »
I had a crown xls2000 for my STRT and was very pleased, but upgraded to a crown xls2500 for the ht3s.

It is doing a sufficient job of handling the load but these speakers definitely need lots of power. My hope is to eventually use the crown to power the subs on the ht3s and then get a van alstine tube amp to handle the mids and highs.

Rocket

« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2014, 03:55 am »
Hi,

I thought my Ampzilla 2000's would handle the inefficiency of the HT3's easily but I was a bit shocked that during some loud bass passages I could get the amps to clip.  I have had some problems with these amps in the past blowing fuses so I don't know if it is my particular amps that were the problem.  I had to use slow blow fuses in the amps and they appear to work well.

Anyway, I do think the HT3's are a good step up from the HT2's.  Btw mine use the aurum cantus g2 ribbons as opposed to the raal tweeters.

Cheers Rod
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2014, 05:00 am by Rocket »

gadfly

« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2014, 05:01 pm »
Hello,

I've had ht3s for 3 yrs. with wyred4sound sti-1000 amplification.  Plenty of power but not much magic.  It can
be costly and frustrating trying to nail down amp/speaker synergy.  Why not just ask Jim Salk?  I did, and am
currently waiting for delivery of Van Alstine AVA separates.

Just my 2 cents-

gad-

WGH

« Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2014, 06:41 pm »
Plenty of power but not much magic.
It can be costly and frustrating trying to nail down amp/speaker synergy.  Why not just ask Jim Salk?
I did, and am currently waiting for delivery of Van Alstine AVA separates.

Just my 2 cents-

gad-

So far every time I replaced my AVA amp with another brand the magic disappears and the Salk's sound lifeless. I have sent my amp back for upgrades twice and each time the sound with another amp was just average; I would rather watch TV. And don't get me started on the NCore's.

Wayne